March 29, 2024, 12:28:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: can not load projecct from the hardware  (Read 11310 times)

stuey

• Spark Moderator
Re: can not load projecct from the hardware
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 12:26:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

Let me try to explain the reason why we removed this shortcut:

- In Spark 1.0 -> 1.6, there was no browser for instruments in the software. You could either load from the hardware using the screen, or use the mouse and the drop down menus. When using the hardware workflow you didn't need to be in a specific panel to get it to work.

- In 1.7, we added the Browser, which was implemented as a new pop-up window. It was logical to keep the Jog Wheel click shortcut because this window was separate from the rest of the interface.

- In 2.0, the Library browser is a new panel inside the GUI and not a pop-up window anymore. For this reason we decided that it would be logical to open it in the same way as we open the other panels. The shortcuts for panel selection are: Select+step1  through 8 (select+step7 for Library).

- The Jog Wheel scroll doesn't have any effect unless you are currently viewing the Library panel
     - Now that we have the Select+7 shortcut, the jog dial click is redundant.
     - We want to keep the Jog Wheel click free for future features.

I hope you get the idea behind this decision, and that it won't be a deal breaker for you.

Seb.

That's all irrelevant Seb

What about the now redundant big grey know on the unit I spent £400 on?
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 12:27:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

- In Spark 1.0 -> 1.6, there was no browser for instruments in the software. You could either load from the hardware using the screen, or use the mouse and the drop down menus. When using the hardware workflow you didn't need to be in a specific panel to get it to work.

- In 1.7, we added the Browser, which was implemented as a new pop-up window. It was logical to keep the Jog Wheel click shortcut because this window was separate from the rest of the interface.

- In 2.0, the Library browser is a new panel inside the GUI and not a pop-up window anymore. For this reason we decided that it would be logical to open it in the same way as we open the other panels. The shortcuts for panel selection are: Select+step1  through 8 (select+step7 for Library).

- The Jog Wheel scroll doesn't have any effect unless you are currently viewing the Library panel

I hope you get the idea behind this decision, and that it won't be a deal breaker for you.

Seb.

That's like saying

"Oh, and we've removed the pattern functionality, so to switch patterns, you now have to press, Shift 1, Shift 2 etc etc "

Utterly backward.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:32:19 pm by stuey »
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 12:31:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

Seb.

Another prime example of people making decisions when they have no idea of how the unit is meant to be used. Ask any live musician on this board and ask them what they think of removing, what is essentially a preset button. When you're playing live you need that direct access to that page without having to press all manner of other buttons to get there.

Utterly counter intuitive 
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 12:44:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

Seb.

Seb, It's not a shortcut. On the Spark unit It's a physical rotary knob which says "To switch modes, click and hold dial for 1 sec"

Now, when I do this in Spark 2, nothing happens. Are you going to change the lettering on all the Spark units being made?

To maybe: "To switch modes, firstly press Shift and 7, then click and hold dial for 1 sec"

What you have to remember is that you are supporting a piece of hardware, this isn't all about the Spark software and therefore the decisions you made with the conception of the hardware unit, absolutely have be honoured throughout the life of the software.

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

mixalis

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 02:21:00 pm »
I thought Arturia said that they will include the shortcut in the next update...
They just were in a rush for spark 2...          Drag and drop is another feature that is not ready yet...If you want to load your samples you have to do it from the library...

I dont have a problem to wait a little bit for the next update...Spark 2 is so nice...

But these features cannot just be removed... So if you mean when you say ' we want to keep the jog wheel click free for future updates' that the shortcut wont happen ...Please reconsider

napishu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »

I dont have a problem to wait a little bit for the next update...Spark 2 is so nice...

Realy?  :o http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=82248.0

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 03:01:01 pm »
First thing is first.

Support the hardware and honour the decisions you made with the conception of the hardware unit, all hardware buttons absolutely have to be honoured throughout the life of the software. We are not against future improvements to the GUI or the software workflow, but there are two things to be considered here.

Hardware then Software. I think that the upgrade has devalued the ownership of the original hardware unit.

Stu

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:48:16 pm by stuey »
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Johann

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:35 pm »
Well, since I started this threat, I feel a little responsible to calm the situation a bit down.

I try to understand both sides, but there seem to be some unlucky verbalizations.

to the customers (including myself):
Of course we want a product that does everything and more and NOW. With Spark we can already see, that the product came a long way, and there is no reason to believe, that it stops here. It is our responsibility to tell the developers our opinion, so that they can make a better product (better for the user, because he gets what he wants / better for the developer, because happy customers improve credibility). I personally DONT think, that demanding features in such an aggressive tone is the right way. First of all, you dont motivate anyone by crying like a little child - you could make it even worse! Secondly, be glad, that Arturia offers us a platform to share our thoughts after all - this is a first step towards a solution and you can be a part of it.

to the developers:
Your comunity is your capital. I personaly think, that you can only win, when you take your customerfeedback seriously! That also includes beiing honest. Of course my first thought, when I read Sebs explanation, was "yeah sure, they couldnt stick to the deadline, so they try to whitewash a missing feature, by implying potential new features (which also arent there yet!)". I can only believe you. But that doesn't exactly create credibility, although you try to preserve a professional image. It makes me as a user feel patronized. It may sound illogical to any boss, but to admit a weakness can bring you sympathy.

to the bosses:
Quality doesnt cost - it pays.

this were just basic thoughts of mine. Now one last comment - an idea for a compromise regarding Sparks big clickable dial:
Why dont you just create an option in the preferences which allows you to select, how the dial is working? This way everybody can be happy. (and btw.: this could be a solution for other similar problems)

Spark is such a great and unique machine. That this debate became so (how shall I put it) emotional (?) shows us, that it has great potential!

love an peace  8)

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2014, 12:21:18 am »
User experience is everything. It can make or break a product. Developers, however genius they may be at code, are not users. Marketeers however good at what they do, are not users. CEO's are not users. The people that use these products day in, day out on projects and their work are the people that make them what they are.

If this were only about software then it wouldn't matter a single jot. Either it's this shortcut here, or it's that one there, It doesn't matter it's software, you can make it what you want because it's virtual. But... When you have specifically made hardware to facilitate the use of software, you have to be 100% sure that the functionality stays the same, because you have hardware compatibility to uphold.

A physical product that many many people throughout the globe, own, removing functionality that has specific control and lets be honest, that has cost the company thousands of dollars/pounds/euros to design, test & build; is short sighted. It shows that development has been focused on the software and corners have been cut to shoehorn in compatibility with another controller (SparkLE).

I'm sure people on here do demand features, but for this thread it's all about questioning one being taken away. Many demands are very specific to someones workflow and doesn't really help the wider product.

The forum is here partially to deflect technical support, and yes that is useful for both user and company. Crying like a child? Aggressive!? Maybe you're reading the wrong thread.

Stu

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 01:45:23 am »
Hi everyone,

Seb.

Seb, I don't understand the use of the word 'shortcut'. A shortcut is used in software in order to get where you want to go, quickly. They can be moved and assigned to whatever you like. Obviously in software packages, they are set up by the developer.

There are myriad midi controllers out on the market where the user can assign a particular parameter to a particular control. They don't have specific controls mapped and they can be routed to however the user wants them. However, the range of Arturia products are specifically mapped. All the keylab series, the laboratory series etc etc. They were designed and built in order to facilitate the use of a specific software product.

That said...

I mentioned to Kevin today that the 4 sub menus once in the library need to be set in the prefs, as by default it lands on Instrument. If that sub menu could be set by the user so that it stays on a particular saved state, shift 7 to activate the library would be easier to workaround as it would be saved in a constant position. With the added view of the library able to show/hide view of the kits and banks, this could be a pretty powerful.

Equally, the scroll wheel destination could be set by the user to either Project, Kit, Instru. or disk.

And finally, what's wrong with having two buttons do the same thing. Your shift 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, for continuity and direct access for live and time critical performance driven usage.

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 07:40:29 pm »
I hear your argument stuey.  The CDM hardware jog dial is big, clickable, and already labeled with its functionality.  It probably should work as labeled.   :-\

ikt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 08:18:08 pm »
Really disappointing, I should have returned this thing when I had the chance, instead I waited for 2.0 like a fool.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:48:20 pm by ikt »

ikt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 08:47:04 pm »

Seb.

Oh man, if that's the type of decision making process your dev team uses, I'm out. This isn't going to get any better. Why beta test at all then?

Out.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 09:13:06 pm »
I hear your argument stuey.  The CDM hardware jog dial is big, clickable, and already labeled with its functionality.  It probably should work as labeled.   :-\

Finally, reason +1 karma coming your way!
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 09:21:00 pm »
It's the bias to the software that I find unnerving. It's like they forgot they made a hardware box.

This is one huge error on what is, a really really great like drum machine. I would urge the dev team to give the update to a producer and a set of live DJ/ Musicians etc and see what the feedback is.

If you're in the middle of a mix with a client breathing down your neck and you keep making the same mistakes due to the biggest knob on the box having been disabled. Or you're in a live situation and you don't have time to click all over the place to get where you want to go.

STu
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7