March 28, 2024, 11:53:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: New to digital music  (Read 1404 times)

angryblue

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
New to digital music
« on: April 30, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »
Is it possible to record a synth you're controlling live in another program on the same machine?

I've grown up as a guitarist loving my pedalboard, but don't know a lot about digital recording. Usually, i'll just mic one track at a time, but it would be rad to be able to play (minilab) on my machine and record in guitar band or audacity at the same time as opposed to have one computer as my workstation and then have my synths go into it via a separate interface.

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
Re: New to digital music
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:59:45 pm »
It really depends on the capabilities of your soundcard, you would generally need to use ASIO for your main music making App, and then in audacity you could try using wasapi or MME to see if you can record the software sound, sometimes called 'What you hear.' It must be supported by the hardware in that scenario.

However it sounds as though you aren't using a DAW? If not that is the way forward as it's like a virtual recording studio and designed for what you describe, you would actually record a midi track of you playing the Virtual Instrument as opposed to recording the audio. If you don't have a DAW Reaper is probably a good start as the demo is fully functionally and doesn't expire, though you get a longer nag screen over time. It is very cheap to buy as well, about 50-60 dollars from memory I think. Then find some tutorials and start learning :)

Guitar band? maybe you mean garage band? In which case you need to find some garage band tutorials.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines