March 28, 2024, 07:46:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Dear Arturia  (Read 7736 times)

mgoossen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Dear Arturia
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:08:28 am »
Hello Phillipe & Arturia team,

I enjoy my Origin Desktop considerably- it is amazing unit!
The sound quality of the Origin is top notch, but ironically, because the Origin is such a deep synth with a steep learning curve, many users become frustrated.
I'm sure you have noticed there are many negative comments from frustrated Origin owners, on this forum and many other sites. Most of these complaints usually involve requests for the Prophet V oscillator/filter, or for templates for the CS-80, 2600, Mg Modular etc.It takes a long time to get to know this synth, and templates (fixed architecture) would've helped new users immensely! Immediate gratification is the reason analog synths (like the MiniBrute) are so popular ;D

Many of us have been requesting templates, not only for ease of use, but because the product was sold with the promise of these.
Frederic Brun clearly states Origin users can expect these templates by 2008 in your promo video. See: (4 minute mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwoRvnt7H-o

I am hopeful there is a reason you have recently re-uploaded the Origin videos;) Is there any hope we will see these promised updates, or any others?

Your answer would be greatly appreciated by ALL Origin owners.

Thank you,
M

dwp2659

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Dear Arturia
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:09:35 am »
the silence is deafening...

Philippe

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:46 am »
Well....

As an Arturia employee I'm not allowed to disclose anything about any company's projects.

The only thing I can tell you is that I'm "lobbying" for a new version of Origin (I mean HW and SW), or something of the same kind. Wether this lobbying will be successful or not.... the future will tell us. Chances are not zero, but not that high at the moment, at least in the short term.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:36:53 am by Philippe »
Origin Lead  Developer

mgoossen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:02:02 pm »
Phillipe,

Thank you for your response (and honesty)

Also, why is the Origin currently advertised on your website as having Prophet V features?
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/origin/intro.html

How much effort/time would be required to ad this (already advertised) feature?

Also, are the new features currently added to Spark 2.0 compatible to the Origin platform? There seems to be a similarity in design.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:27:26 pm by mgoossen »

Cord

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:41:08 pm »
Well....

As an Arturia employee I'm not allowed to disclose anything about any company's projects.

The only thing I can tell you is that I'm "lobbying" for a new version of Origin (I mean HW and SW), or something of the same kind. Wether this lobbying will be successful or not.... the future will tell us. Chances are not zero, but not that high at the moment, at least in the short term.

Philippe,

I understand that Arturia envisioned a more successful platform with Origin. I think, from what you have posted here, the sales from the Origin would not keep you afloat. I also understand that updates do cost money and with little return, this is difficult to justify.

However, Arturia has to understand our concerns as well. We bought into Origin, some very early on, like me. We invested time and money to make sounds and incorporate the instrument in our music. So, from our standpoint, we did nothing wrong but we get treated by Arturia as if we are freeloaders. What really concerns me is the longevity of the product if Arturia does not even address warranty cases of their product currently sold in stores. I think this extends to the stores as well, otherwise I cannot explain why major stores are selling the Origin Keyboard, non-working for half the price instead of getting it fixed and sell it at full price.

Anyway, Arturia should step outside the box and objectively look at the situation from a customer perspective. How would you feel when you purchased a quite expensive instrument, and then cannot get spare parts or repair work done, if needed?

At the current time, with the limited support we were granted by Arturia, I cannot see of anybody buying into a new concept again. Arturia has to make good on promises and while I would agree that the current OS is quite stable and gives plenty of functionality, what is missing is customer service, especially for hardware issues. Arturia should take pride in the Origin and act accordingly.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:53:25 am by Cord »

mgoossen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 07:42:51 pm »
I am confused by the concept of company secrecy, when products need to be geared towards a customers wants and needs.
The Origin is a perfect example of a product that should and can be successful with customer involvement.

Firstly this product is not profiled on Vintage Synth Explorer.
Secondly, it has virtually no YouTube demos showing off its abilities.
Have a contest, show the product off.

This is one of the best synths on the market,
it does things the Virus, Voyager and DSI Prophet can't, yet no one can hear it.

I like what Cord said
"Arturia should take a pride in the Origin and act accordingly"

The Origin is a wicked synth, it should be treated like one

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:57:33 pm »
However, Arturia has to understand our concerns as well. We bought into Origin, some very early on, like me. We invested time and money to make sounds and incorporate the instrument in our music. So, from our standpoint, we did nothing wrong but we get treated by Arturia as if we are freeloaders. What really concerns me is the longevity of the product if Arturia does not even address warranty cases of their product currently sold in stores. I think this extends to the stores as well, otherwise I cannot explain why major stores are selling the Origin Keyboard, non-working for half the price instead of getting it fixed and sell it at full price.

Anyway, Arturia should step outside the box and objectively look at the situation from a customer perspective. How would you feel when you purchased a quite expensive instrument, and then cannot get spare parts or repair work done, if needed?

It's really scary if this is true. I have big knob problem in my quite new Origin KB and other knob problems with my older Origin desktop. I contacted Arturia quite many times about the big knob issue (this is still a warranty case) and all I got was silence. After few emails from David they simply stopped handling this case and I got no response to my emails. If this is their way to handle Origin issues, how they can think we would buy another Origin or anything from them? Maybe we are just so few people that they don't care what we think...

Origin is a flagship product from Arturia for sure. It has tons of features, marvellous GUI and great sound. This is obviously a product that has been developed for years. In general, I think, quite often flagship products aren't supposed to sell shiploads of units. Many companies make flagship products mainly for making reputation or strengthening their brand. Unfortunately in Origin's case it has become quite opposite. It's sad if Arturia leaves their flagship product with all these problems.

And frustrated Oring users aren't gonna go away, even if Arturia makes it officially discontinued product. If fact we are stuck with our Origins. Considering myself a honest person, I can't see how to ever sell it to anyone. Would I tell him/her that this Origin Keyboard has had this big knob issue since very early times, its other knobs won't probably last very long, MIDI out does not work (software problem) and cannot be guaranteed that any of these problems will be fixed...

If I could see little more future for it I would happily think having it for my entire life. Now, as a professional player, I have to little by little start thinking another instrument which I can trust (and this means also that customer service/support works) and to which is wise to invest also my time (programming etc.). This being said, I will use my Origin as long as I can.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:11:58 pm by JacksonP »

mgoossen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 07:08:59 am »
Well....

Sad to hear the development of Origin 1.0 is now complete.
Best of luck with 2.0
I think the Origin would be more successful in a Blofeld/Access Snow (minimal format)
1.0 has a lot of features that are cool to have, but could live without at a lower price.
Please consider adding the steiner parker filter and samples, but don't lose the Joy Mixer!!!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:22:12 am »
^ I can't see Philippe saying the Origin development is over. On the contrary, he's been saying there will be an 1.5 update, even if it's been a  long time now.

The (revised) specification still mentions that ARP 2600 and CS-80 templates are to be delivered as a free upgrade. The products information says Version 1.5 is planned for a Q3 2011 release - that info needs an update, I guess...

Now that we are talking about it: Dear developers, how is it looking for the 1.5 update?

Major Kong

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:12:54 pm »
Personally I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade, as long as something happens. A win-win, as far as I can see - I get the upgrade; Arturia gets the dough...  ;D

To me it all seems as someone got cold feet after a while and decided to pull out of the deal. Thus we have a stalemate and the only way to break a stalemate is to make compromises and this is my offer. Call it version 2 or whatever, just get the thing out of the door and charge me for it so you can make a business case of it.

Arturia: your move...  :D

sneakyalien

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 01:26:28 pm »
Could we not all get together and agree to put some funds in to pay for the creation of the updates, such as the cs80, 2600 templates and the prophet 5 filters/osc would be amazing.
I think if Arturia delivered those, most of us would be happy and would then concede that we at leas got what we were promised.

Surely it is not that mammoth a task to convert the Prophet 5 osc's and filter code of their existing plugins to work with the Origin? I mean I bet if Arturia just put a few months into it, we could get our final and promised update.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines