March 28, 2024, 05:51:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CV issue with Roland SH-2  (Read 5403 times)

keredsenoj

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
CV issue with Roland SH-2
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »
Hi - finally got my hands on a BeatStep - love it.

An issue i'm having is my SH-2 synth is only getting Gate from the Step Sequencer - No pitch. All the wires are plugged in the right places. The Sh-2 works fine with CV/Gate from my MiniBrute, so the cables etc are fine.

Anyone else having similar issues with Vintage synths?

D

CFM

Re: CV issue with Roland SH-2
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:43:01 am »
There seems to be loads of problems with the beatsteps CV - not working with the Stylophone S2

ganglio

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:36:27 pm »
Same issue with sh-101. No pitch

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:49:17 pm »
HI, i found that beatstep doesn't work with all synths with cv gate . when i was testing this  arturia are aware of this and in the manual it states to check  that beatstep will work with your instrument . beastep is a 1volt per octave (7 volts)and upto 8 volts on gate. but i have found the gate could be as low as 5 volts. beatstep doesn't work with my roland stuff that has kenton cv fits from the 90's. (gate 10 volts)

so check your instruments

regards

terrym
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:51:03 pm by terrym »
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

r23d

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:42:32 pm »
Hi Keredsenoj and Ganglio,  the SH-2 and SH-101's CV specs match up with the beatstep so it should work.

I think the comment in the manual about the beatstep not working with some synths refers to the Hz/volt and s-trigger kind of standards Yamaha, Korg and others used.   

The beatstep outputs in 1v/octave and gates at +8v according to the manual
For the sh-2, CV is in       1v/octave and gate is anything above about 7.5v
For the sh-2, CV is in       1v/octave and gate is anything above about 2.5v

Mbe check your cable, sockets etc?

Anyone else have a working cv/gate link with these synths?

Good luck!

Rich

Richard

r23d

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 12:48:00 pm »
Just another thought keredsenoj, I'm assuming you've tried using your beatstep to drive the minibrute via CV to test the CV out of the beatstep to check it's working OK.  Worth testing if u haven't tried...

r23d

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »
Terrym, have you tried using a voltage step-up converter to get the gate working on your old rolands?

For about $2 it might be worth getting one and making up a little inline circuit to get the gate signals up to 10v if it can operate fast enough :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-DC-Adjustable-Step-Up-Power-Converter-XL6009-Module-Board-4A-Maximum-Current-/251454403276?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3a8bd9b2cc&_uhb=1

ok, I'll shut up now... :)

rich

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 05:18:47 pm »
Hi thanks for the advise but i spoke to kenton and was advised i could take out a resistor from my tb303 kit and this would step down the voltage needed to power it .but I'm not going to do that as i  have a dedicated cv box from kenton .and i can plug the beat step into it via the midi port.

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines