March 29, 2024, 12:12:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Feature suggestions / wishlist  (Read 16052 times)

vegradd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Feature suggestions / wishlist
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:38:43 pm »
Took the time to read the other posts here, and it seems like people had more or less the same wishes. So, decided to just make a wishlist for future updates. Please post your ideas here.

My first would be:

Shift+Big Knob = Swing
Shift+Encoder = Gate
Shift+Pad in SEQ = Legato/glide (setting a glide step, like P-locking on Elektron gear)
Shift+Play = MMC/Transport Record

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:41:02 pm by vegradd »

newgreyarea

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Feature suggestions / wishlist
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:28:49 pm »
MIDI IN!!!!!

I want to buy one of these so bad but having it as the master or having to use it with a computer is not an option. I'd probably buy a few of these if it just had a way to sync to external gear.  :'(

Mallard

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:36:02 pm »
My wish list:

- much faster knob acceleration in CNTRL mode (currently unusable)
- kind of active step mode (disabled steps will be skipped)

Thanks, Mallard.

echolevel

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:42:48 pm »
vegradd - yes! This hardware's fantastic, and the features that are present are great, but it desperately needs a few more things added.

A legato step/glide step function is essential. Shift+pad in SEQ is currently used for setting scale mode, playback options and timing divisions, but maybe Shift+Chan+pad would be good for this?

Hardware access to swing/gate also seems essential - not having it (and, as far as I can see, not even being able to automate it by MIDI CC from a DAW) really inhibits the Beatstep during performance, which is a shame because it's capable of this stuff!

Accent - I'm not quite so bothered about this, but it seems like having two preset levels of pad velocity would appeal to many people, especially X0X-type fanatics. So toggling on a pad might send a 110-velocity noteon, while a shift+[something] combo allows toggling of already-active pads that send an accented step at 127-velocity. Maybe a slightly different pad colour/intensity would signify which steps were accented.

As pleased as I am with the Beatstep, I'm surprised that none of these features have been implemented already - especially legato/glide step!

Good work so far though, Arturia :)

miguelmarcos

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:35:07 pm »
Yes to Shift+Play = MMC/Transport Record!

keredsenoj

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:27:58 pm »
+1 for - Shift+Encoder = Gate.
BeatStep really needs hardware control of the Gate!

Great job on a great product Arturia.

Dansedessaucisses

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:11:48 pm »
+1 vegradd, agree entirely

why not copy/ past function too to create faster several sequences ?

oh and really important : faster knob behavior in midi control mode. Actually it's really unusable as Mallard said.... five complete turn for a 100% send in reverb or delay aux for exemple ! Forget the "Live" dynamic effects in this state... :(
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:37:25 am by Dansedessaucisses »

vegradd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:13 pm »
Ah,that's true, but as you suggest SHIFT+CHAN+PAD might work.
As for accents, one coul maybe implement a double-tap or long-tap pad to set accent, wit a different color intensity.

As for midi in, it supports midi over USB bi-directional, so maybe there is some kind of interfacing that can be done externally?

I must say I love the unit though. Set it up, turned if on, and used it in track on first run! That doesn't happen often!

vegradd - yes! This hardware's fantastic, and the features that are present are great, but it desperately needs a few more things added.

A legato step/glide step function is essential. Shift+pad in SEQ is currently used for setting scale mode, playback options and timing divisions, but maybe Shift+Chan+pad would be good for this?

Hardware access to swing/gate also seems essential - not having it (and, as far as I can see, not even being able to automate it by MIDI CC from a DAW) really inhibits the Beatstep during performance, which is a shame because it's capable of this stuff!

Accent - I'm not quite so bothered about this, but it seems like having two preset levels of pad velocity would appeal to many people, especially X0X-type fanatics. So toggling on a pad might send a 110-velocity noteon, while a shift+[something] combo allows toggling of already-active pads that send an accented step at 127-velocity. Maybe a slightly different pad colour/intensity would signify which steps were accented.

As pleased as I am with the Beatstep, I'm surprised that none of these features have been implemented already - especially legato/glide step!

Good work so far though, Arturia :)

teceem

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 10:49:29 am »

Maxidingue

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:35:32 am »

My first would be:

Shift+Big Knob = Swing
Shift+Encoder = Gate
Shift+Pad in SEQ = Legato/glide (setting a glide step, like P-locking on Elektron gear)
Shift+Play = MMC/Transport Record

Totally agree  ;D ;D ;D+ + + + + + + + + + + + + :o ;D :o

MaxIDINgue

berliner

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 06:14:14 pm »
A vst-Integration for the Stepseq.to see all Note-Changes in realtime.

SB-SIX

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:26 am »
I don't have a Beatstep yet, but I would get one if you could play the pads like a keyboard, quantised to a selectable scale, and able to transpose up/down easily.
As I understand correctly, now you can only assign fixed notes to a pad.
the above would be awesome for live playing external hardware without missing a note.

vegradd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 03:21:51 pm »
There's a max4live plug, The Schwarzenator or something similar (by Henrik Schwarz) that does exactly that for any keyboard you like. It simply takes the incoming midi note and "quantize" it to the nearest correct note of the scale. Similar to what the BeatStep does in the scale mode / seq

SB-SIX

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 09:29:59 pm »
Yes its a live native midi effect too but i want to use it in my hardware-only setup. No laptop/pc

ednolbed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • my sounds
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 10:37:53 am »
I personally would love it if the pitch could be detached from any scale. If, for example, the 'USER' scale could have a 'Free' setting, so one could program microtonal pitch difference, especially when using CV this is excellent, but for MIDI this would be totally excellent as well. I find it a bit limiting to have to use tempered scales.

Then, something else that's been remarked already is that the sequence goes out of sync when the number of steps is altered or when time division is altered. This is rather bothersome, it would be cool if one could at least have the option to force this to some time grid. I mean, it's also really cool that it CAN go out of sync, and that you can use it to make it stutter, but then again, I have noticed that you have to hit the pads on an upbeat when changing step number. (Am I making myself clear here?)

Another thing that would come in handy, is if there was a way of jumping to the next octave, escpecially when playing the pads. I jammed with it in Live yesterday evening and found it somehow frustrating to have to use a 'midi pitch shifter' in Live to be able to play all the sounds of a drum kit, since it didn't seem possible from the Beatstep itself (or am i missing something here?)

As mentioned in a different topic, some implementation of Tap Tempo would be awesome...

There aslo a serious sync-problem, but I'll put that in different topic. (It syncs very badly when hooked to Live, there an unpredictable amount of Lag/Latency).

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines