March 28, 2024, 05:35:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: odd pitch behaviour using cv/gate with the microbrute  (Read 18651 times)

andyr1960

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: odd pitch behaviour using cv/gate with the microbrute
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 03:19:39 pm »
I've just had a thought - We're dealing with digital here, powered from 0-5V via USB. Somewhere along the line Arturia must have decided on a happy medium (literally) to decide where the central voltage is to allow the sequence to be programmed up or down, in the Beatstep's case, that's a +4V default encoder output.

Analogue sequencer pots generally have a centre position of 0V allowing for a -Ve and +Ve voltage swing... Beatstep obviously can't do this, although it would help a little if the lowest output voltage was 0V - Maybe they couldn't do that for some reason due to the design?

There you have it… problem explained. Arturia, can I have a job please ;D

protosynthesist

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 08:58:44 pm »
Not sure if this helps anyone, but just in case it does.

I just got a Microbrute and Beatstep this weekend and was excited about playing with the CV functions of the two. I was initially frustrated when I tried to hook the two of them together, as I experienced the three octave behavior noted here. I did some testing and at least got a suitable workaround. These are just my observations.

It's important to note that the "Pitch" function on the mod matrix is not an "objective" CV input. Its output is tied to the keyboard of the Microbrute. The initial relative pitch of your sequence coming in to the Microbrute from the Beatstep can therefore be affected by it.

If the Microbrute is powered up with the Beatstep already on and connected, my sequences will start in a low register. The second I hit a key, however, the pitch gets shifted way up. From this observation, my guess is that it has an initial default power-up setting, but after that, it is responding to the last key pressed (and actually apparently playing a note three octaves above that).

My process is to either power-up with the Beatstep on and connected (and not touch the keyboard) OR start with the Beatstep "pitch" input unplugged, shift the octave down three octaves (you can do three octaves even though it looks like it might only do two) and then play the lowest C on the keyboard. Then, plug the CV out of the Beatstep into the "Pitch" in of the mod matrix. The pitch should be shifted down now, because it is basing everything on the last note played.

You can also play any key while the sequencer is playing and hear the shift, but note that the octave shift will only occur in the sequence if you hit a key after shifting the octave down (just pushing the octave +/- keys doesn't do anything).

This may be really obvious to most of you, but I thought it might help someone.

keredsenoj

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »
I was having the same problem - beat step connected to a Mg Little Phatty. I discovered that while I had a sequence running, I hit a low note on the keyboard and it transposed the sequence - problem solved.

avandelay

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 08:16:47 pm »
Not sure if this helps anyone, but just in case it does.

This helped me!  Thanks.  I'm running an old Arp AXXE with my Beatstep Pro and I was having a hard time figuring out why it was running several octaves high.  With the power up sequence that you mentioned, I've got it running properly and can play the fat low octaves.  Thanks!

Oeconomo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 01:11:08 am »
WTF Arturia. You actually make publicity for the beatstep pro with 8 minibrutes and microbrutes connected, as if they were made for each other, and we have to wait to get both (or the three of them) to notice that they are completely incapable of working fine together.
You are actually promoting things your products can't do and don't even give feedback when we don't understand what's happening.

jeromej

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 05:03:19 am »
Connect the Beatstep to the Microbrute, only then turn on the Microbrute. The notes from the Beatstep will play at the right pitch. If you accidentally press a Microbrute key and the sequence is transposed, transpose the keyboard to Octave -3 and press the lowest key (C). It will transpose the Beatstep sequence back to its normal pitch.

(from Rob Robinette's comment on this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC8o_rzMM-c )
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:23:49 am by jeromej »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines