March 28, 2024, 06:41:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Firmware Update  (Read 99429 times)

robbneu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Firmware Update
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 11:59:37 pm »
Wow... what a disappointment.  Like everyone else in this thread, I can't get the MIDIControlCenter app to either sync with or update my Beatstep.

A couple of points that are probably worth pointing out:
- I'm running a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 Mac Mini with OS 10.9.4 and 4 GBs of RAM
- The MCC app seems to recognize that the device is plugged in, because the Memories slots, Sync, and Firmware Revision buttons all "light up" when it is plugged in.
- I've gone through multiple attempts to get this firmware upgraded, including rebooting my computer, trying alternate ports, unplugging any other Midi gear I have that is plugged in and might be interfering, etc.  I've followed all or most of the steps outlined elsewhere in this thread and other threads linked from here.

When I unplug and plug the Beatstep in, it does not go into upgrade mode automatically.  It runs through it's usual "pads light up in sequence" light show and then all the lights go dark except for the Cntrl/Seq button, which lights red.

When I force firmware upgrade mode by holding both the stop and start buttons it skips the pad lighting sequence and all the buttons on the left EXCEPT for the stop button, light up (White = Play, Red = Cntrl/Seq and Store, Blue = Ext Sync, Recall, Shift, and Chan... Stop is not lit).

In Apple's Audio MIDI Setup app (Utilities) the Beatstep does not show up automatically.  If I click "Add Device" I get a generic "new external device" that doesn't seem to be tied to the Beatstep in any way.  When I click "Test Setup" I get a tone when I press the pads on the BS, but I get the same text tones when I press keys on another device that isn't listed in my window as well.

Those of you who have updated Firmware via another computer... does it allow you to sync on your computer that wasn't recognizing your Beatstep once it has been updated?

Sorry for the rambling post.  I wanted to provide as much information as I could.  Any help or resources anyone can provide would be appreciated.  I feel like once I can get this thing going, I'll be really happy with it.

Robb

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2014, 08:49:57 am »
Hi rob, I will try to help if i can , but first you need to check a few things.
Do you have the latest midi control  centre ,it should be 1.1.0 (check the about pane) see screenshots.(not firmware number)
next plug in beatstep to the usb then check to see if its showing up in the mac ok .go to top left corner and about mac /then more info/then system report /and find usb tab on the right you should see beatstep in the tree .see screenshot.
next go to audio midi set up and check to see the beast step is in the midi setup. most people miss it as its off the screen so when the windows open scroll to the right and you will see it .see screen shot.
if all is well download the latest firmware below. 1.1.0.0.
and try this press the firmware revision button click upgrade find the firmware file then unplug beatstep . plug it in again and press ok.

let me know if this helps at all. i know you may have done all of these steps.

regards

terrym

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:01:55 am by terrym »
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

robbneu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2014, 02:44:00 am »
Thanks for the quick response, Terry!  It's appreciated, especially considering it's the weekend.  I apologize for not getting back sooner, but I was at a conference all day.

And, yes, I'm using version 1.1.0 of MCC.

I did try all of the steps you mentioned, but the tip about scrolling around in Midi Studio is terrific!  I don't know how I missed that before, but sure enough, I scrolled to the right and the Beatstep showed up.  It does not show up as it is listed in your screenshot, however, as it shows up as "USB Midi Device" instead.

I've seen a couple of posts that suggest that the name might be a part of the problem, so I followed the steps shared by theotrst in Reply #4 of this thread, but that didn't work either.  The Beatstep, after having it's named changed and then ultimately removing it, did show up as "Beatstep Updater," but I'm still not having any luck with the Firmware upgrade.  I'm still getting "Failed to open the device." whenever I try to sync or upgrade.

I don't have another modern computer at home to try this, but I could probably upgrade with my Windows PC at work.  If I get the firmware upgraded, can I expect sync to work on my Mac, even though I can't get it to work now?  Does the firmware upgrade fix this issue?

Thanks again!

Robb

aaxon

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »
This is a major disappointment and has been since I bought a BeatStep in April.  I have never gotten it to work.

I am using the latest MIDI Control Center (1.1.0)
BeatStep shows up in the system report
I've created an entry for the BeatStep in AudioMIDI setup

MIDI Control Center recognizes the presence of the BeatStep, but will not update the firmware.  I have tried multiple times.

Could you please supply complete instructions about how to fix this.  I've been living with a useless BeatStep for four months now.

Michael

robbneu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 11:37:36 pm »
So, I updated the firmware on the Beatstep to the latest version, using my work computer, and... my Mac at home still doesn't sync to the Beatstep.  I'm still getting the "Failed to open the device" error, despite the upgraded firmware.

It has to be the MCC software.  If I can connect, sync, and upgrade properly on Windows there's something broken with the Mac OS version.

Has anyone here who has run into these issues managed to try any other Arturia devices?  I've had my eye on Spark, but I don't want to waste even more money on a device that refuses to work for me.

Robb

nolongerhuman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 12:42:59 am »
Spark LE at least worked fine for me on a Mac. Beatstep would work 15% of the time, after many restarts, plugging and unplugging, and opening and closing windows, renaming devices. Ultimately I am incredibly disappointed in the woefully inefficient support for this thing, and sold it just a couple of days ago. Lost $40. Whoo. Cheaper learning experience than some, but... it honestly has cast Arturia in a very, very negative light for me. I will likely not purchase future products, which is kind of a shame.

GnollinZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 01:06:30 pm »
Any update on when new firmware will be available? So many issues need to be resolved to make this a useable device.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 03:06:46 pm »
Hi , i have not seen an update yet to test . what problems do you have as mcc on osx is working fine with me on all arturia products .
what do you want to see in the firmware update?

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

RadicalAns

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 06:04:38 pm »
Features I'd love to see in the beatstep:

- Sequence Chaining
- 32 step sequences
- Transpose via MIDI
- Transpose up/down octave
- Switch sequence via MIDI
- Better knob acceleration

GnollinZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 03:16:50 pm »
Hi , i have not seen an update yet to test . what problems do you have as mcc on osx is working fine with me on all arturia products .
what do you want to see in the firmware update?

terrym

I don't have any issues with MCC, and I use the BeatStep regularly on Mac OSX 10.9.4 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Ableton Live 9 on both platforms.

My issues:

1. Gate/CV into MicroBrute: Transpose isn't applied until the sequence is started - makes it effectively useless. When, with the sequence stopped, I use a rotary encoder to select a note, I expect that note in the sequence, not a note that's several semitones up/down!
2. MIDI note data from sequences arriving late in Ableton Live. I have tried *everything* to correct this.

These problems have been reported on the forum by multiple users.

frp

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 07:42:03 pm »
Yup, the same problem here, only it is with Windows7. The Control Center finds the BS, but won't sync or update. When syncing, I get the message "Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application." When updating the firmware, I get "Could not get firmware revision." But if I click on the UPGRADE button and try to load the LED file,  I then get the message "Firmware update error,  Please verify the device is not in use by another application."

Trying the plug/unplug hold down the START/STOP buttons doesn't change anything. Since I have been jamming with this for a while with my synth, is it possible that I have hit a key combination that screws up communications w/Control Center? Sequencing the synth works fine.

Does anyone know of conflicts with Windows programs?

van heinous

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »
I can't believe the Beatstep doesn't have drum machine functionality - that's the main reason I bought it!

You guys should really put that on the next release. Just have a third mode on the function key - Drum Machine mode - and when that is on, the pads turn another color - red, green, whatever - and then pressing shift + any pad in that mode picks the pad to be placed in the sequence. You already have everything else there. If people could use Beatstep as a dedicated drum machine for drum racks in Ableton - that thing would sell like crazy(er).

GnollinZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:35 am »
Any word from Arturia on a new firmware release?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2014, 04:19:33 pm »
Hi , As of yet i have not received  any new firmware to test but they may not be remote testing it .

regards

terrym

TerryM

olekyhl

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2014, 05:06:16 pm »
Have spent several hours trying to get Beatstep to work on my Mac. Supposedly the Yosemite 10.10 update is an issue?
There is no communication between the software (MidiControlCenter) and hardware (the pads).
Tried the procedure described above (Macs Audio MIDI setup) deleting, unplugging, etc. It worked the first time, but next day the problem was back and the 'procedure' failed to improve the situation.
It's a shame, the pads are really nice. I simply want to use it as an instrument, so why does it have to be so complicated, guys?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines