March 28, 2024, 03:27:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark Improvements!  (Read 164241 times)

HubyBlake

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • hugmusic.net
Re: Spark Improvements!
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2015, 02:12:23 am »
Ok, my URGENT improvement requests:

1- A PROJECT IMPORT/ EXPORT FEATURE (not only bank-preset)

Yeah an "export song" (as wav) option would be awesome.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2015, 11:49:29 pm »
- !!! CPU USAGE !!!
- shift patterns (full pattern and single/multi-instrument level) by step, note, or bar
- copy paste individual instruments between patterns (single and multi-selected)
- copy pattern from one instrument to another, within the same pattern
- delete individual instrument patterns within sequencer page (single and multi-selected)
- create random pattern (all instruments or selected-only)
- randomize automation parameters
- basic pattern fill-ins -- such as every 1st beat, every 1/8th beat, triplets every 1/2 bar, etc
- audition entire kits without loading them (click in the image on each instrument perhaps?)
- improve project management
- export song PLEASE!!

I am LOVING Spark so far, but it can indeed use some improvements

EDIT: thought of a couple other things
- A way to rate/favorite both kits and instruments
- Better project management on the LIbrary page. add/remove classifications, folders, etc.
- A way to add notes/info to projects
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:04:14 am by artao »
This space left intentionally blank.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2015, 02:44:31 pm »
Basic Copy and Paste features within the sequencer page.

Applying to all lane and parameter information.

For example, I want to make an 8 step pattern into a 32 step pattern keeping all info from the 8 but extending into a 32 step pattern. An easy way to copy and paste all information, including pitch, velocity, cut off, resonance etc etc.

Or I want to follow a cut off frequency with the pitch though out the pattern. Either a copy and paste option from 1 lane to another or a 'follow' option that when applied will follow automation from a currently selected value.

Thanks,

Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

jsmirk

« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2015, 09:00:30 pm »
adding this from another thread
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=83333.msg118802#msg118802

In Preferences, remove the words "yes" and "no" from next to each check box.  It only adds confusion about what the action of clicking the checkbox will do.  This has always made me have to think twice when changing the values. Having only the checkbox is better UI design.

ofpi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2015, 06:29:38 pm »
Basic drag and drop samples into the main view (to the drum pads). Please keep working on this Arturia, so much potential here and your users are loyal.

jsmirk

« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2015, 06:52:30 pm »
Basic drag and drop samples into the main view (to the drum pads). Please keep working on this Arturia, so much potential here and your users are loyal.

This is already possible, at least for me on Mac.  I drag and drop samples from a Finder window all the time.

However, drag and drop should also be implemented for the Sampler module in the Studio view.  Imagine, drag and drop samples to load up each layer... yum.  Currently, to use drag and drop in this manner, you have to select a layer, switch to Main, drop sample, back to Studio, and on and on.

ofpi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »
Yep, this is what I mean, too many steps to do something that should be so simple.

It would be cool to have 2 or more small boxes that show up in the individual pads that you can choose as layer destinations for a sample, that way you can quickly drag and drop to layers and test different combinations! That would be crazy good.

jsmirk

« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2015, 07:09:59 pm »
Yep, this is what I mean, too many steps to do something that should be so simple.

It would be cool to have 2 or more small boxes that show up in the individual pads that you can choose as layer destinations for a sample, that way you can quickly drag and drop to layers and test different combinations! That would be crazy good.

I've put forth the idea that the Main view should stay focused on performance/groove-building (keep features for kit setup limited), and make focus the use of Studio and Mixer for setting up your kit.  I also strongly believe that the Mixer and Studio views should be combined because there is way too much overlap in functionality, and what doesn't overlap could be unified. See: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=84144.msg119717#msg119717

Kit setup: Studio/mixer
Pattern editing: Sequencer
Performance: Main

daksha

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »
I would REALLY & simply like the ability to choose mono or stereo channels.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2015, 04:14:40 pm »
There's a real danger that features requests just get out of hand. I think we should not loose sight of what Spark is, in essence a drum machine. The fact it has a mixer and a sequencer etc is all very nice but lets not loose sight of the fact that it's a drum machine, initially released to work as an old skool drum machine, MPC style with some nice emulsions of old kits.

Cheers, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2015, 04:15:24 pm »
I would REALLY & simply like the ability to choose mono or stereo channels.

If you'er using this in a DAW, just use a mono midi/inst track.

Cheers, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

jsmirk

« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2015, 05:49:33 pm »
There's a real danger that features requests just get out of hand. I think we should not loose sight of what Spark is, in essence a drum machine. The fact it has a mixer and a sequencer etc is all very nice but lets not loose sight of the fact that it's a drum machine, initially released to work as an old skool drum machine, MPC style with some nice emulsions of old kits.

Cheers, Stuart

I agree with this, Stuart.  I was recently reading a review of that discussed how the Maschine software is incredibly bloated in its current form - it's now a DAW of its own. I, personally, would hate to see Spark go in that direction. I think there are already parts that are completely unnecessary(as a drum machine) such as the modular - it would make more business sense to sell a modular plugin separate from Spark. I would prefer to see Spark slimmed down to be strictly a drum machine/sequencer and have the focus placed on creating a smart workflow for that one purpose. Fix the bugs, give me a good library browser, provide better sample editing, let me do more from fewer screens. I would gladly pay for a Spark 3 upgrade than to see the software continue to collect dust on the shelves of the Arturia product team except for a yearly update. 

I know i've bitched a lot on these boards, but I still use Spark as my primary drum machine. Mainly because it has a nice tactile controller that is useful while building grooves due to mute, solo, and visual feedback - i get the most out of it once I can stop interacting with the gui, but even then it's buggy in Logic.  I have evaluated Nerve and Geist, but they don't have a tight controller integration. I don't live in a place where I can go try or buy a TR-8 or some other hardware drum machine, but I wouldn't even be considering these other options if Spark was a joy to use.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2015, 06:43:49 pm »

I think there are already parts that are completely unnecessary(as a drum machine) such as the modular - it would make more business sense to sell a modular plugin separate from Spark. I would prefer to see Spark slimmed down to be strictly a drum machine/sequencer and have the focus placed on creating a smart workflow for that one purpose. Fix the bugs

+1 Absolutely.

Mainly because it has a nice tactile controller that is useful while building grooves due to mute, solo, and visual feedback - i get the most out of it once I can stop interacting with the guy

Indeed. I've harped on at Kevin and the guys at Arturia to give me LCD feedback based on my laps knob movement as well as an easy way to navigate the kits and projects without having to look at the GUI.

In a live or a perforce scenario you have two hands on the controller and both eyes. You can't keep one eye on the GUI and one hand on a mouse.

I'm fine with the software being the software and for those who use it without the hardware, but I think that the workflow should be biased towards controller integration. The software has taken on a life of it's own and left the hardware integration behind. The two need to be pulled back together.

I would be happy with the main drum controller screen, song tab, a library of sounds and a sequencer window, that's all you need.

I like the idea of the module but spark isn't the DSI Tempest and it feels somewhat out of place, especially on sampled sounds.
The mixer window is too much info, it's not a DAW. Multiple outs are needed for greater control in post but this can surely be dealt with another way.
The prefs tab should be a operating system or background menu item, and is not needed in the final GUI whatsoever.
I don't personally use the song tab but it's on the original hardware and should be retained, I can see it's uses for live use and even in a DAW workflow
The Library should be combined with studio, retaining it's Library name. All sound changes could be done here quite easily.

That's how I see it. Strip it back to it's original idea, remove the faff and concentrate on sold reliability for the user.

In it's price bracket, Spark cannot be beaten and it's a really nice tactile surface. If the DSI Tempest was £400 then I would have got that, but it's nearly 3x the cost and using the Spark everyday as I do I never tire from using the controller, i just feel that cartain things have been lost.

I don't think we should even be talking about Spark 3, Spark 2.5 maybe but this should just be a re-visit to desperately needed workflow and bug fixes.

Cheers, Stuart
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:48:36 pm by stuart »
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

mixalis

« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2015, 09:56:06 pm »
I agree on the lcd feedback based on what you move..Because at the moment when you are working on the sequencer for example and tweek any of the instrument parameters you dont know what you are doing!

But i disagree on everything else..Spark 2 is very organised and doesnt need any corner cuts....
Everything is very well done at my opinion and based on workflow... It only needs some details here and there and ofcourse bug fixes and its ready!

Back on spark improvements i think it would help to be able to copy the effects from one slot to another with ctrl and then drag and drop!
Also the ability to  drag samples straight to the sampler would help! ( then you can work inside the daw much faster)

About tune mode! What exacly am i tuning here? i mean what note is it? we only get info about how low or high it is from the original sample..

Cheers!

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2015, 10:24:31 pm »
I agree on the lcd feedback based on what you move..Because at the moment when you are working on the sequencer for example and tweek any of the instrument parameters you dont know what you are doing!

Exactly - I would forego everything for the ability to have this. Not knowing what is going on seems totally ridiculous in my opinion. 

But i disagree on everything else..Spark 2 is very organised and doesnt need any corner cuts....
Everything is very well done at my opinion and based on workflow... It only needs some details here and there and ofcourse bug fixes and its ready!

Corners being cut is exactly why we are in this situation in the first place. Lots of things have been touched but no one thing has truly been worked on and perfected. The early Spark was far less cluttered than Spark 2, with all these new features being added, we just have a bloated under performing version of something that used to work really well   

Back on spark improvements i think it would help to be able to copy the effects from one slot to another with ctrl and then drag and drop!
Also the ability to  drag samples straight to the sampler would help! ( then you can work inside the daw much faster)

These are all fine ideas and will be useful to somebody, I feel almost like issuing an embargo on asking for new features :) so we can define exactly what spark is, and work on that before adding more things that will probably cause you more pain.

About tune mode! What exacly am i tuning here? i mean what note is it? we only get info about how low or high it is from the original sample..

Agreed, although the starting note/sample will always be different. How could you define the start point to therefore give a note value when tuning?

Cheers, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7