March 28, 2024, 11:08:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: when did we get prophet5 osc,filter and sem osc???  (Read 4860 times)

u.n.i.t.e.d

when did we get prophet5 osc,filter and sem osc???
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:14:51 pm »
i hope that this time we dont must wait a year again for the next update. To bring this long time desired modules in the next update would be a great pleasure for the user and for new users who are interessted in the origin!

bigbrass

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: when did we get prophet5 osc,filter and sem osc???
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:29:37 pm »
Prophet 5 filter would certainly be most welcomed. According to Arturia's P5-V manual, their implementation is based on the famous SSM2040 filter chip, which is one of the best sounding filters ever, and overall my favorite 4-pole lowpass filter.  SSM2040 definitely has a distinct sound that makes it unique. Besides the P5 Rev.1 & 2, it was used on Voyetra 8, and SRM Cat by Octave Plateau (later known as Voyetra). By the way, check out Voyetra 8 on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHJbUShzbXg

Heavenly analog sound...
Later revision Prophets employed Curtis CEM3320 chips that were also used on a number of other vintage analogs (Pro-1. OB-8, Elka Synthex & more...). These chips are generally regarded as inferior to SSM chips, but like anything to do with music and sounds, it's all in the ear of the beholder.

As far as oscillators go, there is nothing particularly special about P5 rev.1 & 2 oscillator.
Those revisions use SSM2030 oscillator chip, and its waveforms and behavior are not that distinct. It was replaced in later revision Prophets with Curtis CEM3340 chips, and guess what... we already have it at our disposal, because it was also used in Jupiter 8 which Arturia has already implemented ! As far as Oberheim SEM oscillator, it's a discrete circuit (no custom chips) that is not very temperature stable, with saw, pulse & pwm. Again, as far as Origin goes, it's probably not worth implementing, as it's not as unique as say Mg or CS-80 oscillators. I think it makes sense to model these in virtual versions of Prophet and SEM to pay out most attention to detail, but as far as Origin, I think the existing oscillator models can be substituted with great success. Maybe Arturia could put some of their efforts into implementing a "different" type of a sound source - perhaps something along the lines of Karplus-Strong algorithm / physical modeling, which could easily be implemented on Origin.
I think, in conjunction with already existing modules, it would unravel a whole new world of sounds and spark more interest in Origin... 8)

P.S.

Ckeck out Karplus-Strong implementation on a very cool sounding Accelerator synth by Radikal Technologies :

http://www.radikaltechnologies.com/accelerator_sound_examples.html

I love guitar solo on Performance Check1 example... Sounds like something Yngwie would play...

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:59:07 am »

I second that, Prophet-5 SSM filter would be absolutely FANTASTIQUE!

And fix the CS-80 voice allocation please!  :)

u.n.i.t.e.d

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:14:14 pm »
nevrtheless i want the whole package:-) the RSF Kobol has the same SSM2040 chips in his filter and envelopes so thats a reason more why i want the prophet5 filter. But by a realistic view the next update come next year autumn and thats just much to long!!! I still hope arturia give more attention to his best instrument and bring us more modules and improvments

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »

I HEARD LADY GAGA WANTS THE SSM2040 FILTER IN THE ORIGIN A.S.A.P. FOR HER CURRENT TOUR!!

She said now that Spark 1.5 is out, Arturia needs to redirect all of the programmers to Origin development!  :-*

bigbrass

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »

You can't say NO to the LADY... or she'll tear off a strip steak of her dress and slap you over the face with it...  ;D

Meanwhile, John Bowen's Solaris offers SSM2040 as one of the available filters to choose from...  ;)

http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris-specifications.html

u.n.i.t.e.d

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:52:02 pm »
and also a Mg Modular FilterBank would be very welcome as a module for the origin!!!!:-)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines