March 28, 2024, 06:43:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: The Ultimate Spark Upgrade (v2.0?) - VST Hosting  (Read 6207 times)

Stingent

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The Ultimate Spark Upgrade (v2.0?) - VST Hosting
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:31:58 pm »
I can't see that anyone has asked for this.....and I appreciate this is a biggie.

Why can't Spark Host VST's?

Well, there is no technical reason (I'm a programmer!) it's just difficult. Very.

But the leap forward this would mean for the Spark (and therefore the Spark Community including me) would be enormous.

Sparks would leap off the shelves as fast as that black-n-orange box from Berlin. $$$

I don't know the ins and outs of VST programming (although I'm happy coding in a Plugin environment) and maybe going through the DAW might be better.

Either way, when I hit a Pad, the sound going to another vendor's Instrument would be a game changer.

mauronedj

• Beta-testers
Re: The Ultimate Spark Upgrade (v2.0?) - VST Hosting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:18:23 pm »
This is a really good idea, but Machine already do this.
I choose the Spark for it's sound, it's physical modelling machine.

I hope that this product sell very large amount of copy so it involve the Arturia's team to improve it.

That said, i repeat, it's a good idea :D

Stingent

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:18:20 pm »
I'm 100% certain they will have discussed this at the highest level.

It'll purely be development costs versus predicted Sales increase.

Although, of course, some will say this is not what the Spark was supposed to be. But if Maschine can do everything that Spark can do, then the Spark must step up to the plate.

Having both, I prefer the form factor of the Spark. And there ARE more knobs and buttons!

mauronedj

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »
Having both, I prefer the form factor of the Spark. And there ARE more knobs and buttons!
I've tryied machine but I don't like it, it's just a stupid thing that I can really well replicate whit simple Ableton live and drum rack.

I already have ableton so the only improvement for my drums sequence are any good machine like Tempest, TR series, Linndrum etc...Or Spark...

The hardware is so sweat but it's so difficoult to achieve the same result in the same time, so I prefer the Arturia's new solution, that Hybrid drum machine :D.

I think that the Spark is born whit the purpose to emulate all this kind of drum machine (really well in my opinion) and help us workflow whit VSTi integration.

So for me the improvement that should be made are all others, like a real sample layering (all playing togheter), more effect's (hopefully some new and usable reverb) and an improved Host Integration (allow us to register the autonomation from all the knob not only the drum notes).

JM2C
Mauro.

SLiC

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:53:44 pm »
Please- no VSTi intigration,. dont make it a DAW. I sold maschine as it lost its basic drum machine MPC functionality in the DAW WARS - I want a good drum machine, simple to drive...

+1 on on Ableton (drum) racks and midi slice doing just about anything maschine does and a lot more. I used to use Maschine as a Cubase plug in, now Spark does it better...looking for ward to 1.5- improve the sound, improve the editor (look at Tremor for an example of a great workflow, or hardware like Tempest) and please get rid of the slide open graphics and give us a docking or left/righ sided pattern editor....

mauronedj

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:47:35 pm »
looking for ward to 1.5- improve the sound, improve the editor (look at Tremor for an example of a great workflow, or hardware like Tempest) and please get rid of the slide open graphics and give us a docking or left/righ sided pattern editor....
Please give it to us, I will publicize your product all over the world!  ;D

For the slide animation, just speed it up and make it more fluid and less Graphic card avid :P

Schrage Musik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »
No! Please no VST. DAWs do VSTs. That's what they are for. Spark is a drum machine, pure and simple. Look at the heap of garbage that is Maschine. The perfect example of what we British refer to as 'a jack of all trades, master of none'. NI are trying to get mass-sheen to do so many things that they're pissing off one bunch of people for missing stuff and another bunch for including other stuff (though they've managed to please most of their users with pretty, coloured, light-up pads).

mauronedj

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:06:42 pm »
No! Please no VST. DAWs do VSTs. That's what they are for. Spark is a drum machine, pure and simple. Look at the heap of garbage that is Maschine. The perfect example of what we British refer to as 'a jack of all trades, master of none'. NI are trying to get mass-sheen to do so many things that they're pissing off one bunch of people for missing stuff and another bunch for including other stuff (though they've managed to please most of their users with pretty, coloured, light-up pads).
I don't agree with you, if you don't need external vst in the machine, than...don't use it!

Personally I love the ability to add VSTFx in the effect slots because the Bundled one's are not really good, expecially the reverb!

wintersunproject

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:14:16 pm »
I don't agree with you, if you don't need external vst in the machine, than...don't use it!

Personally I love the ability to add VSTFx in the effect slots because the Bundled one's are not really good, expecially the reverb!

Totally agree, but it might be too hard to do ?

mauronedj

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 09:35:31 am »
Totally agree, but it might be too hard to do ?
I think that the code is not so simple to implement but the guys from Arturia are very good programmers, so it's not impossible in the future!

I mean, they have programmed the Laboratory to open they're VSTis!

brother303

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »
Please,

no VST-support. Keep it simple and straight and improve the cpu-usage and workflow.

If you want to use vst-fx you just have to route Sparks individual-outs to Ableton-audiotracks.

Cheers
Greg

Schrage Musik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:55:31 pm »

It's not that simple. If the code is there then already it's interfering and upping the CPU load; already it's adding an uneccessary layer of complexity.

You mention 'external' VSTs. What's to stop you using those? Just like brother303 says.

Leave Spark to do the job it was designed for. Let it do one job well, rather than do several badly.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines