February 28, 2021, 08:06:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Strange User Preset Issue  (Read 1075 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: 0
Strange User Preset Issue
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:23:49 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my Spark software in which a specific kit (which I REALLY don't want to lose) doesn't load correctly. It's a little unpredictable, so I'll explain this as well as I can... For reference, I called this kit "Reptile". Here is what happens:

When I load up Spark (i.e. turn on the controller & load up the software), if the last kit I used was Reptile, it loads up that kit, but there are none of the patterns that I had previously saved for it, and hitting the pads does absolutely nothing at all. What I can tell you is that I've looked at the bottom page to see if the samples are still loaded and mysteriously enough, they are listed as the correct samples. If I try closing the program, it crashes. The crash happens quite often I'm using the standalone (usually, I'm using Spark through Ableton Live, which poses similar problems).

Mind you, all of the other presets work just fine, and that includes my other user kits. And yes, I had Reptile saved long before this began to occur. But something else happens if I've loaded a different kit before opening the actual program (as in, it was the last kit before closing Spark), we'll take the "Acid" kit, for example...

So, I load up Spark and Acid is the up on the LED, etc... As I said before, it plays just fine. Now, when I try loading Reptile, the kit loads, but in this instance the samples are able to be heard normally as long as I hold down each pad for a long enough period of time (it seems to be dependent on each sample). If I just quickly tap the pad, I get to hear the correct sample and also a bit-crushed kind of noise that accompanies the sample. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the pattern bank is taken from the last used kit, so in this case, I get to hear a terrible version of my Reptile kit, but arranged in the pattern of the Acid kit.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? Will I have to remake my entire kit or is there a way to recover it? Honestly, if I could just get the patterns back, that would be plenty, but if not, I'm prepared to start from scratch. Anyways, thanks for your time.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1.545
  • Karma: 82
    • http://www.arturia.com
Re: Strange User Preset Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:15:08 am »
very strange, never saw this before.

A few questions:
Are you on Mac or Windows?
Is it possible for you to send me your kit?

I think you can recover the patterns by following these steps:
- create a new kit
- go in the library section
- select reptile but don't load it
- drag each bank from the lower part of the library (the blue one) to the upper part (the orange one). This will copy banks from reptile to your new kit.

Soft Arturia


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: 0
Re: Strange User Preset Issue
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:18:26 pm »
I'm running Windows XP (SP3), but it seems that's a moot point. I tried what you said, and unfortunately it did not work. After that, I figured I'd compare the configurations (DAT files) on Reptile to the other kits. Turns out the Reptile one was only 10 KB whereas all the others are >100 KB. Maybe that's an indicator of some kind of file corruption. I don't know how this happened, but I'm fairly sure there's no way to recover what was lost. Regardless, thanks for the help, Kevin. Now I know that I probably ought to save a couple copies next time I'm working on something important.


Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines