March 28, 2024, 08:38:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Song Position via your DAW  (Read 13796 times)

shabbyroad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Song Position via your DAW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 10:21:10 pm »
Hi,
you are right there is no song position sync in Spark.
You may implement this in the near future.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, is there any plan or likelihood of implementing song position sync ? It's a real limiting factor and the workarounds aren't very elegant.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 11:24:21 pm »
The first thing I do is record the audio from the multiple outs, obviously after setting up a beat. This way I can just use Audio tracks in Pro Tools and dump the Spark plug in. It's a hungry insert, I have 12 tracks of 1073 UAD EQ and 5 tracks of LA2A as well as other reverbs and other UAD processing. But, it's spark that moans when inserted into a channel. Hence I try and make it inactive as soon as I possibly can.

I wouldn't want a 'follow song' addition in Spark for many reasons, i'd be too preoccupied that Pro Tools would crash with the spark insert on a track.
I love my spark, it sounds great and is very easy to get beats going. It's a cool live tool and great in the studio, but it's not a very good plug in. You just have to learn it's limitation and focus on it's strengths 
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

shabbyroad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 04:57:40 pm »
Main reason I'd like position pointer is when I'm writing and don't want to "lock" my decisions into a track in Logic just yet.

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 03:14:21 pm »
I've been using automation to control pattern changes in Ableton so as long as a part that contains the nodes is looped it's in Sync.  I'm interested however in learning how to do this in using midi notes.  How is this done can anyone quickly explain that?
It would be great to be able to sync Spark at any given spot in Live.
Mac Pro 3.1,2x2.80 GHz. Intel Xeon Quad core 16GB RAM
2 OS drives: El Capitain 10.11.6\Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Ableton Live Suite 9.7.7\10.0.2
V collection 3, SparkLE 2.1, Beatstep

erik_oostveen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 03:28:52 pm »
When, if ever, will the Spark LE support song position?

My old 20th century Roland R8 had it, NI Maschine has it, why hasn't the Spark??? 

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 04:03:16 pm »
That's specific DAW plug in stuff and spark isn't specifically a DAW plug in

My old 20th century Roland R8 had it, NI Maschine has it

Use one of them, then :)

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

erik_oostveen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »
There are some work-arounds like triggering patterns by giving each a key number, which does work in a primitive way --- I'd rather have the Sparkle automatically follow my track.

I sold my trusted Roland R8 many years ago but, yes, will be using my Maschine instead next time :-)

... too bad though as I do like Sparkle when I am on the move.

Please, please Arturia add song position!

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 02:13:47 pm »
There are some work-arounds like triggering patterns by giving each a key number, which does work in a primitive way --- I'd rather have the Sparkle automatically follow my track.

Indeed, see an earlier post i added. Basically giving each pattern a midi note, as the song moves on it changes the pattern.
Or use Song mode.

What i tend to do is, once I have a beat i am happy with I record the Spark multiple outs into my session. I then have all the drum outputs as audio. I can then deactivate the plug in and my session plays as normal.

This also saves CPU if working with non card host DAW's

Thanks
Stuart 
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 02:04:40 am »
I wouldn't want a 'follow song' addition in Spark for many reasons, i'd be too preoccupied that Pro Tools would crash with the spark insert on a track.
I love my spark, it sounds great and is very easy to get beats going. It's a cool live tool and great in the studio, but it's not a very good plug in. You just have to learn it's limitation and focus on it's strengths

How can it be great in the studio if it can't integrate and run in sync in a DAW?
Seriously though....there are more than a few beat products doing this succesfully...Maschine is one.  Right now I'd be happy if SparkLE connected with Ableton and the sequencer follow Live so I can edit in the Spark software as I work. If I remember correctly there was no disclaimer from Arturia about using Sparkle as a plugin.  They've gotten the V collection right why not fix things for real?
2 OS drives: El Capitain 10.11.6\Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Ableton Live Suite 9.7.7\10.0.2

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »
How can it be great in the studio if it can't integrate and run in sync in a DAW?

It's a vibe tool, great for inspiring beats and rhythm and a perfect writing tool.

For track laying it's something a bit different.

Foremost it's a live tool, a performance based bit of kit. I think the plug in functionality was just in order to bring it in line with other products available as it was essentially designed to emulate old skool drum machines.

That said, the VST functionality in Ableton for spark is the best out there. Beating pro tools and the rest hands down, the automation is instant and there's no need to map anything. Other plug in and DAW formats don't come close. I'm fact I often run Ableton as a rewire host in pro tools in order to take advantage of the automation.

Dd it ever connect to Ableton on a previous release? Have you spoken to tech support about it not connecting?

Thanks, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »

Did it ever connect to Ableton on a previous release? Have you spoken to tech support about it not connecting?

Thanks, Stuart

It worked a little better in 1.7 but still it was driving me crazy with various idiosyncracies and issues.  I have posted as to what is going on with 2.0 yes.  I tried it in Ableton all by itself thinking it was my session but still the sequencer is not running in line with Ableton.

erik_oostveen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 04:43:01 pm »
The review below pretty much explains the limitations of Spark(LE) DAW song syncing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1Keb9BQgI&index=7&list=RDSYJCveG5JYw

ryanisprism

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 11:52:11 pm »
I may be slow, but in Ableton I cannot figure out how to trigger the sequences using midi notes. For example, I have midi clips on the Spark track with C1 and C1#, and then midi notes 24 and 25 mapped to sequence pads 1 and 2. The sequences are not changing as the song plays. Am I missing something?

ryanisprism

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 04:55:12 am »
Nevermind, 24 and 25 were the wrong midi note numbers. 36 and 37 worked.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines