March 19, 2024, 06:12:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Velocity Layers - questions  (Read 1748 times)

punkdSICO

Velocity Layers - questions
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:32:03 pm »
Hi all

Been trying to build some of my standard kits but having problems with the layers. 

Am I correct in saying that the layers are overlapped, so, rather than playing 1 OR 2 OR 3, Spark does a bit of overlap depending on the velocity?  This means that Spark will play, say, layer 1 AND layer 2 if the velocity is half way between the two magic numbers?  I am very sure this is the case judging by my results.

Can someone confirm the velocity values for each layer or, how the layering works?

Finally, I often use velocity layers to allow different samples to be played depending on velocity.  This allows you to play accented samples from drum machines where the accent provides more than just an increase in volume.  For this use, you need to play the drum sound at a constant volume regardless of velocity so that velocity is only used for layer selection.  Is this possible with Spark?  Sure, you can kind of get this result by increasing the gain on the lower velocity layers but the results are not as good.

Thanks for any replies.

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Text SLUT to: 29 7 29 7
Here’s the video:  www.youtu.be/Zl0PTZKy7fg

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Velocity Layers - questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:23:35 am »
Hi all

Been trying to build some of my standard kits but having problems with the layers. 

Am I correct in saying that the layers are overlapped, so, rather than playing 1 OR 2 OR 3, Spark does a bit of overlap depending on the velocity?  This means that Spark will play, say, layer 1 AND layer 2 if the velocity is half way between the two magic numbers?  I am very sure this is the case judging by my results.

Can someone confirm the velocity values for each layer or, how the layering works?

Exactly. To be honest when we originally did this I thought it was a good idea but I am now wondering if this is so good.

Finally, I often use velocity layers to allow different samples to be played depending on velocity.  This allows you to play accented samples from drum machines where the accent provides more than just an increase in volume.  For this use, you need to play the drum sound at a constant volume regardless of velocity so that velocity is only used for layer selection.  Is this possible with Spark? 

No.

For you information, we are improving a little layer in the upcoming update of Spark.
We are adding a stacked mode as well as a random and circle modes.
Your idea to not apply velocity could be very useful indeed. I will check if this is possible to add a check box to apply or not velocity.
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines