March 28, 2024, 10:43:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Analog Laboratory 1.5.1 (Beta???)  (Read 7843 times)

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
Analog Laboratory 1.5.1 (Beta???)
« on: July 08, 2012, 02:36:07 am »
Hello Arturia,

As you may already read out of the caption of this post, I'm not really happy with the latest updates. This concerns the Laboratory 1.5.1 as well as some of the single synth updates. With the last updates (2.5.1), there came this problem with choosing an ASIO sound device and your tech support told me that this would be a problem with my driver and I should go back to the previous versions. Okay, I did and still had a lot of trouble with bluescreens and so, untill one day, Antoine finally told me that it is probably my video driver that is causing this trouble. Wow, it took them months to find this out even if I sent them douzens of minidump files and bluescreen reports!
Now that this was fixed with a driver update, I thought I could maybe finally use the software bundles I bought round eight months ago. But no, actually I was wrong!

Not only that I still can't choose another sound device on the ARP2600 V2, MiniMg V, Mg Modular V 2 and Prophet-V2 in standalone mode and ARP2600 V2, MiniMg V and Mg Modular V 2 are crashing my DAWs (Samplitude Pro X, Ableton 8.3.2) when they have to be closed, now I can't even close the standalone version of ARP2600 V2, MiniMg V and Mg Modular V 2! Windows is just not able to close the application window. Even when I log out and in again, the application is still running and is shown on the task bar and the task manager.

I guess that all these issues have to do with my video card and none of them have to do with my sound device, but instead of making this clear to me, Arturias support decided to leave me in the dark about the reasons for that trouble and release updates that don't fix that. Okay, it's not a high-end product and maybe I should get a new PC, but before purchasing the AE The Player 25 + Hip Hop Producer Bundle and the AE The Laboratory 49 + V-Collection 2 Bundle, I had an Arturia 60 Day Trial Extended Demo (that is by the way still available, although it should have ended by the end of 2011) running for months! (since june and I bought in october and november)

I didn't had any trouble with the software or my video card driver. No, everything was just fine and fun. That was one of the reasons I purchased the Arturia products. Another reason was that I wanted to get a complete production solution. I thought I would only have to upgrade to Ableton Live and everything would be fine. But since then, I wasn't able to produce music anymore.  :'( (only one track finished in the last six months!) No, I was busy encountering and discovering bugs I had to note down and report to the tech support and developement teams!

And now?

Now I'm just a hobby musician that has to go back to scool for two years and learn a real job, because the jobcenter has nothing to do but writing sanctions.
I'm poor, I'm unsuccessful and now I'm done with music production.  >:(
But hey, I still have some very good equipment I can't use. Maybe I'm lucky and I just don't realize it! Who knows?!?

Anyways!

The latest updates didn't change anything. But if I would keep the Mini V and Modular V installed, I couldn't even use them with the Laboratory anymore, because the new Laboratory uses a lot more RAM and so I can't use it to finish my existing Live Sets.

And that leads me to the bugs I encountered, testing the new Laboratory 1.5.1 update.

• I'm unable to copy a scene (save as). The new scene is not shown but appears after a restart. Save as just loads the first scene in the list. (depending on your preset filtering)
  • Deleting scenes doesn't delete them from the list. I have to restart the Laboratory before the scene is really deleted from the preset list.
  • You can't see which sound and/or scene is copy protected and which not, anymore.
  • Choosing a melody doesn't mark it. Only the first that is listed (depending on your filtering) is markable.
  • Costum Controls are not assigned when a sound is picked as part of a scene. Except Oberheim SEM V and Wurlitzer V sounds.
  • Oberheim SEM V sounds are silent in standalone mode, if they have no melody assigned.
  • All Oberheim SEM V sequences have hold probably turned on.
  • When I load a Oberheim SEM V sequence in scene mode and play it, it doesn't stop and when I pick another sound, the choosen sound plays as a sequence (hold). Only EFX sounds can stop this behavior.
  • After opening the Audio & Midi Settings, in standalone mode, I had a strange sub bass and pop sound sequence playing that could only be stopped by closing the Laboratory, after playing the first notes.
    After a computer restart I was able to stop the sequence by loading a new preset. (First played key triggered this sequence again) Then I didn't had this again.

My system

• Intel Pentium 4 (2,8 GHz)
  • 3 GB RAM
  • ATI Radeon 9200 Series (128 MB)
  • Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-Bit)

I even tried all the latest updates on a new installed system on a second hard drive but it didn't change anything! All drivers where up to date and all the latest system updates where installed.

So, there are three possible reasons:

• Single Core processores are no longer supported
  • Windows XP (32-Bit) is no longer supported
  • 128 MB video memory is not enough

Okay, multiple cores are recommende, but I had no problems last year, so why do I have so many issues with the Laboratory and the V-Collection now? All the synths I was allowed to test in beta status (Jupiter-8V2, Oberheim SEM V, Wurlitzer V) are working without any trouble and even the CS-80V2 is working without any problems.
Where the hell is the difference between them and the ARP2600 V2, miniMg V (Mini V), Mg Modular V 2 (Modular V) and Prophet-V2? ???

Can someone explain that? Could someone may test this with Windows XP (32-Bit) on a multi core processor or with an older video card? Or can somebody else confirm some of these bugs?

???

Could Arturia please update the minimum system requirements if so?

JDoo

• Beta-testers
Re: Analog Laboratory 1.5.1 (Beta???)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:44:21 am »
You're running all this on a 10 year old processor (Pentium 4 2.8).?  I am surprised it works at all.

With the price of systems these days -- I would recommend breaking out your wallet and upgrading to a system that is a little more up to date.  It beats asking a vendor to support backward compatibility with systems a decade old...

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 03:52:39 am »
Das Ende vom Lied:

ebay.de/manuelheinemann

>:( :'( >:(  ??? >:( :'( >:( ??? >:( :'( >:( ??? :o

mauronedj

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:14 am »
Man I don't recommend you to sell all your arturia's products.

All physical model vst now have a multi-core processor requirement, just because the emulation cost much more cpu power than the simple "Digital sound" vst.

Whit the newest version whit the 64 support I think that your video card is not working at all and the problem is the dedicated ram. Can you try a new video card (it cost aroud 10E on the web) whit some other specific or whitout dedicated ram (As my DAW).

Also a good pc now costs about 300-400 eruros so why don't upgrade it???

Ok it's a workaround and not a solution, but arturia's vsts are very video and cpu avid product!

vaikl

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 12:38:47 pm »
While being on OSX, I haven't seen any trouble with 1.5.1 (together with the other latest versions of V) until now. Whole workflow is much more faster, even in 32-bit Live 8.3.

Speaking about Live, the new 64-bit beta is promising much more fun with AL and V in the near future ;D

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
Man I don't recommend you to sell all your arturia's products.

Why not? I can't use three/four out of six single synths I own since registering and conecting the controller and for the price I paid I expect a working product and a proper tech-support!

All physical model vst now have a multi-core processor requirement, just because the emulation cost much more cpu power than the simple "Digital sound" vst.

I didn't had any problems before purchasing! The software was working fine without the controller and before the updates and the minimum system requirements are 2GHz and 1GB RAM. I have 2.8GHz and 3GB RAM!

Whit the newest version whit the 64 support I think that your video card is not working at all and the problem is the dedicated ram.

In standalone mode?

Can you try a new video card (it cost aroud 10E on the web) whit some other specific or whitout dedicated ram (As my DAW).

Where can I get a better PCI video card for ten bucks? Even my old one is more expensive!

Also a good pc now costs about 300-400 eruros so why don't upgrade it???

hmmm.... but you have to make money to give away money! What do you think I'm going to do with the money from the Arturia products?  :D

Ok it's a workaround and not a solution, but arturia's vsts are very video and cpu avid product!

Yes, but this is not an excuse!

I'm also in touch with Thomann.de to get my money back, but if they and Arturia will not agree, I have to sell it privat....

mauronedj

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:38 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-RADEON-X1300-256MB-VIDEO/dp/B00456WDHS/ref=sr_1_34?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1342342308&sr=1-34

This or any other one!
I have an I7 quad core (8 threads), SSD's and 16 gig of ram (2100 mhz), but the video card is an invidia low profile whit 512Mb of integrated ram...it's about 25 euro...
Whit a daw you don't need a Quadro video card whit 4 gig ddr5 integrated ram, but if you have an old pc whit an old processor the access from the video card to the ram modules can very very slow down your pc...

I agree whit you if you sell your product for the money but a new PC whitout synth is not a good solutions!

If you need any advice for a good PC configuration post it and I'll try to help you :D

Sorry for my little english,
Mauro.

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:36:57 pm »
I'm thinking about buying a Pro Audio & Recording PC from www.beser-pc.de, but thanks for your link. This could probably be a temporary solution...

::)

EDIT: Unfortunately this is a PCI-E video card, but I need a PCI or AGP video card! My MSI MS-7048 (Medion OEM) motherboard doesn't have a PCI-Express slot...

:(

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:22:34 pm »
... but a new PC whitout synth is not a good solutions! ...

All the synths I have, are still available as a Arturia Extended Demo 60-Day Trial! Why paying for things that can be used for free?

And btw. Arturia is by far not the only software company that has good-sounding soft synths!  ;)

Nantonos

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:45:05 pm »
The software was working fine without the controller and before the updates and the minimum system requirements are 2GHz and 1GB RAM. I have 2.8GHz and 3GB RAM!

You have a Pentium 4, which dates to the period when Intel was raising the clock speed a lot while barely increasing the performance.

A 1.6GHz Core 2 from five years ago is at least twice as fast as a 2.8 GHz P4. My nearly-six year old laptop has a 2GHz Core 2 Duo (and is way slower than my one year old 3.4 GHz i7 desktop).

So I suspect that minimum requirements, stated as clock speed, are referring to processors of the current or recent generations (Core, Core 2) not some other entirely different generation with a totally different architecture.

(I'm typing these numbers and fondly remembering my first computer with a 4MHz Z80 and 48k of memory).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:45:45 am by Nantonos »

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »
You have a Pentium 4, which dates to the period when Intel was raising the clock speed a lot while barely increasing the performance.

A 1.6GHz Core 2 from five years ago is at least twice as fast as a 2.8 GHz P4. My nearly-six year old laptop has a 2GHz Core 2 Duo (and is way slower than my one year old 3.4 GHz i7 desktop).

So I suspect that minimum requirements, stated as clock speed, are referring to processors of the current or recent generations (Core, Core 2) not some other entirely different generation with a totally different architecture.

(I'm typing these numbers and fondly remembering my first computer with a 4MHz Z80 and 48k of memory).

I don't have a problem with clock speed or RAM size. Arturia has a problem with my driver! The only problem is the video card and not the CPU! I know how to use a PC and I can use the Laboratory 1.3.1 without any problems, but some of the single synths have problems closing the GUI since updating the video driver. Before the update, I didn't had this problems, but the controller/software (This hybrid thing) was crashing my RAID driver in some cases where I had different settings on the controller and the software...

Now that the Laboratory was updated to 1.5.1, I have some new problems, because this version is using much more RAM then the previous one.

I can also buy an Intel I7 3.4GHz 16 GB RAM highend iMac or Macbook, if you pay for me!  ;D

BTW: Minimum system requirements are minimum system requirements and if a specific processor generation is a reuqirement, this should be writen in the minimum system requiremnts!  ::)

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 04:47:07 pm »
"Happy" to be back and see, that nothing has changed here! Except that Antoine is now an ex-Arturian. Good decision!!! (If it was his)

Still no support for the paying costumers and still way to many bugs!

Oh, and btw.:

Now that I have an i5 3470 @3,20GHz-3,60GHz, 8GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics with DirektX11, I'm at least shure that not the video card driver or the age of my older PC is the problem.
The standalone versions of most of the synths are still causing conflicts with my t.c.electronic desktop konnekt 6 ASIO device and most of the bugs must have a permanent place in Arturias world and the users hearts. :D

Get your Arturia Extended Demo 60 Day Trial @ www.beat.de/arturia

Try before you buy!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines