March 28, 2024, 05:53:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Origin Firmware 1.4 Pre Release 2  (Read 8693 times)

Philippe

Origin Firmware 1.4 Pre Release 2
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »
A second pre-release version of the 1.4 Origin firmware is available for download at this URL:

http://www.arturia.net/filesharing/www/?action=d&id=46910826532736507739989231647

Along with bug fixes notable additions to the PR2 are:
- the possibility to connect any modulation to a TRIG input,
- a new TRIG input and a new trig parameter to the VoiceModulator as it was asked by some of you.

Some bugs were hard to fix - I hope they really are - and I had to change the structure of the MULTI preset. So if you sound-designed some multi preset with the PR1, I'm sorry but they probably won't load with the PR2.

This pre-release should be the last one before the final public version.

Have fun.
Origin Lead  Developer

synthguy99

Re: Origin Firmware 1.4 Pre Release 2
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:30:26 am »
I just wanted to say how stupendous this is.

"This is STUPENDOUS!"  Uhm... so, yeah...  ;D

This is just about enough to get me to drop writing and try some synthesizing this weekend.  As a synthesist, I'm always wanting to try out an instrument with as many filter types - and oscillators - as possible, and the Origin has the best selection of them all.  This Oberheim SEM filter is very sweet icing on an already delicious cake.

As a quick question, or two, which oscillator(s) do you prefer with it?  Which one seems closest to the SEM OSC?

As a semi-quick second, is there any chance that someone in the team will produce a small library of templates based on a number of synthesizers, and patches for them, like I did last year?  (Which by the way guys, I have a patch library of around 100 patches built using a little more than a dozen synthesizer templates I made in the Origin Patches section.  Swapping the SEM filter for the Origin filter in those Oberheim patches should be interesting.  Long paranthesis...)  :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:32:23 am by synthguy99 »
One day, I want my keyboard studio to be a synth museum like Hans Zimmer's

p.s.  PRAY FOR THIS PLANET!!

Cord

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »
Thanks Philippe! I will try it out later.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »
Hi everybody and thanks to Philippe for working hard for this update!

Here just first quick findings with 1.4:

1. Like previous version, this one got stuck in update process in my mac. Origin Connection app lost its connection to Origin in early stage. But like earlier, update went through nicely in PC. Something strange here, earlier updates (1.3 and before that) went fine in my mac.

2. Then I played shortly those multi presets that were problematic in previous version. Now they seem to work as before.

So finaly everything looks promising. Now when my good old presets seem to work well, I can now go deeper into it..

:)

EDIT: But please read further, there are unfortunately problems....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:54:38 pm by JacksonP »

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:43:38 pm »
Well well... after about one hour of testing I found some issues:

1. In multi FX mode: It seems that you'll get a crash if you try to use (or just press button of) this third effect slot (which is basically disabled). And this seems to happen every time so it's a real big bug...

Origin screen says:

../../HighLevel/UIParameter/UIParameterManager.cpp

ASSERT: (inTarget >= SYSEX_TARGET_PROGRAM1) && (inTarget <

(etc.etc.)

and all you can do is to boot the unit again.

2. You cannot CHANGE filter to SEMfilter. (You can add a new SEMfilter though)

3. You cannot DELETE a multi preset completely. I made a multi preset "TEST" to check some things and when I tried to delete it, this "TEST" name was still there. Also, there was program #0 in the slot 1, so it was not empty. Also those earlier "- EMPTY -" presets were like that (program #0 in first slot). If I remember right, those empty multis were really empty in v1.3? In other words, all the slots were empty. For me this is an important feature, there are cases when I want Origin to be silent and it's usefull to have really empty multis.

4. Multi FX: AUX 2 send levels. There's something strange here: for example to make it simple, use just one program with its own FX turned off and also master FX off. Then put for example Delay in AUX1 and Distortion TO AUX2. It seems to me that send levels of A2-P1 (aux2-program 1) do not have any effect to A2:Distortion. On the other hand, send level of A1-P1 seems to affect  to both A1 & A2...

Anyone else experiencing these issues?  ??? ???  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:57:21 pm by JacksonP »

Cord

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:39:15 am »
Thanks JacksonP. I think I will wait another round.

BobTheDog

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:52:46 am »
Wow missed this!

Unfortunately it falls at the first post.

Origin Connection crashes immediately on my mac:

Process:         Origin Connection [701]
Path:            /Users/USER/*/Origin Connection.app/Contents/MacOS/Origin Connection
Identifier:      com.arturia.origin.application
Version:         ??? (1.1)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [366]

Date/Time:       2012-06-04 08:17:28.320 +0100
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50b)
Report Version:  9

Interval Since Last Report:          49054 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           4
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  6 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   4
Anonymous UUID:                      8EBBE4D8-73EB-4034-B28B-71DB7076A09C

Crashed Thread:  5

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
--> __PAGEZERO             0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [    4K] ---/--- SM=NUL  /Users/USER/*/Origin Connection.app/Contents/MacOS/Origin Connection
    __TEXT                 0000000000001000-000000000021d000 [ 2160K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Users/USER/*/Origin Connection.app/Contents/MacOS/Origin Connection

Application Specific Information:
objc[701]: garbage collection is OFF

Thread 5 Crashed:
0   com.apple.CoreFoundation         0x9598b68c CFStringGetCString + 28
1   com.arturia.origin.application   0x00197060 ARTURIA::MacMidiDeviceLister::Initialize() + 510
2   com.arturia.origin.application   0x00197863 ARTURIA::MacMidiDeviceLister::MacMidiDeviceLister() + 133
3   com.arturia.origin.application   0x0019864e ARTURIA::MidiDeviceManager::MidiDeviceManager() + 34
4   com.arturia.origin.application   0x001986e5 ARTURIA::MidiDeviceManager::GetInstance() + 43
5   com.arturia.origin.application   0x001937de ARTURIA::HWMacMidiProxy::Initialize(unsigned char, ARTURIA::MidiDeviceType&) + 26
6   com.arturia.origin.application   0x00196550 ARTURIA::CreateMidiProxy(unsigned char, unsigned char*) + 204
7   com.arturia.origin.application   0x00161293 ARTURIA::MainManagerThread::ConnectToProxy() + 241
8   com.arturia.origin.application   0x00161c0b ARTURIA::MainManagerThread::run() + 291
9   com.arturia.origin.application   0x001581a5 juce_Origin::Thread::threadEntryPoint(juce_Origin::Thread*) + 125
10  com.arturia.origin.application   0x0018a5d1 juce_Origin::threadEntryProc(void*) + 17
11  libsystem_c.dylib                0x9abcded9 _pthread_start + 335
12  libsystem_c.dylib                0x9abd16de thread_start + 34

Cheers

Andy

Philippe

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:36:51 am »
Well well... after about one hour of testing I found some issues:

1. In multi FX mode: It seems that you'll get a crash if you try to use (or just press button of) this third effect slot (which is basically disabled). And this seems to happen every time so it's a real big bug...

This is fixed.

2. You cannot CHANGE filter to SEMfilter. (You can add a new SEMfilter though)

Well, technically speaking, this is not a bug but an unimplemented feature. The "CHANGE" option applies to versions of the same module. For instance you can change an analog oscillator from the version "Origin" to the version "MiniMg". On the other hand you cannot change an analog oscillator into a WaveTable, or a ToneWheel.

The SEMFilter has been designed by the ObSEM team as a specific module, not as a version of the existing Filter. When I ported the SEMFilter back to Origin I didn't change this design choice because it would have required more work and therefore more time (remember that the Origin "team" is... me alone). Applying a "CHANGE" command to different modules is really something else within the audio kernel, it involves a lot of actions that must be sequenced in time.

Anyway I'll forward this feature request to the product manager and we'll see.

3. You cannot DELETE a multi preset completely. I made a multi preset "TEST" to check some things and when I tried to delete it, this "TEST" name was still there. Also, there was program #0 in the slot 1, so it was not empty. Also those earlier "- EMPTY -" presets were like that (program #0 in first slot). If I remember right, those empty multis were really empty in v1.3? In other words, all the slots were empty. For me this is an important feature, there are cases when I want Origin to be silent and it's usefull to have really empty multis.

This "empty multi" which is not really empty is present in the firmware since the beginning (ie 1.0). So it was also the case with the 1.3.50 firmware.

4. Multi FX: AUX 2 send levels. There's something strange here: for example to make it simple, use just one program with its own FX turned off and also master FX off. Then put for example Delay in AUX1 and Distortion TO AUX2. It seems to me that send levels of A2-P1 (aux2-program 1) do not have any effect to A2:Distortion. On the other hand, send level of A1-P1 seems to affect  to both A1 & A2...

This is fixed.

[/quote]

I've built a new firmware which includes the 2 MULTI_FX bug fixes. I'll make it downloadable asap, after a couple of tests.
Origin Lead  Developer

Philippe

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:01 am »
Wow missed this!

Does this happen immediately when Origin Connection tries to connect with your machine?
Could you tell me the firmware version on your Origin?

Thanks

Origin Lead  Developer

BobTheDog

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 11:15:21 am »
Wow missed this!

Does this happen immediately when Origin Connection tries to connect with your machine?
Could you tell me the firmware version on your Origin?

Thanks

Hi,

It happens immediately the app starts, you see the window for a second and then it crashes.

The existing version was 1.3.5.

I have since fired up windows 7 in Parallels and tried the updater from there which worked perfectly and I did the update from there.

I have also put back the 'old' 1.3 version of origin connect and that also crashes on OSX so it is not just a problem with the new version.

Cheers

Andy

BobTheDog

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 12:13:44 pm »
Hi Phillipe,

It may be caused by the fact that the Origin no longer seems to be being seen as a midi device for me in OSX.

It is listed int the hardware:

Origin:

Product ID:   0x0101
  Vendor ID:   0x1c75
  Version:   0.01
  Serial Number:   1.00
  Speed:   Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:   Arturia
  Location ID:   0xfd560000 / 19
  Current Available (mA):   500
  Current Required (mA):   64

But there is no CoreMidi device for it!

Cheers

Andy

BobTheDog

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 12:20:31 pm »
Hi Phillipe,

It may be caused by the fact that the Origin no longer seems to be being seen as a midi device for me in OSX.

It is listed int the hardware:

Origin:

Product ID:   0x0101
  Vendor ID:   0x1c75
  Version:   0.01
  Serial Number:   1.00
  Speed:   Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:   Arturia
  Location ID:   0xfd560000 / 19
  Current Available (mA):   500
  Current Required (mA):   64

But there is no CoreMidi device for it!

Cheers

Andy

Scratch that idea!

I just power cycled everything and the origin is back as a midi device and origin connect still crashes!

Cheers

Andy

Philippe

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
You mean that OC Mac still crashes *after* the update of Origin under Windows?
Origin Lead  Developer

BobTheDog

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
You mean that OC Mac still crashes *after* the update of Origin under Windows?

Yep.

Both the old 1.3.5 one and the new 1.4 one crash on osx for me.

Maybe I have a midi device connected it doesn't like. Looks like a null pointer exception os some type, maybe a string from one of the midi devices?

Philippe

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 12:51:20 pm »
What happens when Origin is not connected to a midi port (both serial and USB)?
Origin Lead  Developer

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines