March 28, 2024, 01:49:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi and Factory software with V Collection Questions  (Read 9152 times)

woodrow886

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Midi and Factory software with V Collection Questions
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:13:48 am »
Hi folks.

Wondering if you could clear a few questions for me.

1. I have the V Collection. I notice that some retailers sell the boxed version with free Analog Laboratory. Is this the same software which comes with Analog Factory?

2. Providing Q1 is a yes. What practical advantages would the Analog Laboratory/Factory software bring to the already comprehensive V Collection? Was it developed for and targeted at people who don't want to buy the V Collection? Or is it a neat add on? Can any users chime in here?

3. I'm thinking of getting the 32 key Analog Factory. However, I'm aware that the keyboard only has a 'Midi Out' and no 'Midi In'. I know that it uses USB Midi. My issue is that I am thinking of getting this as a makeshift portable solution and my laptop only has 4 USB ports which are pretty much taken up with my iLok, eLicenser, Mbox and a mix and match between my USB Mouse and Waves license USB Stick. 

I'm not an expert in Midi so forgive me if this sucks...but would one Midi cable 'Midi Out' (Analog Factory) to 'Midi In' (Mbox) cut it for use as a controller and give the full functionality of the Analog Factory software (and any other for that matter), providing I use the required DC Adapter?

Thanks in advance for this.

Woody

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
Re: Midi and Factory software with V Collection Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 01:15:19 am »
Hi Woody,

1. I have the V Collection. I notice that some retailers sell the boxed version with free Analog Laboratory. Is this the same software which comes with Analog Factory?

No, the Analog Laboratory and the Analog Factory are two different applications.

2. Providing Q1 is a yes. What practical advantages would the Analog Laboratory/Factory software bring to the already comprehensive V Collection? Was it developed for and targeted at people who don't want to buy the V Collection? Or is it a neat add on? Can any users chime in here?

The Analog Factory contains 3500 Sounds from the V-Collection, that are tweakable with the controls that are part of the AE 32 Analog Factory keyboard controller.

The Analog Laboratory contains the same 3500 Sounds + 200 Scenes and gives you the possibility to open all the V-Collection 2 plugins from inside the Laboratory software, in Sound mode. That means that you are able to tweak every parameter that is part of the original plugin and creat completely new sounds.
Further you can use 2 sounds + 4 Samples (They are also part of the software) and assigne a melody to one of the sounds, to creat a scene.

I recommend trying the demo version, because it's much to much to describe the full range of functionality in a few sentences.

3. I'm thinking of getting the 32 key Analog Factory. However, I'm aware that the keyboard only has a 'Midi Out' and no 'Midi In'. I know that it uses USB Midi. My issue is that I am thinking of getting this as a makeshift portable solution and my laptop only has 4 USB ports which are pretty much taken up with my iLok, eLicenser, Mbox and a mix and match between my USB Mouse and Waves license USB Stick.  

I'm not an expert in Midi so forgive me if this sucks...but would one Midi cable 'Midi Out' (Analog Factory) to 'Midi In' (Mbox) cut it for use as a controller and give the full functionality of the Analog Factory software (and any other for that matter), providing I use the required DC Adapter?

I can't answer this question, because I don't know what you want to do with the MIDI-cable. I recommend using a USB-Hub to connect all your devices to your notebook.

The MIDI-out is usually made to control a hardware-synth (or other device) that has a MIDI-input, so you can play the synth with the AE keyboard controller.

My personal opinion is, if you already own the V-Collection 2, it doesn't make sense to buy the Analog Factory, but it would make sense to buy the Analog Laboratory. I guess that this one is too large for you, but hey, you can't have everything!  ;)

Hope this is helping,

Manuel

vaikl

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 01:37:00 am »

For a playing-only solution this setup should fit, but for the controller options you'll need MIDI in and out. You could buy a cheap USB-to-MIDI cable solution to connect the AL keyboard to both MIDI ports on your Mbox.

woodrow886

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »
Thank you Manuel and Vaikl

That was very cool of you both to post. I now understand what my options are.

I should have pointed out that my main goal is to use the keyboard as a controller in Pro Tools in use with the V-Collection synths. Obviously, I now know that I can do this using the laboratory as my front end which is a pretty cool prospect.

I already have a Roland Juno-G which I've been using as a controller but the 61/49 Arturia keyboards contain tailor-made tweak-ability for the V-Collection (via Laboratory) which the Juno-G obviously doesn't have.

I'm now actually considering the 61 key Laboratory option for my main set up as this will give me the full range of several of the V-Collection synths without working through the octaves. I'm considering an additional 32 key factory version for my laptop. Will the 32 key version still work with the Laboratory, albeit somewhat limited by its lesser controls? Or, will it only be compatible with Factory?

Great ideas regarding the USB workaround. I'm going to explore both as I've heard iLoks and the Mbox can be a bit picky with USB hubs. At least I know I can give the USB to Midi cable for the 32 keyboard if the USB hub doesn't deliver.

@Manuel - message sent.

Thanks again Manuel and Vaikl. You're both most kind.

Woody

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »
Personally, I would recommend a small USB 4 port passive Hub where you would connect the  iLok, eLicenser, the USB Mouse and the Waves license USB Stick. All of these are lower power USB devices so that would fit nicely, freeing the rest of the ports for the Mbox that is recommended to use a direct laptop USB port (due to speed and power consumption), the Factory controller leaving even 1 free port in the end.

woodrow886

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 07:14:03 pm »
Hi Koshdukai

Thanks for that.

Yeh...I'm inclined to try a passive hub first. I've had dreadful luck with them in the past though. However, that was around 8-10 years ago. I'm thinking they may have improved over the years.

By the way....I now know that I can use Laboratory with the 32 key factory controller. I found a thread earlier. Should have bloody looked before asking... :o

Thanks again.

Woody

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 07:43:31 pm »
yeah, that's true, one has to have a bit of luck when getting a small hub, but most of the recent ones should handle it well.

If you can check them 1st or try one from a friend, that may be the best option :)

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:02:15 pm »
Powered hubs are a tricky thing to get right, a lot of them just aren't up to the job.
I run several dongles, a few USB controller including Spark, a few Avid USB boxes and now thinking about the 61 AL.

I've been through about 5 hubs in the studio and the only one that has been any good has been the new black D-link powered hub. It also has two over powered ports for charging devices when not connected to a computer (Or the connected computer is powered down)

One old powered hub I had failed and ate though an ilok, luckily i had zero downtime on it. I'd certainly recommend the below hub, I've had Belkin hubs, Kensington hubs and they have all failed, and they only sit there under my monitors, it's not like they are always on the move.   

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/usb-hubs/dub-h7-7-port-usb-2-0-hub

This comes with a PSU, most hubs do have the ability to power but you must be very careful when connecting power to hubs. This is why I would always buy a hub which comes with it's intended PSU as the above link does.

Good luck

Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61