March 28, 2024, 10:08:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Program Change  (Read 4088 times)

ASch

Program Change
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:46:24 pm »
Dumb question, I'm sure, but how do I send a program change message to the Origin from my DAW?  My other synth (Nova) has it's presets in banks of 128, which works a treat: I select a bank number and then a preset number.  But in the Origin all the presets seems to be one big list...

Thanks

Andreas

ASch

Re: Program Change
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:00:08 pm »
Ha! Obvious really - the programs are actually in banks of 100.  That's nice and simple  :)

Andreas

Philippe

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:43:44 pm »
Yea, banks of hundred:
- bank 0 to 9: SINGLE presets P0000 to P0999 (the bank is the digits just after the letter P)
- bank 10 to 12: MULTI presets M1000 to M1255 (the bank is the digits just after the letter M)
You should use the "Master Control Channel" (page Home -> Settings -> Midi) for these MIDI PC.
If you've loaded a MULTI you can load a SINGLE preset on a slot of the multi (so using banks 0 to 9) using the control channel of the slot (page Multi -> Slots: the editable parameter under the text "CtlCh")

To sum up:
- the master control channel is used to load a preset that overrides the current preset (wether SINGLE or MULTI)
- the slot control channel is used to load a preset that target only the slot, so keeping everything else in the MULTI unchanged.
Origin Lead  Developer

ASch

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:39:14 am »
Thanks for clarifying that Philippe, I've asked a couple of other questions about MIDI control in separate posts...

MIDI Control of Part Level
MIDI Control of Part Transpose

Thanks

Andreas

maddyman

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:58:53 am »
Hy Andreas,
thanks for the questions - these were mine too -
have you got any ideas while waiting for getting an answer here?
martin

ASch

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:07:39 pm »
No maddyman, no reply to my other queries. 

In general I'm finding the MIDI implementation on the Origin much more of a pain to work with than on my Nova - not updating the UI in repsonse to MIDI input is a real issue for live performance where I'm interacting with external MIDI controllers.

At the moment I'm writting some software to let me use a Novation Launchpad to add extra control to the Origin.  It's basically working, but there are some things that don't seem to behave as expected...

Andreas

Philippe

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »
We've made the choice to not modify, and to give no visual feedback because we noticed a number of situations where doing all that was pushing everything in a bottleneck : the UI was almost frozen, and the MIDI CCs were not processed smoothly. The micro-controller inside Origin has not enough power to manage all that kind of work at the same time. Of course this limitation is visible when a MIDI automation is performed, not when you're editing the preset. In that case you're not changing a lot of parameter simultaneously and we would have had enough power then.

So the solution could be to choose between a "MIDI automation mode" and a "MIDI editing mode"?
Origin Lead  Developer

maddyman

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 09:40:26 am »
Philippe,-thankx for the explanation.Well, even if devices,like my supernova or others manage even increased amount of incoming data, the Origin might has a lower level of capacity.
Or it the case of visualy shown different graphic value parametes where other devices just display a numeric status.
Could a new generation of micro-controller (means powerful enough to mangane higher amount of data) solve that problem and perhaps could be replayeced in just sold devices ?
If not your sugestion to chose between a "MIDI automation mode" and a "MIDI editing mode" could be realised soon?
martin

ASch

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:44:53 am »
How about a half-way house, which would work for me and the way I use the machine :-)

The UI ignores external MIDI controller info, as it does at the moment.  However, when a control on the machine is moved, the new external MIDI value for that parameter is picked up by the UI?  Would that be possible?

Andreas

maddyman

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 09:27:52 pm »
Can somebody explain to me in other words what philippe mentioned ?
I am using Logic and would like to determine the pgm there in order that the origin behave that way.
As Andreas wrote before, my Supernova (e.g.) and all the other stuff receive Pgm from 0-127 until I select a different bank, so what the way to fill in the fields in Logic?
thank you !
martin

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines