March 19, 2024, 10:21:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Brass 64 BIT  (Read 22425 times)

mettew45

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Brass 64 BIT
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:20 pm »
Dear Arturia! what about update Brass to 64 bit ???

fikonhjul

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Brass 64 BIT
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »
Yeah, what about it? Has there been any official word on the status of this product? If it's abandoned, I'd like to know so.

fikonhjul

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:15:32 pm »
On another forum - it might have been gearslutz - I read a post by an Arturia rep that half-officially declared Brass dead. So I guess that means we shouldn't hope for another update. Maybe it's a licensing issue - the intellectual properties involved might belong to third parties.

It's a shame anyhow. There's a decent bit of grit and useful ugliness in Brass that I haven't been able to get from other instruments. I just bought the otherwise similar - and perhaps better overall sounding - WIVI Band from Wallander Instruments, but it's not as deep when it comes to articulations and imperfections. 

So, to achieve the funky sauce of mixing a decent sampled set (I use Session Horns from NI) with, say, a top trumpet part played in Brass, I now use 32 Lives from Sound Radix. So far, Brass 2.0 is resurrected in Logic Pro X and works fine.

But I still hope that if Arturia has no intention of continuing development of Brass, they will let somebody else do it. And an official word to customers wouldn't hurt either.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:17:37 pm by fikonhjul »

fikonhjul

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 11:07:57 am »
As macOS 10.15 Catalina marches in, Sound Radix excellent solution 32 Lives will stop working and that'll be the final end to all 32-bit plugins.

So I just want to resurrect this plea: Arturia, please update Brass 2 to 64-bit, or let another developer do it.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 01:17:12 pm »
Didn't even know such a thing existing til I saw this post appear in the Most Recent Posts. Unfortunately I think you can say with some certainty that Brass is abandonware. I was surprised to see it is actually still available via Downloads & Manuals, latest update 9 years ago.

Looking at how long it can take Arturia to deliver updates for current products (2 years 5 months and counting for a MatrixBrute firmware update, three years for a KeyStep firmware update), your chances of  a 64-Bit re-code for Brass are less than zero.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

fikonhjul

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 11:57:50 pm »
your chances of  a 64-Bit re-code for Brass are less than zero.
That is probably a realistic estimate. Sad, because Brass is soooo funky. Not so much by it's own, for that it sounds a bit too artificial, but together with sampled horns! The craziness, the organic glissandos, the imperfections, the sometimes bad behavior that sounds so right for jazz, funk and soul. Nothing else comes close. Except physical instruments in the hands of wicked musicians, of course.

I wish the researchers at IRCAM would take everything they brought to this product and have someone else take it further.

fikonhjul

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 09:22:06 am »
OK, I sent Arturia a plea to revive Brass some time ago, and got a nice reply back. The suggestion was duly logged and forwarded.

Not holding my breath, I recently stumbled across the Italian company Audio Modeling and their product series SWAM. This is Brass on steroids - just listen to the brief trumpet demo!

This is PRICEY, but cutting edge. Maybe we'll see scaled down bundles with fewer instruments (a funk unit, a jazz combo or the like) in the future...?

SWAM also includes strings and several orchestral woodwinds and brass instruments, giving sampling another unexpected run for their money.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 11:21:18 am »
OK, I sent Arturia a plea to revive Brass some time ago, and got a nice reply back. The suggestion was duly logged and forwarded.
I don't mean to disillusion you but that's their way of telling you to fluff off.
Thanks for posting an alternative solution. Pricey as you say, but at least it's an option for those with deep pockets.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

fikonhjul

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 12:01:09 pm »
I don't mean to disillusion you but that's their way of telling you to fluff off.
You're so right, of course.
Thanks for posting an alternative solution. Pricey as you say, but at least it's an option for those with deep pockets.

I just noticed Samplemodeling, another option, are having a sale, due to the corona virus and what that means for musicians.

Samplemodeling, Audio Modeling - I'm getting confused. Similar products and expressiveness, similar names, both are Italian. Well, it's good to have options, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:41:47 pm by fikonhjul »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines