News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Scared  (Read 3001 times)

CV-Gate

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Scared
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:02:16 pm »
Hello forum, I recently bought an Origin although I don't have it with me still, the seller told me that they are waiting for stock and will send it on next week.

I decided to go for the Origin exclusively for live playing, due to it's 4 parts multitimbrical and flexibility.

But now after visiting this forum I'm starting to be very scared because it seems that this synth has a lot of problems, mainly with the knobs and also the technical support is not fast nor responsive.

So, I'm starting to think 'take the money and run' but I can't see a better option for live.

What do you think? Should I trust on this synth for a live performance? Are these problems so general that  they'll come soon or later?

Many thanks in advance for  your answers.

mattsynth

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Scared
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »
Take you money and run is my advice. I returned my Origin after one week because of all the buggs. Some were quite obvious and made the synth not playable. Maybe in a couple more years it will be ready for the market.

CV-Gate

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »
Thanks Mattsynth, which bugs were the ones that made you to return the unit? I need it to play live, and it can be a complete disaster if the unit hangs or fails. There are not many more options out there with the flexibility and multitimbrical characteristics of the Origin, maybe a Virus but I don't know if I could emulate the analog synths from my studio using a Virus...

Cheers!

Superwaldi

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:48:37 am »
No problems here since latest 2 updates.

Running 1.3.5 should be safe for live performances.

(I own the Origin since end of 2009)

CV-Gate

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:07 am »
Cool, someone with god news. Thanks Superwaldi.

Anybody else?

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 12:08:20 pm »
Hi CV,

My feeling about Origin is ambivalent:

I like its sound and GUI very much. It has lot of power, beautiful analog type sound, amazingly well made interface which is surprisingly easy to learn to use, enough knobs to tweak. Also 4-part multitimbrality 32-voises polyphony makes it winner over many other VAs. Templates are marvellous and fascinationg creatures. Also I have no issues with new firmware and Origin connection software (in my mac).

But, like some others here too, I am little worried about its build quality and possible repair process if something goes wrong. In fact this is my second Origin unit. First one had problems with knobs; one by one they started go broken. Problem was also that here in Finland (and Sweden too) there was no legalized repairer; Arturia told me NOT to try to fix it here. (and it was about knobs which normally aren't the most difficult parts to replace you know) In other words, you can buy this product from anywhere in the world, but it seems to me that only place to repair it is in France (Arturia). And I am not sure how much they have spare parts and time to fix those broken units. So all this procedure makes me little worried.

So to sum it, I really hope that Arturia keeps selling and developing this marvelous thing and stays in business in general. Otherwise we (who already have it) are screwed someday (sooner or later) when our Origins start malfunction.

Maybe Arturia could say little to this build quality / repairment issue to confort us or remove possible prejudices about these issues....?

CV-Gate

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:10:38 pm »
Hi Jackson, you are right, the worst thing that a company can do is to stay quiet with a problem like this, many users reporting issues with the encoders. If they fixed it in the last production units or they are up to do it, maybe they are afraid of all users asking for a free upgrade. Are the keyboard version users also complaining? As it was released short time ago, if they don't complain then the problem is solved in the newer units.

Anyway, it doesn't look good.

Regards.

jimmick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 05:35:23 pm »
Avoid it like the plague, very unreliable device and very uncommunicative company!!!!!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines