March 28, 2024, 10:07:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark version 1.4 working with Protools 10  (Read 11557 times)

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Spark version 1.4 working with Protools 10
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:24 am »
I am new to Spark and I have been trying to use it on Protools 10. Sometimes when I open an Intstument track on Protools, it works fine, randomly it crashed my Protools file. It is ok when in Stand alone mode. Also sometimes there is a warning of CPU usage on my Protools file although Spark is the only Plug in I have turned on.

lately it crashed or freeze up my Protools file a lot and sometime it said No Connection to Spark when I click on the Spark on my Protools Instrument track

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Spark version 1.4 working with Protools 10
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:15:40 am »
Hi charleslklee,

Concerning CPU usage in PT, you can configure PT to not have this problem.
Go to Setup->Playback Engine..., then set "CPU usage limit" to 99% and "Host Processors" to your number of CPU - 1.
More information here

Concerning the connection, can you tell me what OS you are using?
I guess you are running Windows. The problem is that PT open the device (Spark Controller) before the plugin then the plugin can not open it. The workaround is to turn on Spark controller AFTER launching Pro Tools.

hope this helps
Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:14 am »
Hi Kevin,

First of all, it is strange that when you replied my message, I didn't see it as NEW MESSAGE when I logged in? Is this normal, or this is not a message to me but a Forum Post? Just curious.

Secondly, no I am using Mac OS X.6.8 with 2 Dual Core Intel Xenon each with 3Ghz speed. The memory is 9GB 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM.. And yes the CPU is set as 99% as you mentioned. The CPU warning from Protools appear randomly, sometimes it does sometimes not at all

I tried even to load a drum programme or a drum loop from Spark onto Protools 10 when I open a Instrument track, sometimes it work sometimes it freeze or like jumping a stylus on vinyl...  My friend who is using a Macbook Pro also have the same problem randomly... it is just not stable enough... I am also using the version 1.4 

I also have another question, is it possible to load and record any drum loop from the Spark onto Protools as a Midi file track so that I can change or alter the drum pattern or sound later? I only know how to do it with Audio track on Protools but not as Midi track.

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:20:56 am »
Hi Kevin again,

Yes I did turn on the Spark everytime AFTER I launched the Protools. I did not even realised you can turn on Spark before turning on the Protools since I can only turn on Spark after I open my Protools file and turn on the Instrument track and use Spark as a Plug In...then when I choose any drum loop , sometime it can be loaded, sometime not only it said CONNECTION FAILED, but it freezes my Protools... btw The CONNECTION FAILED meant I did not have the Hardware Controller connected or it really means even the software Spark cannot be connected hence the freeze up of my Protools???

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:43 am »
Hi,
you did not receive message in your inbox because this is a forum post (not a private message).
Did you try changing the number of "Host Processors"?

Concerning the connection failed, yes this only means that Spark can not connect to the Spark Controller.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Noted about message delivery. Host processor meaning? ProTools or Spark? And any solution on the freeze and crash with ProTools?

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:08:44 pm »
Host Processors is a setting in Pro tools in "Setup->Playback Engine..." menu.
Try set it to 1.
It may solve the freeze and crash issue.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:33 pm »
Ok let me try and get back to you  I guess this will answer my case ID 105929?? I hope it worked. Also is there a way to load and record any Loop from Spark to ProTools as Midi file instead of Audio file. Those presets Loop I am referring to

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »
Hi Kevin,

When you say set Protools to Level 1, do you mean DAE Playback Buffer or Plug In Streaming Buffer or both ??

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:32:53 pm »
I set both the DAE Playback Buffer and Plug In Streaming Buffer to Level 1, hopefully it work.. Is this what you mean by setting to Level 1?

Also I have another question, can any of the Loop of Spark be send out to Protools as a Midi signal instead of Audio signal?

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:36:23 pm »
Hi meant "Host Processors", between  "H/W Buffer Size" and "CPU Usage Limit".
Concerning your other question, this is not possible to record MIDI in real time into Pro Tools for the moment.
We will add this in a future update.
However yo can drag'n'drop pattern to MIDI track.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:43:07 pm »
Can you explain the step of Drop and Drag the loop pattern from Spark onto Protools? thanks

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 04:46:50 pm »
Yo have to go in the Library view -> Current Project pane then drag the pattern you want to your MIDI track.
Here is a screencast done for Cubase but the process does not differs a lot.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

charleslklee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 04:53:03 pm »
my Playback engine is H/W Buffer Size   512 Samples   2 processors and 99% CPU Usuage and DAE Playback Buffer Level 1 and Plug In Streaming Buffer Level 1 ,, am I correct? I did turn on and off my protools with the Spark twice, the first time it is OK and then the second time it freeze my Protools and the Mac again........ :'( ???

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 04:56:04 pm »
Try with 1 processor instead of 2.
Let me know if it is working.
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines