April 25, 2024, 06:00:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Layers?? Playing 2 sounds at once?  (Read 13040 times)

kidgloves2

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Layers?? Playing 2 sounds at once?
« on: July 30, 2004, 09:44:51 am »
I'm busy playing with the demo and I want to know if it's possible to play two presets at once? Like in a sampler, you can make layers.

If it's not possible, who thinks it would be a great future feature?

Anonymous

Cable clashes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 02:13:19 pm »
I think that some presets would have cable clashes with other presets, for example two Oscillators going into the same input jack for a filter.

That said, if you look through the presets available on the demo, some use keyboard following to effectively create two sequences or instruments at the same time.  See K Ujiie - split  presets.

With the cabling metaphor there are lots of ways of getting the MMV to do more than one thing at a time.  Have fun experimenting.

Daveoo

kidgloves2

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 04:05:06 am »
Is there a way to run two entire systems at the same time? So when you press one key, two Mg modulars are running?

That might be a dumb question, but I'm new to this. I'm also new to sequencers. I have a lot to learn. I'm mostly concerned about playing live. I know you can layer in a multitrack setting, but if you want to pull it off live, I need to play two or more sounds at once.

Also, is there a way to change patches with a midi foot controller, so that I can play live. I need to find this stuff out before I buy the full version.

kidgloves2

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 04:06:02 am »
Is there a way to run two entire systems at the same time? So when you press one key, two Mg modulars are running?

That might be a dumb question, but I'm new to this. I'm also new to sequencers. I have a lot to learn. I'm mostly concerned about playing live. I know you can layer in a multitrack setting, but if you want to pull it off live, I need to play two or more sounds at once.

Also, is there a way to change patches with a midi foot controller, so that I can play live. I need to find this stuff out before I buy the full version.

kidgloves2

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 04:06:31 am »

Anonymous

I control more than 1 synth with ...
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 01:34:09 pm »
I use Cakewalks's studio 3 and project 5.  Both packages give me the ability to record midi  patterns (music), and then the Mgs replay the patterns as needed.  They also have the ability to let me play several synths at the same time with one keyboard, though I rarely do this.  The audio out from the Mgs is mixable ( as is any other DXI synth ) within Studio 3 and Project 5.  If you can't afford a studio-like package, you could try multiple control through MIDI-OX which is a freeware midi channel package.  Go to www.cakewalk.com if you want more info on their software.  Try googling MIDI-OX, I don't have the URL immediately to hand.

daveoo

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 01:36:07 pm »
I use Cakewalks's studio 3 and project 5.  Both packages give me the ability to record midi  patterns (music), and then the Mgs replay the patterns as needed.  They also have the ability to let me play several synths at the same time with one keyboard, though I rarely do this.  The audio out from the Mgs is mixable ( as is any other DXI synth ) within Studio 3 and Project 5.  If you can't afford a studio-like package, you could try multiple control through MIDI-OX which is a freeware midi channel package.  Go to www.cakewalk.com if you want more info on their software.  Try googling MIDI-OX, I don't have the URL immediately to hand.

daveoo

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 01:45:17 pm »

daveoo

Meffy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Just a skunk
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 03:29:19 pm »
I see y'all are demonstrating by layering posts. ;-)

Meffy

Anonymous

It ain't me
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 05:12:09 pm »
It's not me, it's the zarking PHP software used to build the forum ! :roll:   Honest ! :lol:

daveoo

Anonymous

It ain't me
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 05:17:11 pm »
It's not me, it's the zarking PHP software used to build the forum ! :roll:   Honest ! :lol:

daveoo

Meffy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Just a skunk
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 05:18:58 pm »
Yes, I see now -- the posts aren't taking. I've tried several times to post this message as an edit to the previous one. Previewing is nearly instantaneous, but new posts and edits of existing ones aren't being stored. Hope they get that fixed soon.

I use Cakewalk's Sonar 3 and Ableton Live 4. Both are excellent and both will allow you to use as many Mg Modular Vs as you want, as long as your CPU can keep cranking out cycles fast enough to satisfy 'em all. :-)

Whatever sequencer you choose to control it, if you enjoy patching together sounds the old-fashioned way, MMV will give you a kick like nothing else I've seen yet. It doesn't sound identical to the real hardware. But it's close and I expect it to get closer still with the free 2.0 upgrade.

Best wishes,

Meffy

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines