March 28, 2024, 09:15:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Missing features? Unison Mode With Voice Stacking & Union Detune?  (Read 5122 times)

MadeInMachines

Love the Arturia SEM but think a few cool features are missing. I thought Unison Mode With Voice Stacking & Union Detune would be the first thing on an 8 voice. The original has a unison and chord mode and the OB-8 and OB-X benefit greatly from that feature.
The sound in poly does seem to sound thicker though by default even if only one note is pressed so is this some kind of auto unison? Either way would be good to have more control over it.

I was also expecting that with the unison mode all 8 voices would be able to be edited individual so you could play different patches on each voice whilst playing just one note. Currently unless I'm mistaken you can only get the different voice variations of the using the different modules in a sequence so you can play the different voices on after the other but not at the same time. Would be cool to strike just one note and play a percussive sound at the same time etc etc. I got the impression the original had this feature but haven't used one - even if it didn't this would be a superbly interesting addition. I know you can use multiple instances to achieve the same effect though  but I thought it would be possible within one instance...the joy of multiple instances!! Layering different voices on one voice within one SEM instance would be sweet though. I thought that was a big part of appeal of the sem? Imagine that plus being able to modify the patch per key too....the possibilities would be endless! They're pretty great already  ;)

Also don't forget to change the fine tune shortcut key - nightmare for left handers using a trackpad on macbook. Use the alt or cmd keys are on both sides of the spacebar so would suit either right or left-handers on the mac version.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:25:08 am by MadeInMachines »

tomeso

• Beta-testers
Re: Missing features? Unison Mode With Voice Stacking & Union Detune?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:23 am »
Well I guess the reason for some "missing" 8-Voice features is that it is "just" a polyphonic SEM module and not an emulation of an 4-Voice or 8-Voice.   ;)

If Arturia had called it Arturia Oberheim 8-Voice, than you are right to say that some modes like 8 independed voice boards are missing. But it is "just" an extended SEM module.

Maybe you should check out the CS-80V which has of course a completely different sound, but offers those 8 individual voices to stack, layer, split that you requested.

Just my 2 cents though

Frank

"But please don't listen to me
I've already been poisoned by this industry!"
Funk Pop a Roll - XTC

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:12:24 am »
Imagine that plus being able to modify the patch per key too....
You can... take a closer look at the Modulation top panel (click OPEN at the top right) sections, especially the Keyboard Follow and of course, the Voice Programmer.

The keyb section, you can have 6 (from a longer list) simultaneous parameters being affected by each of the 128 MIDI keys (well, a linear/exp curve of up to 32 points applied over that range).

Same thing for the Voice section.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:17:22 am by Koshdukai »

MadeInMachines

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 07:34:35 pm »
Imagine that plus being able to modify the patch per key too....
You can... take a closer look at the Modulation top panel (click OPEN at the top right) sections, especially the Keyboard Follow and of course, the Voice Programmer.

The keyb section, you can have 6 (from a longer list) simultaneous parameters being affected by each of the 128 MIDI keys (well, a linear/exp curve of up to 32 points applied over that range).

Same thing for the Voice section.

I was acknowledging the patch per key feature even though It might have sounded otherwise...it's awesome :) I just meant that existing feature plus the one I suggested would be insane. Can easily be done though with multiple instances so no big deal.

On the other hand, it seems very odd they would extend it (brilliantly I might add) but then not give it unison? I can't understand why not.

Really could do with some feedback from arturia - so ridiculously difficult to change the osc fine tuning on an apple laptop. Do Arturia respond to posts on here? I am only demoing it so far so cant get in touch with technical support. If that's fixed will buy for sure though.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:38:41 pm by MadeInMachines »

Jone

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:00 pm »

Also don't forget to change the fine tune shortcut key - nightmare for left handers using a trackpad on macbook. Use the alt or cmd keys are on both sides of the spacebar so would suit either right or left-handers on the mac version.

You can fine tune also with right click and i believe you can configure Macs trackpad from  system preferences > keyboard and mouse > trackpad > two fingers > secondary click > check it
Hope it helps :)

MadeInMachines

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:12:43 pm »

You can fine tune also with right click and i believe you can configure Macs trackpad from  system preferences > keyboard and mouse > trackpad > two fingers > secondary click > check it
Hope it helps :)

Awesome tip! Thanks very much :) Works like a charm and is even better than pressing a shortcut key! Definitely can't resist buying the SEM now!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines