March 28, 2024, 07:33:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Complicated sounds crap out the SEM  (Read 3075 times)

johnallan

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Complicated sounds crap out the SEM
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:54:40 am »
First - A huge congratulations and even bigger thank you for making the Oberheim modular your next release - WHAT A CHRISTMAS PRESENT!

It does seem to be very cpu intensive however on your percent readout.
I programmed a very long resonant filter sweep and just started playing keys. After not to many seconds, the percent readout starts getting near and actually goes over 100% and the sound just totally craps out (with complete distortion).

It's a beautiful emulation when it is working though - hope you can fix this without sacrificing the beauty of it.

Thanks again for the SEM!
John
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:57:56 am by johnallan »

tommym

Re: Complicated sounds crap out the SEM
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:30:52 am »
I LOVE THIS! The "jump" sound is nailed. I'm still working on tweaking something that sounds like A2 (or was it A3) on the old OB-Xa I used to use with Ian Hunter....
Can anyone explain the best way to think of the ADR envelopes, as compared to ADSR's like the OB-Xa had? I guess the Decay control is for both Decay and Release? How is that organized? And although I've assigned knobs on a Novation ReMOTE 37SL to control the Fine Tuning of the Oscillators, I wish I could "see" what they're doing updated (in real time...) - when I hover over the Tuning Control (which double-functions as Coarse AND Fine): and turn the assigned MIDI knob, the sound changes, but the displayed value doesn't update in real time.) I guess I should start a WISH LIST thread, but maybe there is one. My first wish is to READ THE MANUAL. okay!  See ya later, and THANKS! ! @ ! ! @ @ ! ! very happy and excited. The OB-Xa didn't have velocity (or aftertouch) sensitivity, so this is Miles Ahead already.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
Re: Complicated sounds crap out the SEM
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:46:20 pm »
very happy and excited. The OB-Xa didn't have velocity (or aftertouch) sensitivity, so this is Miles Ahead already.
All that keyb, voice and modulation section is a huge extra that fits right in with all the expressiveness one can get out of the Ob SEM V :)

The voice matrix helps a lot to emulate the old Ob SEM 2, 4 and 8 Voice behavior.

I really love this "little" synth :D

I keep calling it "little" because at first I thought that a Saw/Pulse type pair of OSCs with just 1 variable type Filter and 2xADR synth would never become one of my favorite synths but... the fact is that it currently IS one of my favs ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:37:46 pm by Koshdukai »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines