March 28, 2024, 12:25:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Big Knob  (Read 13866 times)

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
Re: Big Knob
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »

Not that this is a real solution, but when I pull back on my Origin desktop's big knob while turning it, the skipping issue seems to go away.  I have traveled with my desktop and packed it in the back of my car with luggage and other stuff, so maybe (because of the knob's big surface area) it got pushed in too hard and got unhappy.

Sometimes I'm good and ready to open the Origin enclosure and try to repair that big knob myself.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 05:31:19 pm »

I decided to take matters into my own hands on the Big Knob issue. Got in touch with the service department. The "jumping cursor" issue is a hardware issue with the encoder, and this is the part number for the replacement (Google it):

PEC16-4220F-S0024

They are very cheap and very common parts. I ordered three of them, just to have some spare, and received them yesterday. The potentiometer/encoder is actually pretty small, it's just the plastic knob that is big :)

I will report back once I have replaced it in my Origin desktop. It's just a matter of un-soldering the old encoder and soldering in the new one. Most of the work will probably be opening the chassis and getting to the circuit board closest to the front panel that holds the encoder.

edemunari

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 06:21:40 pm »
Great job!!!
please, whenever you will do it, while you do it, make some foto or video and post it somewhere so we can do the same, disassembling origin and soldering the new encoder encoder.

Thanks, Eriberto

;D ;D ;D ;D
hi, Eriberto

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »
Great job indeed!

I too have very badly behaving big knob and also problems with LCD screen. I have wondered if those might be possible to fix somewhere here. Sending Origin Kb to France is a nightmare. My own skills are zero but I have a very good repair service near me. Problem is that Arturia has not helped me at all.

Anyway good luck and please send us data about how it goes! I am so glad that someone is willing to do something when Arturia does not.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:02:59 am by JacksonP »

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 04:51:50 pm »

Replacing the LCD seems to be actually a bit simpler than replacing the Big Knob. For both tasks you need a lot of patience..my desktop is disassembled right now, waiting for me to have more time to work on it.

tertior

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 07:00:34 pm »

For soldering it's 260 ° maximum for 3.5 seconds, also a soldering iron is 350 ° therefore provide the out a few seconds before welding. Solder with no clean flux
Make tests before welding.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 06:46:20 pm »
I thought I would link to the "Encoders Used?" thread here:

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=83317.0

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 06:55:32 pm »
The first picture shows the LCD and how I temporarily attached a long piece of paper to the LCD ribbon, and a (yellow) wire to the LCD power cable, in order to be able to thread them back to the main encoder board.

The second picture shows how I threaded the LCD ribbon and LCD power cable back through the main encoder board.

The third and fourth pictures show the contact cleaner I tried on the "big knob" potentiometer.

SAGEA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 09:12:12 pm »
Hi,

I also tried with contact cleaner and I have a big improvement.
By cons, when my Origin is just connected to power without any other cables I have no problems at all even after 30 minutes of use with just a headphones !

bye

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines