April 23, 2024, 11:29:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia UI on PC tablets like the iPad  (Read 2387 times)

Man-Machine

Arturia UI on PC tablets like the iPad
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:12:55 pm »
I've been an Arturia user and fan since the beginning and have all their products. I also owned almost all of the original synths (not CS-80) and can vouch for their emulations capabilities. Recently, I started re-buying all these vintage synths back again.

Why? Not because of the sound. Arturia emulations are very capable. I've switched back because of the user interface. I'm now way more productive using the real hardware.

I'm a musician that does not use presets. I always create my own sounds and tweak my synths live when recording or playing them. So user interface is VERY important for musicians like me.

So what's wrong with Arturia UI?!? The synths look beautiful and you can just map parameters to MIDI controllers. What's the problem?

Let's look at how we tweak a real hardware synth. I see three distinctive steps:

1 - Look for the parameter
2 - Reach for it.
3 - Tweak it.

Now let's apply these steps to the mouse/computer experience first.

Our first step (or problem) is finding the parameter on the computer screen. Arturia visual reproduction of the originals make the synth look small on screen when you proportionally compare with a person standing next to the real hardware. There's too much real estate being eaten by things that look beautiful but only make sense on the real hardware, like the keyboard keys, the rectangular shape of the synthesizer, etc. The original synth user interface was designed to make sense for the real hardware only, not computer screen and a mouse!

Second challenge is to try move the mouse pointer to that tiny area of the screen. Some switches and buttons can look very small with modern high resolution screens. On top of that, real fingers can feel switches, sliders, knobs. With hardware, when reaching for a parameter, you can just take a quick look and use the feel of your fingers to know when you're there!

Last challenged is tweaking. Click, hold, and move your hand in a careful motion that, combined with the proper mouse sensitivity, will hopefully get the reaction your looking for. Mmmmm, I think I'd rather move my fingers than try to emulate moving fingers...

Now let's look at the MIDI controller solution. It fixes a lot of these problems but adds others as well.

Unless you're willing pay big bucks for imitation controllers, there aren't any controllers out there that have enough buttons, sliders, switches, knobs to represent the original hardware

The controllers user interface is not arranged like the real synth. You miss the tweaking order/flow the original synth gives. Not to be understimated!

You also have to memorize what knob controls what parameter. Overlays or stickers can be a solution but not always, etc. Interfaces can change like Mg Modular V or Prophet V. Not very practical.

Then you have have overall general hassle of using a controller: knobs values not matching software parameters when changing presets, maintaining and setting up CC maps, etc.

So, in the end is not a perfect solution, but close. So what now? I do have a suggestion for Arturia to help in all these areas? PC Tablets!

Korg is a company doing it right now. You can mount an iPad to a tablet ready controller or use a cable. I'm using a Arturia Analog Player controler with my iPad and Korg iMS-20 emulation now! I tweak the synth parameters with my fingers on the screen or the knobs on the controller :)

It also offers tweaking view that re-arranges all the screen parameters so that they look BIG, INTUITIVE AND still LOOKS like a Korg MS-20!

I'm not sure Arturia's engine will run on a tablet but I guarantee they can offer at least a tweaking interface like Korg does. It still won't replace the original but in my current experiece, IT HELPING ME A LOT!!!
L8er Osci8ers

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines