March 29, 2024, 08:22:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: memory leak  (Read 4105 times)

bg

• Beta-testers
memory leak
« on: May 18, 2004, 07:30:29 pm »
Hello,

I am a registered user of the CS-80V and am having a problem with apparent memory leaks.

I am running version 1.1 as a VST plugin in Digital Performer 2.72 with VST Wrapper.  If I change presets, or just play notes on any given preset, the available RAM goes steadily down rather rapidly.  Within a few minutes, DP runs out of memory and crashes.

For comparison, I tried the CS-80V stand alone demo on a PC running Windows 2000 Professional.  I opened the Windows Task Manager and observed the Physical Memory Available readout.  The same thing happens:  Available RAM goes down with patch changes, notes played, or parameter changes.

The speed of the memory leak on the Mac, however, is much faster than on the PC.  I realize this is not scientific, but changing presets, etc. on the CS-80V for about 1 minute caused a 7MB loss of available RAM on the PC.  I'm not at the Mac now, but the Mac leak was much faster.  Starting with 120MB of free memory, I would get a DP low memory warning within 2 or 3 minutes!  I don't recall this happening with the demo version of CS-80V.  I remember browsing through every preset and never noticed a drop in RAM.  Since purchasing, I have added my own presets and downloaded others from the Arturia website, but this is the only difference I can think of.

For another comparison, I tried demo versions of B4 and Pro-53 on the PC, and both programs hold their RAM quite steady.  RAM would drop on some presets, but would recover on others.

Please understand that I am not looking for faults.  I love the sound of CS-80V (especially since getting a poly aftertouch controller), but it has become unusable of late due to the huge memory leak on the Mac.

One last note in the interest of investigation, I found the miniMg V demo version to exhibit similiar memory leak behavior.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Bart Garratt

Anonymous

memory leak
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 01:29:03 am »
I discovered what was causing the CS-80V to dump memory when using it with the Mac.

It turns out it was the MIDIboard controller that I recently bought.  In addition to polyphonic aftertouch it was also sending mono pressure which was routed to Continuous Controller #0.  For some reason, sending a string of CC#0 causes the CS-80V to consume RAM fast.  When I changed CC#0 to another controller number or turned it off, everything was normal.

RAM still drops slightly when changing patches, etc. but nothing like before.  The CS-80V is entirely usable now.

I noted in the previous post that I didn't remember having the RAM problem when I first tried the CS-80V demo.  Indeed, I hadn't gotten the MIDIboard yet.  What a relief!

Bart Garratt

xavier

memory leak
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 08:47:41 am »
Thank you for this report Bart,
I will check this before the next update
Xavier

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines