March 29, 2024, 10:31:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: using the miniMg v on my HP laptop.  (Read 5879 times)

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
using the miniMg v on my HP laptop.
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:50:58 am »
Hello, I've had this disc since 2003 and never have had the chance to use it yet. What do I need to make it play on my laptop? It has a cd-rom drive built in btw. Thank you in advance.

airshift

Antoine

Re: using the miniMg v on my HP laptop.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:10:32 am »
Theoretically, you should still be able to install and use this old version, as described in your User's Manual.

NOTE: since v2.0 the protection system scheme has toggled to eLicenser, as fully described in v2.0 of the User's Manual.
ex-Arturian

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:24:25 am »
Thanks Antoine,I did what you said and it works awesome. Now then,how do I hook a midi synth to this or do I need to buy a midi keyboard? My HP Pavillion dv6000 doesn't have a normal midi port,so I'm not quite sure what to do. Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Rand

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:12:39 pm »
Thanks Antoine,I did what you said and it works awesome. Now then,how do I hook a midi synth to this or do I need to buy a midi keyboard? My HP Pavillion dv6000 doesn't have a normal midi port,so I'm not quite sure what to do. Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Rand

If you have already a MIDI keyboard, you can buy a USB MIDI interface or you can simply get/buy a controller keyboard with a USB interface (usually act also as MIDI interfaces to use other MIDI only devices). Controllers like the Arturia ones or any other  (there's lots!) :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:53:29 pm by Koshdukai »

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:16:19 pm »
Cool. I already own 3 midi synth keyboards,so I just need a USB-Midi converter and I'm off to the races? Thank you again Antoine,you were a great help.

Rand ;D

Antoine

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:40:47 am »
You're welcome... but Koshdukai gave you the final tip!  :)
ex-Arturian

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:44:53 am »
sorry Koshdukai, I was very tired when I wrote that and of course I thank you for your help.

airshift

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:51:53 am »
Hey, no worries :)  ...the important thing is that you found a solution, that's basically what these user drive forums are for, right?

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:39:33 am »
Hello, I received my midi to usb converter today,but it came with no instructions. The Arturia manual is really confusing and my midi keyboard is an E-mu Proteus(1991) and I can't figure out how to make it all work. Please,someone HELP ME with connecting properly and anything else it will take to use the ext. midi keyboard. Going crazy with it all.
Thank you, Airshift

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 02:53:31 pm »
So, I'll try to do my best, doing the support job of both your USB interface seller and/or manufacturer and E-mu ;)

First part, the USB interface: if you're using Windows 7, Vista or XP, the MIDI interface part should be easy, just plug that USB cable to your laptop and wait for the OS to recognize it as a new interface and automatically install the drivers (net connection may be needed).

If it's Windows 2000 or below, you'll need to install a driver CD (or a download from the manufacturer site).

If by any chance, this USB interface isn't class compliant, then you'll need a driver no matter the OS version.

Now, the tricky part... E-mu Proteus keyboard: I've tried to find a manual on the web but wasn't sure what's the correct model, so if you can provide me a link to a user's manual I may be able to explain how to set it as a MIDI controller.

btw, is the USB interface a split (in/out) MIDI cable  at one end or does it have a dual MIDI plug ? If so, you'll need to buy a generic MIDI cable to plug that into the MIDI keyboard.

EDIT: Is this your keyb? E-mu Proteus MPS
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:03:29 pm by Koshdukai »

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:33:30 pm »
I have Windows Vista and the usb to midi does have a midi in and out and both are labled.
I do own the E-mu Master Performance System w/Orchestral Plus built in.

I wanted to ask you if the usb needs to be opened up to receive the keyboard?

THANK YOU, airshift.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:31:55 am by airshift »

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 01:40:55 pm »
I tried it again with the SQ Six-trak and still won't work the synth in the pc. I have decided that the midi-usb cable was D.O.A. and I have read many reviews on this Chinese piece of junk I paid $8 for,that none of them will function and was told to get an E-mu for $28 or a Yamaha for $40.

This is frustrating the hell out of me.

airshift

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 02:48:51 pm »
Sorry for not replying sooner (spare time is definitively not in abundance lately).

Ok, so you think it was the interface that was not working ? Never happened to me but it can happen (specially with weird unknown brands).

I thought your issue was with the Emu, thinking that you were unable to set it up as a MIDI controller (i.e. make it send MIDI OUT).

Some synths need to be configured as MIDI controllers to send out a MIDI stream, others simply always send every note and param change as MIDI out (those are easier to use as controllers) and the only option one would care about would be to turn OFF the local control (i.e. stop the synth from making sound when using it as a MIDI controller).

If/When you get a working interface, you'll really need to dive into your synth user or tech manual and see how to turn it into a MIDI controller.

...unless you decide to buy a dedicated USB based MIDI controller :)

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 10:23:00 am »
 ;D  Thanks for replying at all. Anyway, the E-mu already does midi with my E-mu Vintage Pro Keys module automatically. Granted it's receiving and not sending,but I figure it should work both ways. I am going to buy the E-mu usb-midi cable keeping it in the family and all.

I plan on ordering it right now in fact.

I will report back here what happens/or doesn't if that's the case.

airshift

airshift

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:57:03 am »
 ;D  Got it today. Plugged it in and it worked perfectly. I have never been so happy. I have been wanting Mg sounds ever since I heard Dick Hyman's The Eclectic Electrics Mg album in 1969.

Now all I need is someone to send me some 70's progressive rock miniMg patches please.

Thanks to all of you that helped me the last few months.

airshift

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines