March 28, 2024, 05:38:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What kind on Laptop/Soundcard combo do you use to run your Arturia Software?  (Read 2613 times)

PwrHsePro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
What kind on Laptop/Soundcard combo do you use to run your Arturia Software?

I need to purchase a Windows based laptop and I am not sure what to buy... I need it to run the stand-alone Mini Mg for live performance!

Thanx
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:59:36 am by PwrHsePro »

PwrHsePro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Maybe a better question is... Does anybody use a laptop for playing the Arturia MiniMg in a live performance situation?

PwrHsePro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Ok... struck out on the second question too.... lets try a third...

Does anyone out there use the Arturia MiniMg for live performance? What do you use to house the software?

Thanx again,
jeff

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
Ok... since no other users are responding here.
Most of the Artists that we work with and use the Arturia Soft Synths live on a laptop are using a MacBookPro with Apple's MainStage2 to host the AudioUnits plug-ins.
MiniMgV, CS-80V, Jupiter-8V and ProphetV (as well as Analog Factory / Laboratory) are probably the most used soft synths on live tours, to replace their hardware counterparts.

Phil999

I used and still use many laptops and even netbooks to host Arturia instruments (MgModular). A dual core CPU with 2+ GB RAM will have plenty of power, together with an ASIO audio interface (USB or firewire).

There is only one 'trap': some USB interfaces don't like some laptop chipsets. This is rather rare, but if it happens, it is unusable because of bad performance. I know of only one such combination, the Acer 7730 laptop together with NI AK1 interface. Using the laptop with different interfaces and using the AK1 with different laptops is no problem. But I think if you buy relatively modern equipment, there won't be any 'bad combinations' like I mentioned. My AK1 is a USB 1 type interface, and obviously badly constructed (also mechanically with bad switches and sockets).

After buying the laptop, you can test the audio interface first, and bring it back to the dealer if something is wrong (which is rather unlikely with USB2 type interfaces or firewire). Fast USB2 interfaces started appearing 2008. I have two of them from M-Audio (FastTrack and FastTrackUltra), they are very good and reliable.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines