March 29, 2024, 11:52:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Any way to map PolyAt Messages in addition to MIDI CC mapping  (Read 2639 times)

HUROLURA

Any way to map PolyAt Messages in addition to MIDI CC mapping
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:07 pm »
My intention could be to use the Origin also as a midi controller for other synths.

The question is would it be possible to add the possibility to add PolyAt message to be mapped to the MIDI mapping in addition to MIDI CC messages to expand the number of available parameters ?

To give you an example I'd like to use the Origin as a remote controller for let's say a Use-Audio Plugiator unit (which as parameters mapped to a mixed set of MIDI CC and Midi Poly AT message) then feed the Plugiator audio output to the Origin audio input as an additional sound source and be able to control the Plugiator parameter from the Origin Front Panel.

PS: just to make things clear PolyAT stand for MIDI Polyphonic Aftertouch messages, using this rarely used MIDI message set to expand the limited number of MIDI CC available. It was a trick used in the CreamWare synths and also the Soundarts Chameleon. Provided there is an easy way to de-activate this "feature" for owner of keyboards able to generate standards PolyAT message.
Actually I do not thing the Origin can bear PolyAT messages or is it the kind of messages used for the Duophonic aftertouch feature of the Origin Keyboard ?

Wish long life and success to the Origin range of products.

Niccolo

• Administrator
  • Arturia developer
Re: Any way to map PolyAt Messages in addition to MIDI CC mapping
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:21:22 pm »
In fact Origin is capable of handling Poly-aftertouch messages. In fact, the "Pressure" modulation source (that can be seen in the Progr/PERF page) corresponds to either the channel (mono) aftertouch or the key (poly) aftertouch, according to which is received.

Origin keyboard (and, starting from the 1.3 which is released today (!), Origin Desktop as well) has a duophonic aftertouch feature that allows to transform channel aftertouch into key aftertouch. But it does not send poly-aftertouch messages, only channel aftertouch: the duophonic feature is only for the audio kernel and is not transmitted outside.

So it would still be possible to assign PolyAt messages to parameters, but that feature does not seem to be so interesting: how many devices use this non-standard convention? Creamware could have used RPN and NRPN which are a more standard way to extend the number of available parameters...

HUROLURA

Re: Any way to map PolyAt Messages in addition to MIDI CC mapping
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:58:21 pm »
Agreed regarding the RPN and NRPN message to extend the number of parameter to be remote controlled without needing Sysex.
The thing is that's what creamware used for NOAH and ASB and something you can also find in Use-Audio Plugiator.

There are also people owning true PolyAT keyboard complaining about this as it disturb the behaviour of these units.

The only other unit I know using the same kind of "trick" is (was ?) the Soundart Chameleon Australis skin which is also one I may use the Origin for remote controlling.

I think the reason for such a choice preferred to RPN/NRPN is that as long as you can cope with 128 bit resolution similar to CC messages the PolyAT message is of the same size as the CC message (3 bytes) compared to RPN/NRPN which require to send first the number of the paramter with 2 set of 3-bytes message, then at least 1 more 3 byte message fo value as long as you do not whant to expand the resolution at the same time.
From this point of vue the PolyAT trick is much more efficient as the RPN/NRPN standard way to expand the number of parameter that can be addressed as it keep MIDI traffic lower.
Another point is that it is a way to get 128 extra parameter with a similar message treatment: PolyAT message can be used similarly as CC message by just using Note Number as Control number are used in CC messages. The way to handle both messages is really similar. RPN/NRPN requires a little more traffic and a little more computing ...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines