April 20, 2024, 07:36:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Low Output Level  (Read 3551 times)

Clot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Low Output Level
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:15:56 pm »
Hello, Since I've downloaded the 1.2.5 firmware I have a very low output level. Is there something that can be done to solve this problem ?

Thanks

Clot

holografique

Re: Low Output Level
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:39:24 am »
nope. apparently some architectural problem with the design they chose. if they raise it, it can cause distortion in the signal path.

you can get the synth to get loud if you make sure to turn up both the volume on both the mixer channel for a specific layer/part, as well as the main channel output in the "mixer" section. the problem though is that having the layer/part volume completely at max will usually cause distortion that is very audible, especially when playing polyphonic parts with multiple notes. the problem is not soo apparent when you are just playing a monophonic lead, synth, or drum sound.

im glad to know im not the only one that thinks it's very low for this type of synth. I don't understand why they don't just put a software based limiter at the output stage of each layer/part so that you can crank it, but get smooth saturation instead of the harsh distortion you get now.

Philippe

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:19:49 am »

I don't understand why they don't just put a software based limiter at the output stage of each layer/part so that you can crank it, but get smooth saturation instead of the harsh distortion you get now.

That's what we do. But at some point the limiter - which is indeed in the Origin a soft clipper - cannot prevent a clip of the signal  :-\
Origin Lead  Developer

Clot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:25:45 pm »
Hi, and thanks for your answers. So, according to your answer (the last one), for the moment there is no solution for that ......

Do you think Arturia will find a solution in a near future via a new firmware?

Regards

Clot

Philippe

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:31:38 am »
The low level output comes from the design of the electronic final output stage (a filter at the output of the DACs), which is out of control of the firmware. The only thing we can do is push the signal before it is pushed to the DACs at the cost of a greater distortion :(
Origin Lead  Developer

Clot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:32:18 pm »
Hi again,

Yes I understand, but then why I didn't have this low ouput signal with the 1.0.7 firmware I had before ....?  :-\

Thanks

Clot

Philippe

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:09:01 am »
Because the additional gain that was applied by the 1.0.7 firmware before outputting the signal to the DACs had the side effect of a nasty clipping of some sounds.

In the last weeks before 1.2.5 was released, I add to the firmware a hidden peace of code that enabled us to test different output settings. However it was too late and we couldn't do any validation before the release date. Since the decision has been taken by my hierarchy to keep the gain as it is now.
Origin Lead  Developer

Clot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »
Hi,

OK, thanks you for the explanation. At least now I know why.... (I suppose there is no possibility of going back to 1.0.7 firmware....).

Thanks

Cheers!

Clot

Guitarkeyboardplayer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:41:06 pm »
This won't help too many of you but the S/PDIF output is considerably louder than the 1/4" outputs.
Gary

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines