March 28, 2024, 11:54:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: USB-Dongle or Soft-eLicenser? What is the better solution?  (Read 10489 times)

HerrFrey

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
USB-Dongle or Soft-eLicenser? What is the better solution?
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:44:55 pm »
Hi,

I bought the Arturia V Collection 2.0 (Boxed). A USB-Dongle is included.

When I open the eLicenser-Controll Center, it is possible to drag the USB Dongle onto the e-Licencer icon, to transfer the licences to the harddisc, when I'm connected to the internet. Is this a good solution or should I continue with using the dongle?

When I transfer the licenses to the harddisc, is the Dongle still functional?
Perhaps my pc crashes, for example. Can I use the dongle again, to reinstall the software or does it cause registration-problems, when I'm not connected with the internet?

Should I remove the dongle, when I'm not making music?

Best!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:16:26 pm by HerrFrey »

thumky

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: USB-Dongle or Soft-eLicenser? What is the better solution?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:05:05 am »
This is an excellent question.  I'm wondering the same thing.  Arturia?

Antoine

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:01:03 pm »
This is *not* an Arturia official statement, but the friendly advice from the techie guy.

The V-Collection is now shipped with an already activated USB-eLicenser, containing a single "V-Collection 2" license which is transferable on the Soft-eLicenser virtual dongle, allowing the usage without the blue hardware key.

However, I *strongly* encourage all users to keep the license on the USB-eLicenser, simply because it is totally insensitive to your OS or hard-drive good/bad health, contrary to the virtual dongle solution, and also this will allow usage on several machines (which is always a very practical thing).

To say it with a bit of pathos: try to estimate the "disagreement" to have the blue hardware permanently plugged, compared with the absolute nightmare in case of hard drive crash, a Friday evening just before "the gig in a life" you have prepared for so long.

Now, it is your choice.  ;)

ex-Arturian

thejammer

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 04:17:07 pm »
Good point! :)

HerrFrey

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 12:53:08 pm »
@Antoine:

Thank you. Your answer is similar to my decission to leave the licences on the usb-key.

Since I bought the V-Collection I have plugged the key all the time in the usb port. Or is it better for the longevity of the hardware-dongle to remove it, when I'm making no music?

Antoine

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:02:35 pm »
I have no real technical argumentation on this question.

It's been about 5 years since we have used USB-eLicenser system, and merely all issues were related to physical damage, not electronic. OK, may be once after an electrical shock due to a storm lightning, but even the computer was dead.

Unplugging the dongle each time could avoid electrical hazard in case of storm lightning or similar phenomenon. But daily plug&unplug could also wear out the unit at some point, if too much physical effort is repetitively put onto.

So I cannot give any firm advice: your choice!
Mine is to let the dongle plugged behind the machine and simply forget about it.  :)
ex-Arturian

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:05:57 pm »
Was about to ask this, but I'm glad there's already a thread about it.

Now I understand the advantages of Record's CodeMeter dongle, where both the hardware key and the internet-dependent authorization work simultaneously.

It allow's me to keep the dongle in my backpack for when I'm on the road and/or offline while, on the other hand, using the net at home, on my main setup. I don't have to keep taking the usb key out, plugin it to the main setup, then keep in mind to take it out and put it back in the backpack when rushing out with my laptop.

I was hoping the eLicenser would allow me the same functionality... but now I see it won't... so... I'm pretty sure there'll be a lot of times I'll be Arturia-less on the road due to forgetting to take the dongle off the USB HUB off my main home setup...  :-\

What's funny is that DRM and copy protection measure makes life more difficult to those that actually pay for the products/services.

oh well... sorry for the rant  :P

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines