March 28, 2024, 08:07:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LFO amplitude attenuation too coarse  (Read 2290 times)

Antimon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
LFO amplitude attenuation too coarse
« on: June 26, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »
I like to put a faint LFO on the pitch of oscillators sometimes, to get a slight vibrator. I struggle a bit with this on the Origin.

If I connect an LFO to the FM input of an oscillator, and set the level knob as close to the middle position as possible, without actually being in the middle (displaying "Modulation Amount (...) 0.040" on the screen), I get a vibrato spanning what sounds like a half-note or more.

Am i missing something, or isn't it possible to have a lower modulation amount than this? Sure, I can connect a mod wheel or joystick axis to the LFO AM input to bring the amplitude down, but I would prefer not to lock up a controller for what is a simple attenuation task - on top of which I need to remember that I can't touch that controller unless I want to mess up the vibrator.

/Stefan

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: LFO amplitude attenuation too coarse
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:35:01 pm »
Hi Stefan!

Have you tried the "Fine" button? That should give you steps of 0.002.

In addition to this, there are several ways to gain stage the signals. You can adjust the gain both at the input of the target module and at the output of the source module. And you can use a "CV Modulator" module if you really need to tweak and adapt a modulation signal. But generally, just using the "Fine" button should give you fairly subtle control of the gain.

On a related note, one thing that I missed in the beginning is that every connection you add to an input or output of a module has its own gain setting. You need to select the connection you want to adjust the gain for from the connections menu.

There's both subtlety and depth lurking in there...  :)

DJ
--
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 04:05:43 pm by DrJustice »

Antimon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: LFO amplitude attenuation too coarse
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:34:34 pm »
D'Oh! So that was what that weird "fine" button was for. I've seen it, wondered a bit about it, and then gotten caught up in something else. Thanks a bunch, DJ!

/Stefan

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines