April 26, 2024, 04:27:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Triggering without a keyboard?  (Read 4592 times)

dedmousie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Triggering without a keyboard?
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:41:09 pm »
Is is possible to assign triggers and such to front panel controls as to allow playing the instrument *without* the use of a keyboard - similar as to how it's possible to perform with an Arp 2600 with the panel only, no keyboard, or Synthi, with no keyboard?.

Example - Is it possible to patch it so an LFO or other "event" could trigger an EG and/or assign another trigger event at the end of the EG to trigger something else?

Though I'm classically trained, I'm simply not that interested in tonal music anymore and the keyboard is more of a hindrance than a help to what I'm trying to accomplish. I've no keyboard for my modular synth - isn't needed.....

dedmousie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Triggering without a keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:31:19 am »
Studying the manual - I'm not really sure I can do what I would like in a patch.

Somebody with an Origin - can any of the below be done:

1. Open up the main VCA so there's always a sound, regardless of any keyboard triggers or not.

2. If #1 works - can you assign something like pitch to vertical axis of the joystick and VCA gain to the horizontal - thusly completely "playing" the instrument with the joystick without a keyboard connected?

3. Assign any of the buttons on the panel as a trigger?

4. Patching wise, can you trigger an EG with a square or saw wave from an LFO?

I'm really gonoing to have to find one of these things and sit down in front of it for awhile to tell i think...

Thanks...

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:13:39 pm »
There are ways to do something like that, not exactly as you suggest, but close.

AFAIK, the VCAs only open when receiving signal from an EG.

The only other events that can trigger the EGs, other than a MIDI input (keyboard or other alternative controller), are Trig events from the internal sequencer.

There is a dedicated PLAY/STOP button for the internal sequencer, and there are "Sequence Auto-Start" and "Sequence Start Key" options in the System page that allow the sequencer to start without receiving a MIDI note (not described in the V1.0 manual as these options were added after the manual was written).
Therefore, this PLAY/STOP button can be used as a trigger.
- If you want repeated notes, you can let the sequencer run (similar to your idea of using the square wave of an LFO, except you have more control over sequencer events timing)
- If you just want to open the VCA, you can set an EG with Sustain and Release at the maximum and enable the HOLD key, so just starting/stopping the sequencer will trigger the EG that will stay "Open" until the HOLD button is disabled.

And yes, it is possible to assign the Joystick to pitch control and VGA gain control.
(you can assign the joystick axis to pretty much anything)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:16:18 pm by Sean W »

dedmousie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:33:27 am »
Hmmm - interesting.

It will get more interesting (in my opinion) when the Arp 2600 emulation is complete. I almost never used the keyboard with mine. The front panel was the performance controller...

dedmousie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:56:36 pm »
So - feature request:

1. Trigger EG from other mod sources

2. Direct access to VCA levels so no EG needed if desired (ex: I should be able to get audio from the VCA simply by modding with a waveform from a LFO). This would also seem important if using a wind controller.

3. EG generates an "End of Cycle" trigger that can be used to trigger another event.

4. Inclusion on an envelope follower module with adjustable trigger threshold.

Please correct me if I'm missing anything on the above!

Philippe

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:07:33 am »

Do you mean being able to trig an EG using any modulation signal? This is not possible today but could be done.

2. Direct access to VCA levels so no EG needed if desired (ex: I should be able to get audio from the VCA simply by modding with a waveform from a LFO). This would also seem important if using a wind controller.

The VCA is already coded in such a way that it may be opened without an EG connected to it, what is missing is "something" above that enables you to use this feature. Your request is noted.

3. EG generates an "End of Cycle" trigger that can be used to trigger another event.

Noted.

4. Inclusion on an envelope follower module with adjustable trigger threshold.

Planned as part of the templates coming with the 1.5
Origin Lead  Developer

dedmousie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 12:41:36 am »
Do you mean being able to trig an EG using any modulation signal? This is not possible today but could be done.

Yea - I'm an old modular guy. Started with Arp 2600 when they were, uh, new (showing my age) and have a Modcan system now. Seriously looking at a small Serge too.. 

So, a positive going saw from a LFO or any other signal with a good spike could trigger the EG. Or you can gate it with a square wave ...

All this is the key to free running "noodle" patches - which I'm rather fond of! Since Clavia has dropped the Nord Modular series at this point, I'm looking at other options and the Origin seems to slowly be shaping up as my first consideration

I'm impressed with the responses and feature considerations! Thanks very much!

BobTheDog

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:37:50 am »

This would be a great addition.

Cheers

Andy

dedmousie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:20:55 pm »
Of course you realize that as soon as you consider any of the features discussed above, we're going to start requesting pulse dividers, logic modules, comparators, and low pass gate modules...

BobTheDog

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 02:22:48 pm »
Yes Please  ;D

Antoine

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 03:17:41 pm »
...and I want a Saw Animator !!!
(oops, did I write this?)  :-X
ex-Arturian

sparks

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 04:59:39 pm »

This would be a great addition.

Cheers

Andy

+1, I was trying to do that the other day.

dedmousie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 06:21:54 am »

The VCA is already coded in such a way that it may be opened without an EG connected to it, what is missing is "something" above that enables you to use this feature. Your request is noted.

Another good reason for this request ...

I've been thinking about a Haken Continuum (...and NOT because Rudess has one - I have no desire to shred like a lead guitar!!!) as an addition to my performance system. If using a controller such as this one, I would much prefer to directly control VCA level from the pressure sensor or perhaps the y axis and bypass using an EG altogether...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines