April 18, 2024, 02:01:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Step Sequencer Questions  (Read 3048 times)

Daim

Step Sequencer Questions
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:20:22 pm »
Hi, I'm interested in buying an Origin but got some questions about the step sequencer that i can't figure out by reading the manual.

1. Can you actually trigger notes by using the step sequencer? Or do you need an external midi input in order to start a sequence and the step sequencer only acts like an arppegiator?

2. Can you affect the note length of different steps individually? I don't mean the decay but the actually input you give like 1/2th or 1/8 notes.

That's big questions when you want to use the machine live or take it into your bed :)

Philippe

Re: Step Sequencer Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:24:02 am »
1. Can you actually trigger notes by using the step sequencer? Or do you need an external midi input in order to start a sequence and the step sequencer only acts like an arppegiator?

The Origin sequencer is an (emulation of an) analog step sequencer. That is it outputs for each track a set of signals: the step value (which can be quantized), one gate (trig) and one 2 segments envelope (accent). Each Program (slot) has its own sequencer, and each sequencer has 3 tracks.

This sequencer does not output MIDI messages (until now at least, maybe someday....).

2. Can you affect the note length of different steps individually? I don't mean the decay but the actually input you give like 1/2th or 1/8 notes.

No. What you can do is:
- when synced to the bpm, you can select the sync ratio (eg 1/4, 1/8...) that is play faster or slower a step being a quarter note, an eigth note, etc... Then all steps are faster or slower.
- adjust some kind of PWM for each step value. With a pwm set to 50% for instance you will get a step reaching its value during the 1st half of the step, and going back to 0 during the 2nd half. This parameter does not change he whole step duration.
- set a swing parameter. A longer step is followed by a shorter is followed by a longer...
Origin Lead  Developer

Superwaldi

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:32:57 am »
You can start the stepsequenzer by pressing start/stop button. Changing pattern is just away another button. But I have to admit honestly, there should be a midi trigger as pitch reference. I'm not sure if there is a workaround for that to avoid miditriggers.

You can get above fixed note lengthes using the slide parameter. That doesn't bring freedom to create every note length, but works well for me. You can change velocity and volume within the steps to get more dynamic patterns.

Moreover you can use the step sequencer as modulation sources for nearly everything.

The origin is a great machine, buy it !!! ;-)

On Page 38 in the manual there is a mini introduction to the stepsequencer. May you can try this out in a shop around. I guess, it will be the most helpful clue how the stepsequences are working and what can be done. It says press the button her and then there. Do it and then change and press what ever you like to see what is possible.

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »
philippe,

do you think a link function between steps could be possible to implement, to get longer note ?

ex: one step  = 1/16 note
 2 steps linked = 1/8 note

etc etc

thanx

Philippe

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:47 pm »
do you think a link function between steps could be possible to implement, to get longer note ?

ex: one step  = 1/16 note
 2 steps linked = 1/8 note

That is something which is doable with the current firmware as follows:
- set the 2 steps to the same value
- set the step length to 100%
The Sequencer will then output a constant and continuous value across the two steps.
Origin Lead  Developer

Niccolo

• Administrator
  • Arturia developer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:49:36 pm »

There is a global setting called "Sequence Auto Start" that lets you choose that. If this is Off, you will need an external midi input to start the sequence, but if you turn it On, the sequence will start automatically when you load the preset, or when you press the Play button. You can also choose the starting note in this case.

Daim

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 07:36:23 pm »
Thx to everyone for the great answers! I think I'll buy it  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines