Oberheim OB-XA
16 (21.1%)
Rhodes Chroma
5 (6.6%)
MemoryMoog
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: February 26, 2004, 09:33:59 am

Author Topic: The Next One ?  (Read 176200 times)

Hotrock

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
how about
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2004, 12:25:19 pm »
Why not create a strictly Arturia synth concieved of ALL the best features from all the top synths? Arturia are unique in actually listening to its customers and the wish lists speak volumes here. Emulions of existing synths are great but you have the power and talent to build one hell of a beast in one unit. Go on Arturia, kick all opposition where it hurts and release the Arturia Wishsynth!

By the way MMV2? WICKED!
I read once about the evils of drink.
So I've stopped reading

Hotrock

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
how about
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2004, 12:25:41 pm »
Why not create a strictly Arturia synth concieved of ALL the best features from all the top synths? Arturia are unique in actually listening to its customers and the wish lists speak volumes here. Emulions of existing synths are great but you have the power and talent to build one hell of a beast in one unit. Go on Arturia, kick all opposition where it hurts and release the Arturia Wishsynth!

By the way MMV2? WICKED!
So I've stopped reading

Hotrock

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
how about
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2004, 12:29:09 pm »

By the way MMV2? WICKED!
So I've stopped reading

Humble Guest

Vote Obie
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2004, 10:05:37 pm »
I agree with many of the comments already made here about Roland and Korg. Neither will ever let their products be "softsynthed", no matter how good the emulation, as they are big enough that they would rather do a "less good" imitation and milk their old glory for all it is worth.

Sad but true, so no Jupiters, PS 3X00 or the like....

The key is to find a unique instrument to emulate, or emulate something in a manner which it has not been done before.

One big hole in the industry remains the simple big american polysynth. The Prophet has been emulated, but IMHO not as well as it could have been, and certainly not with the typical refinements which Arturia does so well (the extensive modulation routings etc.).

Personally, I am still waiting for someone to give me a sound that will actually allow me to leave my OB-8 at home for my next gig (and believe me, as I get older, size and weight is becoming an issue!!). Overall, I think the Oberheim sound is where Arturia should go next.

With that in mind, everyone is revved up on the Oberheim Xpander. What is good about this instrument is NOT its sound generation technology (lower class of Curtis chips), but its extensive modulation routings and filter choices. The true "Oberheim" sound lies in the OB-X through OB-8 synthesizers, and owes a lot to good engineering, and good quality chips.

Why not develop an instrument based on the sound generation technology of the OB series (fast "hardware" envelopes, higher quality Curtis-style oscillators and filters, simple "panel" routing options), and build in the modulation routings and additional filter settings of the Xpander (also capable with the better filter chips, with a little work!) lying in behind?

Essentially, what you would have is an instrument capable of producing typical OB series sounds (big brass, lush strings, fat bass, searing leads), but can also produce the complexity of sound from the Xpander. Trust me, if money and hardware size were no object, I'm sure the lads at Oberheim would have built the Xpander out of the higher grade chips!!

You could even have the software version read sysex data from the Xpander/Matrix series, although the sound would definitely be "fuller" than the original if an A/B comparison was done....

The CS is the ultimate in Japanese analog polys, now lets get a big unwieldly american model in there!! (and no, I'm not from the US!)

Keep it up Arturia!!

overflow

The Next One ?
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2004, 08:19:15 am »
ARP 2600 please !!!

thank you,
overflow.

overflow

The Next One ?
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2004, 08:19:42 am »
ARP2600 please !!!

thank you,
overflow.

overflow

The Next One ?
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2004, 08:20:13 am »
My vote for ARP2600.

o.

overflow

The Next One ?
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2004, 08:25:19 am »
arp 2600 please!

thank you,
o.

overflow

The Next One ?
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2004, 07:56:11 am »
My vote for Arp 2600.

o.

Boulotaur2024

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The Next One ?
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2006, 07:34:33 pm »
I mentionned this idea in another thread, but I'm going to reiterate : wouldn't it be possible for Arturia to make a "cs-80v pack" featuring a dedicated polyaftertouch keyboard ?

I know it may sound silly, but where the actual cs-80 shone was in the performance controls, no synth has ever been -still today- as expressive as the cs-80v, partly thanks to polyphonic aftertouch.

So the emulation done with cs-80v may be great, but we're actually losing one tremendously important feature that contributed to make the essence of the original !

The weighted keyboard's velocity [of the cs-80] could control amplitude, filter cutoff and a special pitch envelope whilst the keyboard's totally polyphonic aftertouch could control amplitude, filter cutoff, the pulse width LFO and the main LFO's speed and depth.

Polyphonic aftertouch is something that has to be used to be believed.
Basically, the aftertouch is available independently for each voice so you can hold down a chord and swell just one note in by pressing harder on one key (unlike conventional aftertouch where doing the same would affect all voices equally).

One of the CS80's most famous users, Vangelis, used this to great effect in his music and you can hear it all over the sound track he wrote for the film Blade Runner and is a trademark sound in much of his music.

Source

Man-Machine

What we really want are the ones with legal issues!!!
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2006, 04:25:22 pm »
Arturia should continue on emulating great vintage synthesizer emulations but the problem is that the next most desireable ones have legal issues preventing them from happening (Korgs, Rolands and Oberheims). Luckily Korg themselves emulated some of theirs but there's still a big gap in the VST world for those Rolands and Oberheim type of sounds.

I guess I'd pick any nice monosynth next, like a SCI Pro-One. It would have to sound big and thick though like the hardware counterpart.
L8er Osci8ers

omissis

The Next One ?
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2006, 05:02:00 pm »
Arturia should continue on emulating great vintage synthesizer emulations but the problem is that the next most desireable ones have legal issues preventing them from happening (Korgs, Rolands and Oberheims). Luckily Korg themselves emulated some of theirs but there's still a big gap in the VST world for those Rolands and Oberheim type of sounds.

Has Elka SYNTHEX any legal issue?? I don't think so, nor the developer ( Mr. Maggi ) has  :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

Man-Machine

The Next One ?
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2006, 06:58:44 pm »
That's probably the most desirable polysynth of the legally possible ones  but I just need an emulation of a big monosynth sound. I just don't think the MiniMg V can quite compete with the hardware counterpart yet. Perhaps in the next update Arturia??? I compared it's 3 OSC fullness against my 2 OSC Pro-One and it didn't cut it. I wonder what a real 3 OSC Mini would do...
L8er Osci8ers

poropat

The Next One ?
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2006, 02:00:53 am »
Has Elka SYNTHEX any legal issue?? I don't think so, nor the developer ( Mr. Maggi ) has

Right Max, so we keep on Synthex for the next one,
but after they correct every bugs and improve everything
on the previous Vst's :D
VCollection 8

omissis

The Next One ?
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2006, 12:11:26 pm »
They MUST do it, I entered more than 50 bug reports since December, and this is only for the CS80V!!!!!

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines