March 29, 2024, 11:56:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How come the Prophet V sounds so much fatter than my real Sequential C. Pro-One?  (Read 4686 times)

aaron aardvark

I have never played a real Prophet 5, but I have played a real Prophet 600 (probably over 20 years ago at Guitar Center).  My first synth is a real Sequential Circuits Pro-One monophonic synth.  I still have it, but it quit working many years ago.  I really love the Prophet V factory preset #21 (especially when you add some stereo delay & some chorus to it).  My real Pro-One never sounded this huge (not even counting any delay or chorus effects).  I noticed preset #21 has the Unison button turned on.  If you turn it off, it sounds a lot thinner, and pretty close to the Pro-One.  I'm guessing the real Prophet 5 had all 5 voices going at once even playing just one note when Unison is turned on?  Assuming this is true, does Prophet V also have 5 voices going at once with playing just one note?  Another question: the clangorous bell sound on the Vapors "Turning Japanese" at 2:40, isn't that a Prophet 5 sound?  If so, how do you get it?  Here is the video, but no keyboards shown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4

alain67

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
hi if you have questions about programming sounds you can ask me (i was called mr prophet in the music business as the prophet 5 and ppg wave are my mainstay hardware for years) 

yes unison mode triggers all available voices under one key , in real prophet 5  its 10 oscillators 2 per voice , in prophet v it depends how much voices you assign to the plugin (can be more than the hardware)

the pro one and prophet 5 were very different beasts (there is always the misconception that the pro one was 1 voice of a prophet 5 wich isnt true) first the CEM curtiss chips
that were employed in prophet rev3 were not the same as in the pro one , not for osc and not for filters (the prophet 600 and T8 had the same chips as the pro one) , the filter
of the pro one was slightly overdriven at output , again not on prophet 5,  the 5 employed a unique way of modulating voices in poly mod , the result of modulation was
changed polyphonically by the amount of voices that were depressed on the keyboard

turning japanese indeed uses the 'falling bells' patch of the prophet 5 (a sound that was used a lot by gary numan as well) the ring mod main osc frequency  in that is sweeped by the filter envellope, adjust the depth of the sweep in the poly mod section, you can ask for a patch that explains it more in depth if you cant find it yourself
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:12:42 am by alain67 »

aaron aardvark

alain67,
Thank you very much for replying!!  I am surprised I didn't notice that Descending Bells (#53) factory preset before!  I tweaked the Poly-Mod Filt Env like you said, added some chorus & delay, and Voila!  Cool!  Feel free to elaborate if you have any claims to fame (working with famous people, playing at known venues, radio play, songs you want to share/show off, etc.).  Thanks again!!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:08:33 pm by aaron aardvark »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines