April 25, 2024, 03:30:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia's Syncrosoft Securit Dongle Model Is Totally Wrong  (Read 4249 times)

keithirving

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Arturia's Syncrosoft Securit Dongle Model Is Totally Wrong
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:05:20 pm »
I bought all of their classic soft synths and love them - the thing that aggravates me is that the P5 the J8 and now the MiniMg rely on this completely unreliable and hap-hazard method of security. On my PC I have several devices connected to my USB ports - i also have an extra hub. Far too often, while all the other devices are found by the computer, the Arturia Syncrosoft dongles are not. I use Reaper mainly and Cubase sometimes. So many times I now have to reboot the PC because neither application can find their products and crash. This does not keep existing customers happy and does not provide any reassurance to future potential customers. I know one 'previous' user in Moscow, who used the products on a MAC and has since dropped all their products because of this intrusive and poorly designed security measure. On top of that, we cannot, as a user base, expect much change from Arturia in the future as their support for upgrades is horrendously slow, their actual support to other people (looking at the problems in the forums) is often sarcastic, unprofessional and unhelpful, - and their development plans appear to be highly secret or non-existent.
Thanks Arturia, for thinking about your genuine customers! NOT!!!

Keith

Musicliner

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Arturia's Syncrosoft Securit Dongle Model Is Totally Wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:08:57 am »
I agree with you Keith - the world would be a better place without dongles. :)

tomeso

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 10:54:22 am »
I am soooo sick and tired of all those dongle complaints. Dongles are so convinient when you change your hardware quite often. And the eLicenser dongle (formerly known as Syncrosoft dongle) is much better and consumer friendly than the iLok system.

Maybe you want to check the facts:
MiniMg V and Analog Factory 2 (and probably all upcoming upgrades) use the so called soft-eLicenser which does -not- need a hardware dongle.
Please read the following file for more details:
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/kb_upload/documents/Syncrosoft_AF2-AFE_EN_print.pdf

Just my 0,02 Euro

Frank
"But please don't listen to me
I've already been poisoned by this industry!"
Funk Pop a Roll - XTC

Antoine

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:31 am »
I will not debate about dongles, this is a long-time and passionate controversy, almost as famous as "analog vs. digital" or "software vs. hardware synths", or even "my synth is better than yours". There are pros and cons, and the fact is that this protection system has gained adoption from some major editors in the software music industry, and Arturia selected it as well, balancing on previous experiences (challenge response, original CD + license number).

On top of that, we cannot, as a user base, expect much change from Arturia in the future as their support for upgrades is horrendously slow
We are willing to change that, and wish to release bug fixes more often instead of rare, big & strong updates. Don't expect one version per week, though.

their actual support to other people (looking at the problems in the forums) is often sarcastic, unprofessional and unhelpful,
Probably because:
_ The forums are *not* the good place for technical inquiries (longly debated elsewhere), as each case often requires individual data that have not to be displayed here, among other reasons. However most common errors have their responses here.
_ Most of the inquiries could be easily solved in minutes by some users if they only dropped an eye to their User's Manual, or available docs in Resources sections, or in the Knowledge Base;
_ I assume sometimes to get slightly irritated when unfriendly words are pronounced, and use the right to calm down a topic with the adequate means, even possibly with a hint of acid humor. As a reverse consequence, you will notice there is a nice touch of free speech here, as even strong negative messages are let, and only 2 messages deleted in 2 years (strictly because of explicit insults).

and their development plans appear to be highly secret or non-existent.
We do not want to display our plans to the whole world, full transparency is not really desirable in an industrial context.

Hope this clarifies a bit.
ex-Arturian

keithirving

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:02:17 pm »
Antoine, thank you for your response  - coming from  nearly 30 years in (in my case) a highly secretive software development environment, I appreciate what you are saying. I. like most like minded users, would be more than happy to use any security system associated with a software application if it could be relied upon not to cause spurious and unrepeatable crashing problems with other applications that it interacts with. Now, I know that I could report a problem through the correct channels if I needed to - but I cannot be sure that either Reaper v3 or Cubase LE4 are not responsible themselves in some way. I own 2 of your dongles (both attached to my USB hub), 1 for Prophet V and the other for the Jupiter 8V (with now the MiniMg v2). Everything installed correctly and the dongles hold the licenses OK but 'sometimes' are not visible to my host applications. Now, a helpful gentleman has indicated that I don't need the dongles at all and that I can eLicense them on my host PC. Not finding your web site that intuitive to navigate, please could you point me to the right page that can help me transfer or copy the licenses from the dongles to my PC - and then, I assume, I can remove the dongles from the hub completely, or am I incorrect in that too?

Thank you,
Kind Regards,

Keith

OpenMind

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:44:57 pm »
Now, a helpful gentleman has indicated that I don't need the dongles at all and that I can eLicense them on my host PC.

You can move licenses from one dongle to another in your eLicenser Control Center by drag-and-drop.
In the original Syncrosoft software, this could be done from the menu.

I don't know if it is possible to move a license from a dongle to the harddisk-eLicenser. But I wouldn't advice that.
If your harddisk crashes, you will have lots of troubles to get new licenses from the software companies.... They all might want your harddisk as proof, but I wouldn't know how to send a harddisk to two or three companies.  ???

I have licenses from Steinberg, Korg and Arturia and use 1 dongle for each brand. If a dongle dies, I only need to send it to one company.
All Arturia synths , BRASS, Windows XP 32-bit & Windows 7 64-bit

Antoine

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 02:04:21 pm »
I also appreciate your response Keith, your views are legitimate, and we hear about the users comments, even if we do not reply systematically.

keithirving said
Now, a helpful gentleman has indicated that I don't need the dongles at all and that I can eLicense them on my host PC.
Until next updates, only the Analog Factory and MiniMg-V licenses are such movable, because their default protection is Soft-eLicenser (virtual dongle), which is compatible with the USB-eLicenser (hardware dongle): you can move the license from one dongle type to the other.
As far as I know, next synths are programmed to be protected through Soft-eLicenser by default, therefore you will be able to move their license as well. Just a few weeks more patience...

Not finding your web site that intuitive to navigate,
Yes, that is a fact, and our webmaster is on heavy work to correct that. Especially the users accounts are being redesigned to match full access to all Tech Support docs & correspondence, improved licenses management, and much more... This will greatly improve the service toward the user, as well as reducing the load at the Technical Support Dept. So you can be sure I regularly and strongly stimulate my colleague to complete his (not so trivial) work.  ;)
ex-Arturian

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:17:36 pm »
This is all great to hear!  Thanks Antoine for being specific and forthright on these matters. :)  We Arturia users really appreciate this kind of answer giving.
Mac Pro 3.1,2x2.80 GHz. Intel Xeon Quad core 16GB RAM
2 OS drives: El Capitain 10.11.6\Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Ableton Live Suite 9.7.7\10.0.2
V collection 3, SparkLE 2.1, Beatstep

jgnunez

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:58:53 pm »
Well, I don't know if Antoine is the only person working for Arturia (LOL) but seems to be the most involved with the forums and tech support.

They did finaly answered my questions and solved my problems. I always liked their software. Still think that the dongle thing is a hassle, however, I also understand their security concerns. Being in the industry I know that I would not like to have my many and long hours of work copied and sold by another person at a very low price with no benefit to me.

Don't like it (DONGLE) but understant it. And I think the company is really doing an effort (at least Antoine is) to get better at customer service.

Thanks for your help Antoine.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines