March 28, 2024, 01:05:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Is this program a dead duck?  (Read 9583 times)

Trevor

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Is this program a dead duck?
« on: March 26, 2008, 04:37:53 pm »
Having taken months to get the program up and running as it ought (not a fault in BRASS, I don't think, just a fluke error between it and my sequencer) it looks as if there is no real discussion going on here or anywhere else about the program, and I've seen no Arturia adverts for it either. Is this the ned of development? Anyone at Arturia reading this?

Frustrating, because I'm really taken with what it can do, now that I can really use it.

Antoine

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:12:46 pm »
A major Brass update is currently on work, still in cooperation with our friends from IRCAM Paris.
Unfortunately I have no release date to offer.
ex-Arturian

Trevor

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:10:32 pm »
That's marvelous. Any idea what sort of direction the new version is going? Is there any point in my giving my impressions of and thoughts on the current version?

Kappa

• Beta-testers
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »
Is there any point in my giving my impressions of and thoughts on the current version?

Hi Trevor,
I'm the project manager for the next Brass version and, although I'm working on it only 50% of the time right now(we have to finish Origin asap), I would appreciate any thoughts you have, I've finished the external specs for the new version but I can still add things...
...so you can either post your suggestions here or PM me.
Cheers
Arturia
Audio Lib

slammah2012

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:34:47 am »
Quote from: "Kappa"
Is there any point in my giving my impressions of and thoughts on the current version?

Hi Trevor,
I'm the project manager for the next Brass version and, although I'm working on it only 50% of the time right now(we have to finish Origin asap), I would appreciate any thoughts you have, I've finished the external specs for the new version but I can still add things...
...so you can either post your suggestions here or PM me.
Cheers

Will this next version be an update to the one I purchased???...
One thing I would like to see is a mono/poly version....
I had absolutly no use for the >>riff<< part of the Engine...I checked it out, but it only inspired me to bring up the polyphony point to the live mode.....

In Riff mode, multiple brass engines are used......I have seen Combi's with trumpet, sax,and Trombone....
In live mode...I would like to be able to create a split point on a keyboard(or separate midi channel)and use the upper (melody) with all of the real time performance bells and whistles the Mono instrument currently has...

But I would also like to be able to pad chords in the lower (greyed off sections) with a secondary chosen patch that uses a  more limited performance section.....(like your secondary automation modulation window has....)

also.....Would the Sax be able to blow over into the higher octaves???
I find I can not recreate some notes or registers our Tenor player used to hit  on our album.....which was the main reason for my purchase.....

A change like this would breath wind into the brass again.......

Trevor

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:46:17 am »
Dear Kappa,
I second all of the above suggestions. - I suspect most users will feel similarly after using the program.

How much difficulty would be involved in adding instruments from the same families? Given the same tone-producing mechanisms, could we have a clarino trumpet, a cornet, and a flugelhorn as well as a B flat trumpet?

And a full quartet of SATB saxes?

How about a tuba and bass trombone?

In MIDI terms, and further to slammah212's requests, if the present version can play the multitimbral riffs as if each instrument was on a separate midi channel, could a new version address multiple MIDI channels in the same instance for the user?

When I use Brass as a plugin in Digital Performer  the plugin shows 16 options (BRASS 1-16) when selecting a destination for a midi track. Have I misunderstood something? I don't seem to be able to use more than one midi channel in each instance of BRASS. To address BRASS 2-12 separately I have to instantiate again. I appear to be choosing numbered instances of BRASS, not MIDI channels. Why display instances that haven't been instantiated yet?

This seems counterintuitive to me - my other VIs are listed as their name followed by 16 useable MIDI channels. 16 separate MIDI tracks can address any of the 16 MIDI channels in one instance of MACH 5 or Ethno Instrument, for instance. Then, another instance of the VI brings up 16 more MIDI channels.

BRASS appears to me to offer a single MIDI channel with 15 redundant ones for each instance (?) OR it is listing 15 other separate instances of BRASS when I have only instantiated one.

Please excuse the preceding paragraphs if I've missed something obvious. Whether I have or not, I would say this MIDI channel area could be more clearly explained (see the next paragraph) and/or better designed.

With respect, the English language version of the manual could use (at least) a thorough proof-reading by an native English speaking editor. I don't know if this comment applies to any of the other translations.

In general I found the manual unclear.

Thanks for considering these comments. I look forward (how soon?) to the new version with great interest. Thanks for the work so far! I  very much enjoy using the program.

Trevor

robiedobie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
brass and digital performer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 11:08:30 pm »
I can't get Brass to open up as a plug-in in Digital Performer on both my Intel Macbook Pro or my dual processor G5. ANd although the application came with a card with a license number printed on it, while loading the app, I was never asked for any codes whatsoever. The manual states that you should not have the syncrosoft dongle plugged in while loading the app-which is bizarre and results in an error message-and I could go on and on but the bottom line is that Arturia seems to be selling a product that they know doesn't work!

Antoine

Re: brass and digital performer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 10:00:36 am »
Quote from: "robiedobie"
The manual states that you should not have the syncrosoft dongle plugged in while loading the app

The manual states that you should not plug your dongle until the installation process is complete. (pages 11 & 14, English manual)
Of course you'll need it plugged before launching the application; if not, you'll get this error message.

I could go on and on but the bottom line is that Arturia seems to be selling a product that they know doesn't work

No comment...  :roll:
ex-Arturian

Joannes

Re: Is this program a dead duck?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »
Greetings from Portugal. Evora city.
A presets sugestion:  Ancient wind instruments like sackbuts(ancient trombone), cornets( anct. trumpet) and serpents (tuba) are welcomed. Also cornamuse and all the old "reedy" instruments.
I'm am thinking of  a PIANOTEQ like library(please see  their website).
I will try to create them with this version of brass and if i get there I will share them with the community.
All the best
Joannes

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines