March 19, 2024, 05:46:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Impossible to upgrade the firmware, and some suspect behaviour  (Read 6192 times)

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • lead vocalist for Alphataurus prog-rock band
Hello! I Just bought an used Origin desktop but I can't update its firmware: it's on version 1.2.5 and every time I try the update, it does correctly the backup of the memories, then (after rebooting the instrument) it hangs after a minute on the update phase with the typical "non critical DSP error" and then stops.
Then the Origin stops responding to commands and I have to reboot it.

I tried it with two PC's: an XP machine and a Win7 x64 one; no differences. Various different USB cables as well, all currently used with other devices sussessfully.

Origin Connection works fine if I use it as a sound librarian, so USB communication seems fine.
The log file shows this stuff (but not only):

[...]
Origin Update
Send Update info. Attempt number:0
Start sending the datas
Starting the Usb Update
Updating the USB chip firmware....
USB Update : Update Succeeded
Usb Update processed successfully
Starting the DSP Update
DSP Update failed with the error: TIME OUT: transfert canceled (error code: 9)
An error has occured during dsp update
FileManagerThread::ProcessManagePresetStructCmd() ERROR: cmd failed
Transfer Error
The Origin Update failed
[...]

Weird: USB update OK, then transfer error!

I also noticed a detail which gives me some strange doubts: at every boot, the Origin looses its basic settings, including the "user name" to be saved on programs but not only that: ALL parameters of the system settings come back to factory values at every boot.
No program or multi or sequence is lost.

Maybe the previous owner messed up with firmware updates? ::)

Note that the machine seems to work perfectly (on its old firmware version, that is), otherwise I wouldn't have bought it!  ;)
Audio is perfect, knobs are acting correctly, bright display etc.

I downloaded all the service files and tried to discover something useful; maybe I have a problem like the one explained in TechNote 04? Where are the files to be used for fixing that issue, i.e. the "Origin USB Patcher" application and "OriginUsbFix.iic"?
But the USB seems to work, when I save patches!

Should i check inside the machine for some jumper in a wrong position? :o

Does someone could explain me the trick of "pressing 1&2" as written on the "Diagnose Origin" PDF block diagram? ???

Please help!
Claudio "SerialSinger" Falcone

PS: I'm quite skilled in electronics and information technology, so I'll be glad to put my hands into the device if needed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:41:11 pm by SerialSinger »

tertior

Re: Impossible to upgrade the firmware, and some suspect behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:40:28 am »
Try Origin connection 1.25 and not 1.41  ::)  for upload .

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 02:08:04 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion! I just tried one minute ago; unfortunately you can't use an update file higher than 1.2.5 with that version of OC, so I tried to reflash v1.2.5 just in case, but I received an error about not being able to update "U2034 Flash memory"...  :-[

I also tried with OC version 1.3, either using update file 1.2.5 or higher; no improvements.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:31:32 pm by SerialSinger »

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:07:35 pm »
Situation after this afternoon:

I tried all versions of OC from 1.2 till the latest available, and all the firmware update files from 1.2.5 till the latest one. Nothing changed.

I also opened the device and visually checked everything; nothing strange, and the jumper for the USB EEPROM is still glued with silicon...
I checked the area around the U2034 flash memory chip, and it's clean like it was just released from the factory.  :-[

I tested intensively the MIDI communication via USB with the ORIGIN, using my PC's (yes, the same ones which won't allow me to update the firmware), and I never had a single problem.
I used Origin Connection for managing sound programs, and everything was always fine.

I read service documents, schematics, forum posts... and now I have a few questions:

1) should I try to reflash the USB firmware, even if it seems perfectly working for any other functions?
2) which are the contents of the U2034 flash memory chip, apart from the main firmware? Is it used also for patches, multi, system settings, whatever?
3) does anybody know how to use the keypads 0, 1, and 2 for "special functions", and which are these functions? How these could be used during the update procedure?
4) when the firmware update asks to reboot the Origin, do I have to click the OK button at the end of the boot (i.e. when the display asks me the "user name") or it's fine to do it *during* the boot phase, e.g. when the crowd picture appears, or exactly when???

I'm so frustrated for not being able to use the additional capabilities introduced by the latest releases of the Origin code!  :'(
I feel like having bought a Ferrari for the price of a bike, and not having the key for its fuel tank!  :D
I can solder, i can edit binary files, I can do many little things to try to solve this situation, if someone can suggest me what to do. I will try to reward who will give me the right directions, because I think that it should not be extremely necessary to send the instrument to Arturia...

I really hope that Philippe would find some time to read this thread! ;D

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:27:43 pm »
Latest (still bad) news:

I checked the external power supply and it provides the right voltage, so I excluded it from the list of possible causes of failure.

I tried to run the update on a third PC, with WIndows 2000 on it; no changes, i.e. OC works for sound saving and retrieving, Origin connects well thru USB for MIDI purposes, and so on... but no firmware upgrade (same messages and everything).

Still waiting to know form somebody what I exactly should do for the 0-1-2 keys trick, but in the meantime I just tried to boot the instrument while keeping all those keys pressed during the complete boot process, until I saw the "user name" request message. No changes again.

In case it could be useful for some tech guy here around, my unit's serial number is 508.

Now, some new questions:

- Is there a way to fully reset the DSP flash and/or force writing a firmware upgrade?
- is there a way to perform an upgrade which won't ask me to reboot the machine, in other words an upgrade which only writes the DSP flash and not the USB EEPROM?
- does anybody has better experiences using the Mac version of Origin Connection? Should I try to find a Mac for a new attempt?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:18:35 am by SerialSinger »

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:34:46 am »
SIGH!!! :'(

I tried the update process on a Mac: no differences. Same errors, same behaviour.

I'm on my knees. I'm going to prepare a requiest to Arturia Support.

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 02:22:50 pm »
While I (hopelessly?) wait for an answer from the Arturia support service, I discovered that there is a difference between my unit and the schematics in the area of the U2034 flash memory chip: "my" R2381 is a 0 Ohm jumper, while "on paper" it should be a 33K resistor.
What could this mean?

And PLEASE! Anyone knows how, why and when to use those bloody 0-1-2 keys?  ???

tertior

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 06:20:33 pm »
When you boot press 012 keys; try a install factory preset and not other preset.
If your Origin work well in 1.25 it's not material ?
And for finish call Arturia and ask Phillipe :-\

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 07:53:40 pm »
I cleaned up all user memory locations (programs, multi, seq) before running the upgrade; when I was asked to reboot, I turned on the unit while keeping 0-1-2 all pressed for the entire boot process, ignoring the request to enter the user name, then I continued the upgrade.
No changes: still locked in the same way as described above.

I'm waiting for a reply to a long series of email messages with the support team; they told me that one of the developer should contact me soon: maybe Philippe? Crossing my fingers...

fafax

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:24:41 pm »
I solve the problem upgrading first to 1.4 firmware.

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 06:28:03 pm »
I solve the problem upgrading first to 1.4 firmware.

Thanks! Tried it a few minutes ago, but no success...  :'(

But... I tried again after having installed the Origin Connection version 1.4 instead of the latest version, and I noticed a different dialog window that I never saw before! The program now asks me if I wish to install factory presets, and if I wish to make a backup of the user ones: this never happened to me before, since I installed OC version 1.4.1!!!
Now I can also see the progress of the USB update up to the end, and then the DSP update which stops at 0% as usual.

This is getting REAL CRAZY.

Origin developers, PLEASE HELP MEEEE!!!

d3x

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 04:00:15 pm »
Hello,

I see that you've had problems with your Origin some time ago.
I accidentally killed my Origin Desktop 3 weeks ago and desperately looking for a faulty one for parts.

I emailed arturia asking for the diagram but I didn't get it. So chances of repair are very low.

I was hoping to find a donor somewhere, but there is really no faulty ones on ebay or reverb.

Please let me know if you by any chance have a faulty unit and would like to sell it for parts or have access to the schematics.

Here or d3x AT wp.pl

Regards, Dex

SerialSinger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 07:51:09 pm »
There were some service documents somewhere here around in the forum; I can't remember the post but maybe you may search around.
I downloaded those PDF files a long time ago, but I might look for them on some old backups because I can't find them on my hard disks at the moment! :-(

My Origin is still here, stuck at OS version 1.2... It works anyway, so I won't give it away at the moment.

d3x

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 08:21:37 pm »
Found them! :) thanks a million.
Turns out that most likely when I connected up 12v instead of 6 I fried fuse MF-SM250 (2.5a @ 15Vmax) it went further down the PCB and took down UCC383TDTR-5. Max operating voltage for this regulator is 9V.

I do hope that it died as the last victim of this mistake and it stopped there :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines