March 29, 2024, 07:23:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Step Sequencer Directions  (Read 3815 times)

tomoe97

Step Sequencer Directions
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:53:39 am »
Origin's step sequencer runs fine in the usual directions (Forward, Backward, Forward/Backward), but I would like to do more complex things with the direction of my sequences.  Is there any way to make Origin's sequences run in Random order, Brownian mode (2/3 probability forward, 1/3 probability backward), or more advanced Pendulum modes a la Reason or genoQs Octopus (e.g., forward from first step to last, then backward from second last step to first without repeated last/first step when reversing direction)?  As fans of Klaus Schulze know well, these alternative modes can really help liven up a sequence and make it seem much more organic.

Any way to accomplish this with the current software version?  If not, please add it to the list of feature requests.  Force to Scale and keyboard entry of individual steps would also be immensely useful features.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:29:21 am by tomoe97 »

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
Re: Step Sequencer Directions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:33:41 pm »
  Force to Scale and keyboard entry of individual steps would also be immensely useful features.

i asked for that too.  keyboard entry is really a must have, but i think it's quite a lot of work

Philippe

Re: Step Sequencer Directions
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:27:38 am »
All these has been added to a "wish" list... which does not mean that they will all be implemented  ;)

Regarding the setting of a step value using a keyboard, the idea could be to define a reference key (eg C3). A note above the C3 would yield a positive semitone value, and a note lower than C3 a negative value. A more difficult point to solve is how this setting can be managed in the UI in a way not confusing for a user knowing that a midi NOTE ON is normally supposed to trigger a voice. We would have to process that kind of midi event according to a context (editing vs playing) which does not exist today.
Origin Lead  Developer

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines