March 28, 2024, 11:18:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to use the External Input  (Read 14571 times)

CJ216

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How to use the External Input
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:23:41 am »
Hello there,
The manual  of the ARP 2600V talks about the possibility to route an external audio signal into the Envelope follower to use it as a modulation source for the various destinations in the synth. It says:
"Try for example to insert an audio signal coming from a drum loop sample to the input of the
envelope follower."
How is this done? There's no forther information about this subject.If someone already made it,please provide the missing knowledge. I don't know how to route an audio signal from my sequencer track to the envelope followers input.
Next question:
There is the option of using it as an EFX plugin in an audio track. How should i plug the cables to at least hear something? And then,when i got so far,how can i play the synthesizer then,considering the fact,that it is not sitting in a midi track,which could be controlled by a keyboard, but an audio track. Is there a relation between Midi VSTs and FX Plugins of the ARP 2600V ?

Dooley

Re: How to use the External Input
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:39:51 am »
Since these boards are pretty dead I'll respond for what it's worth. I only have the demo of the Arp but I will try to do that tomorrow and see if I can help you. I'll try it in Reaper and Samplitude and see how it goes.

However, as far as routing audio to the synth, I think that has to do with the sequencer you are using, not the synth. Ask at the user forums for the sequencer you are using.

If you already know that part and are asking how to route the signal inside the Arp to the envelope follower, then I think you simply connect the "preamp out" jack to the envelope follower's "preamp in" jack. They are both at the top left of the synths interface with the envelope follower right below the preamp and next to the ring mod.

As I said I'll try it tomorrow and see if that is how it works.

When you use the Arp as an effect, then you can't use the same instance as a synth as far as I know. Insert another instance of the Arp on a midi track and use that as the synth. I'll also try using it that way as well and see if I can help you out.

CJ216

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:20:47 pm »
Hi Dooley...thanks for your response! I am working with Cubase SX3 and there is no option in the sequencer to route audio from a track to the synth besides the use as an effect in an insert slot of an audio channel.Simply because there is no representation of The Arps input jacks somewhere. I can only route midi to it,as this is the usual way to use a VST Instrument. So how does the Preamp Out Jack of the ARP "know",where it gets its input? There must be a way to choose this source...i don't know,if the sequencer defines it or the plugin itself. So i have still no idea.
For the other problem: How you say it,there will be no option to use an instance of the arp as an effect and at the same time control it over midi? So if i want to use it as an effect,i can't use my hardware controller to tweak the sounds?

Dooley

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:31:48 am »
Well, I was able to use it as an effect. You put it in the audio track like a normal effect (choruse, delay, etc.). The audio should then be available at the preamp out. As an example: If you want to route the audio through the Arp's VCF then you could connect the preamp out to one of the VCF's audio inputs (ring mod, vco1, vco2,vco3, or noise gen).

How you say it,there will be no option to use an instance of the arp as an effect and at the same time control it over midi? So if i want to use it as an effect,i can't use my hardware controller to tweak the sounds?

I mean playing musical notes with a midi keyboard and playing the normal synth sounds. If you mean using a hardware controller to control sliders or knobs, I think you should still be able to do that.

I tried to use the Arp as a synth on a midi track and tried to route an audio track to it but Reaper crashed every time I tried it. I'll try again tomorrow as I just thought of a couple of things I might try (placing an audio sample in the midi track, some sequencers can do this).

Update: I tried again and was unable to route audio to the Arp when using it as a synth.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:15:21 am by Dooley »

CJ216

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:06:59 pm »
OK my friend...i will ask a person who should have the knowledge to work this motherfucker out...i totally like the sound of the arp besides the fact that some presets kill my speakers with great booms and klacks when skipping...but arturia could at least make a better manual...i will tell here later,what my teacher at the sae school says about the routings of this synth...

jmage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 04:16:23 am »
HERE is the Essence of the problem! :P

When you use it as a VI, there is no way to route audio to it.

When you use it as a EFFECT, there is no way to route MIDI to it!

THIS is a serious problem (I am using digital performer) in an otherwise incredible synth.
Somebody PLEASE prove me wrong on this one.

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 11:39:15 pm »
      If there is no way to get midi to it if used as an effect on an audio track(I don't even have the thing here yet as I just ordered it) what about using automation to control things?  You won't be able to use midi controller knobs you'll have to draw it in.
Mac Pro 3.1,2x2.80 GHz. Intel Xeon Quad core 16GB RAM
2 OS drives: El Capitain 10.11.6\Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Ableton Live Suite 9.7.7\10.0.2
V collection 3, SparkLE 2.1, Beatstep

Roshi Ai

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.myspace.com/roshiai www.myspace.com/thesoulmadesystem
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 06:22:19 am »
Hi...as far as I know...it is possible to route midi to the plug-in when used as an effect.

In cubase...insert it as an effect. Then, if you want to automate the filter, choose a midi track...and set the output of that midi track to the ARP2600V...and you're all set...your sending midi to it.

Now...if you want to play the sounds of the ARP2600V by midi...then the procedure described above is not working.

For the ARP2600V to work as a synth...use it as an instrument.

Hope this answers your question.

Greetz,

Roshi.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:31:45 pm by Roshi Ai »

pete.buchwald

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 09:24:42 pm »
Here's how I did this in Logic. 

https://creative-audio-production.com/2016/05/31/arp-2600/

I also did a video about the Moog Modular, with external audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpLeyZqgpAo

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines