March 29, 2024, 02:48:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Voice architecture  (Read 4104 times)

drogoff

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Voice architecture
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:03:15 pm »
I thought I'd start a new topic thread for questions (and hopefully answers) about the Origin's voice/program/effects architecture.

I just read through the user guide (very nice!) and have this question:

For a program, can you have modules that are once-per-program, as opposed to once-per-note. The first, obvious, example for me is the ring-modulator in the CS80. No matter how many notes you play, there's only one ring-mod and associated e.g.  It is as if it's an effect, common to all notes played. How does the Origin do this?

The Clavia Nord Modular handles this by splitting a program into per-note section and a per-patch section.

David

Philippe

Re: Voice architecture
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:08:56 am »
Modules or a subset of available modules can be seen in 3 levels:
- the "TOP" level: AudioIn and Multi modules,
- the "PROGRAM" (sometimes called MONO) level, which is further divided into "modulation sources" modules and Effects:
    - modulation sources: Sequencer, Galaxy, Env2D, LFO1, LFO2,
    - Effects: Chorus, Delay, Reverb, DualPhaser, Distortion (firmware 1.0, more to come later)
- the "VOICE" (sometimes called POLY) level: Oscillators, Filters, RingMod, BodShift, etc...

In terms of connections between modules, you can connect the AudioIn outputs to any VOICE module audio inputs (firmware 1.0, will be extended in future upgrades), and any PROGRAM "sources" to any "VOICE" modulation inputs. And of course VOICE modules together.

The terms "MONO" and "POLY" may be confusing here because they could be understood as what we call the "Play Mode" which is an attribute of a Program that tells if you can play a chord (POLY play-mode) or a single note at a time (MONO play-mode).

"TOP" level module are created once and shared among the 4 programs.
"PROGRAM" level modules are created each time a Program preset is loaded.
"VOICE" level modules are created each time a new note is played (well, that's a simplified view but enough for our purpose)

When playing a "SINGLE" (ie a Program) preset, you may have - for instance - 1 Sequencer (with 3 tracks) and 1 Chorus, 1 Reverb and 1 Delay. Plus of course the Galaxy, the Env2D and the 2 MONO LFOs.

When playing a "MULTI" (ie 4 Programs) preset, then EACH program (ie slot of the multi) comes with its own 3 tracks-Sequencer, Effects, etc...

If you want to use the Nord Modular vocabulary, then an Origin "Patch" is the Nord "per-note" section, and the Origin "Program" is the Nord "per-patch" section.

Simple, isn't it  :)

PS: if we decide to provide a CS80 template, then an enhanced RingMod à-la CS80 would be available as a "PROGRAM" effect.

Origin Lead  Developer

Patrice

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:22:14 pm »
Thanks for this interesting clarifications.

Concerning the CS80, I'm stunned to read :
PS: if we decide to provide a CS80 template...
One of the reasons I bought the Origin was its ability to emulate the CS80.
As it is now clear that we can't really build a CS80 with just the given modules
(http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=2545.msg8420#msg8420),
I beg you not to let the CS80 template down.
Take the time needed to develop it, but don't let it down!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:25:30 pm by Patrice »

Patrice

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 03:25:25 pm »
Reading this topic again, I wonder which modules are to be placed in the Top level Multi Modules?

Philippe

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:01:09 pm »
Multi and AudioIN
Origin Lead  Developer

Patrice

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:14:41 pm »
Oh! OK. I had understood: AudioIn, on one side and "Multi modules" on the other side, and I was desperately looking for this kind of module  ???.
So the Multi Mixer constitutes a module. Well, it's a very particular one indeed, as it cannot be connected to the others (by the user, I mean).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:57:19 am by Patrice »

Philippe

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:47:17 am »
So the Multi Mixer constitutes a module. Well, it's a very particular one indeed, as it cannot be connected to the others (by the user, I mean)

Yes the Multi module is hardwired. But it has its own set of parameters that you can tweak in the MULTI page. By the way, the FX mixer is also a hardwired module. For instance you don't have to connect Voice Outputs to an input of the FX mixer, this is automatically done when you add an Output to a Voice.
Origin Lead  Developer

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines