April 26, 2024, 07:15:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Vangelis LFO Sweeps  (Read 4861 times)

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Vangelis LFO Sweeps
« on: September 20, 2008, 08:52:09 pm »
Wow... Not too much activity lately. Hope that's not a bad omen.

Anyhoo... I'm looking to create the kind of filter sweeps that Vangelis used to do -all- the time. It would be an LFO modulated filter and then the filter cutoff would be opened to create this swooshing sound. Sometimes the speed of the LFO would get faster as the filter opened up.

Are there presets in CS-80V that cover this? If not, can someone give some tips on re-creating this kind of sound. It's one of his trademarks... on everything from 'Albedo39' to Jon & Vangelis to BladeRunner to...

TIA,

---JC

omissis

Re: Vangelis LFO Sweeps
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:07:57 am »
Look for "touch response" on the bottom right of the CS80v panel, you'll find "pitch bend", and 'speed','vco' and 'vcf': these three controls do what you want......looking for Beaubourgish sounds?
Max

a CS-80Vist

nakedsoul

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:44:09 pm »
Hi there,

i am very new to music production and i try to create the Blade Runner Sound on the begin of Movie. I have look a Video there have a Guy create this Sound on a CS-70 and tell what settings he do, but i dont find this on my CS-80V. The Manual helped my sometimes, but i hope anyone here can help me too? Maybe some got a good UserPreset?

I am from Germany, so sorry for my beginner english.

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:31:26 pm »
Thanks,

I know about these controls. Frankly, I was looking for a list of presets that already exist that use these effects. What I'm after are the effects that are very typical in the Jon/Vangelis stuff and Heaven&Hell, etc... I know they heavily use the A/T. (Also Keith Emerson on the 'Works' record.)

Three issues:
1. I have vision problems and the CS80V controls are REALLY small. I have bitched about this forever. So I always look for presets whenever possible.

2. The preset system is <ahem> less than great... so I was wondering if you knew of some specific examples to save me the time. Sorry if that sounds 'lazy'.

3. I don't have a kybd with poly-at. I dunno how much that matters.

Can you help?

Thanks!

---JC

Look for "touch response" on the bottom right of the CS80v panel, you'll find "pitch bend", and 'speed','vco' and 'vcf': these three controls do what you want......looking for Beaubourgish sounds?

omissis

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »
Thanks,

I know about these controls. Frankly, I was looking for a list of presets that already exist that use these effects. What I'm after are the effects that are very typical in the Jon/Vangelis stuff and Heaven&Hell, etc... I know they heavily use the A/T. (Also Keith Emerson on the 'Works' record.)

Three issues:
1. I have vision problems and the CS80V controls are REALLY small. I have bitched about this forever. So I always look for presets whenever possible.

2. The preset system is <ahem> less than great... so I was wondering if you knew of some specific examples to save me the time. Sorry if that sounds 'lazy'.

3. I don't have a kybd with poly-at. I dunno how much that matters.

Can you help?

Thanks!

---JC

Suntower
I'm sorry but, at least for the moment, you have to live with the small controls  :-[  : if you want to use a CS-80V like a CS-80 you must  use these controls live, as I remeber they're not saved together with the patch, and it couldn't ever be: they are "performance controllers" and are intended for live use.

Patch management is one of the sadly never adjusted things into the CS80V, personally I do the sounds live, on the real CS-80 you could save only 4 patches and couldn't use the main panel unless you selected "panel"  ;)

About Aftertouch I wouldn't worry this much if you're just looking for vibrato: the CS-80 and the CS-80V have a monophonic sub-oscillator so in the vibrato concern you can send only channel aftertouch; volume and brilliance are a different matter: if you don't have a poly a\t keyboard and want to achieve the same expressivity you should try to play it one note at the time
(btw, Vangelis seldom used the poly aftertouch, basically on the usual BRASS1+BRASS2 combination, and just to underline monophonic passages: you can try to stack two instances of the CS-80V and assign the same identical sounds to different zones , if your master keyboard can support separate aftertouch per zone, otherwise you must record a specific track with mono playing   ::) )
Max
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines