March 29, 2024, 11:28:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: AF Experience does not send parameter settings to midi keyboard  (Read 3839 times)

timmytobias

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi,

It appears that when AF is running as a VSTi in Cubase 4 on Windows XP the parameter settings for any newly selected preset are not sent to the AF Experience keyboard.  This means whenever a parameter control is moved on the midi keyboard it jumps to a central position rather than moving from its preset position.

Is this an issue with the software (I've seen a few other mentions of it on this forum without solution) or is it some setting I've overlooked in Cubase?

Does anyone know how to get this working?

Thanks,

Paul

timmytobias

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: AF Experience does not send parameter settings to midi keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:42:05 pm »
OK, can someone at least tell me if this works for them?
Or is this a software issue, am I wasting my time trying to find a way of making it work?

timmytobias

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:11:14 pm »
I tried the VSTi in Ableton Live and the parameters also jump when moving a pot on the Experience controller keyboard.  It certainly seems to be a problem with the VST, can anyone confirm this?

Is there a setting that we need to make to get Cubase/Live to return the parameter settings?

So far the big hardware and software selling point seems to be a bit misleading if the software doesn't communicate with the hardware unless you are running the standalone version.

standalone

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:44 pm »
Sorry for the stupid question , but have you register AF as a midi device in Cubase's devices-menu ?

timmytobias

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:45:52 am »
Yes, the keyboard works fine as far as any other midi keyboard would and all the keys and pots control the right things, its just that Cubase (and Live for that matter) does not update the keyboard with the default positions for each of the pots for the chosen AF preset. 

In the device set-up in Cubase you can set both input and output, now I would assume that if the keyboard is to receive details of the AF preset default parameter positions, then you should be able to mark it to output this information here, like any other remote device that accepts feedback, but you can't which makes me think this is a software issue.

When using AF as a standalone app it has fancy ghosting of where the ADSR sliders are, this is not in the VST.  It just seems that the keyboard does not sync with the software when its run as a VST, the keyboard behaves just like any other run-of-the-mill MIDI keyboard (that happens to have exactly the same pots and buttons  :)).

standalone

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 08:47:44 am »
Oh , I understand now . I don't know much about the midi standard , I don't know if sending this kind of continuous information is part of it , in fact that's the behavior I am used to ! . I think that's part of the system-exclusive messages that midi devices use for their own . Cubase has ways to deal with those , please read page 391 of Cubase's operation manual .
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:17:12 pm by standalone »

Antoine

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:37:03 pm »
This unwanted behavior is "already" corrected in the upcoming Analog Factory update (no release date yet).
ex-Arturian

timmytobias

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:47:45 pm »
Thanks for the info :) I look forward to the update.

timmytobias

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:17:43 pm »
Hi,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've just installed the latest 2.2.1 release of Analogue Factory and the problem still exists.

Is there any special configuration settings I need to make outside the normal MIDI configuration in Cubase?

Thanks,

Paul

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines