April 24, 2024, 07:53:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: NOVATION Remote SL -- A Good Controller for the CS-80V?  (Read 7549 times)

Naive Teen Idol

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
NOVATION Remote SL -- A Good Controller for the CS-80V?
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:06:36 pm »
So, I'm thinking of buying a NOVATION Remote 25 SL.  I've used my UC-33e for a long time, mapping three different templates (the two voices and performance controls) but absent a screen, it's hard to remember what controls what.  This has an LCD screen that tells you what every parameter is.

Has anyone used this for the CS-80V?

omissis

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 06:54:23 pm »
Hm, a CS80 should be played like a CS80 with poly aftertouch, velocity and all that, is budget a factor in this? If the answer is no look at

http://www.infiniteresponse.com/

VAX77, poly afetrtouch and portable keyboard
Max

a CS-80Vist

Naive Teen Idol

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:13:10 pm »
When is budget NOT a factor, Max?   :wink:

That looks like a great controller.  Two thoughts:

1) Ableton Live is my DAW -- and unless I'm mistaken about 7.0, it still doesn't support polyaftertouch.  And yes: boo to that.

2) One of the reasons I am looking at the Novation is that it has automap functionality with a long LCD screen which says what every parameter is.  One of my frustrations with the CS-80V has been the haphazard nature of MIDI control -- the CS-80V has a lot of parameters and even if I map them out on my UC-33e, I have to use three different pages/templates to capture them all.  Now, that won't change on the Novation, which doesn't have more controls -- rather, the difference is that with a LCD screen, I'll know what those parameters are.  Plus, the new software has a transparent GUI that you can pull up on your computer monitor that shows a virtual representation of the whole controller with parameter names next to each knob/slider/button.

On top of that, the box comes with a CS-80V template.

omissis

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:48 pm »
Oh, well, simply didn't know of a preset mapping for the CS80V within the Novation.... :oops:  sorry!
PS: you're right about the budget having a role with project studios and small live gigs, anyway I'll dream just a little more on that polyat controller! :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

Naive Teen Idol

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:43:42 am »
No, no -- I appreciate the suggestion!  I was just saying why I would even consider something without polyaftertouch -- my DAW doesn't record it.

Incidentally, you don't imagine the Novation's X/Y touchpad would sub as a ribbon controller do you?  I would imagine that touchpads would work continuously -- but wouldn't do multitouch-type trills.

slammah2012

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 02:19:30 am »
Quote from: "Naive Teen Idol"
No, no -- I appreciate the suggestion!  I was just saying why I would even consider something without polyaftertouch -- my DAW doesn't record it.

Incidentally, you don't imagine the Novation's X/Y touchpad would sub as a ribbon controller do you?  I would imagine that touchpads would work continuously -- but wouldn't do multitouch-type trills.

Your daw should automatically record it unless you have it filtered....polyAT is like a mod wheel.....It will all get recorded unless you disable it by filtering.......

omissis

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:10:53 pm »

Hm, it depends on two things: is the touchpad onboars the Novation a fixed center one or is it center relative (place your finger where you want= center? )?
And, about trills, did arturia solve the bug of the pitch controller that prevented the trills? I mean, when I used to play more with the CS80V, to have a trill with a ribbon wasn't satisfying for me, as the pitch glided audibly...don't know if they ever fixed this; on the original you could make trills with two fingers: the first finger was steady (had the 0) while tapping with the other made the trill with no glide; anyway it surely will be fixed one day, I wish so   :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

slammah2012

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 04:55:18 am »
Quote from: "omissis"

Hm, it depends on two things: is the touchpad onboars the Novation a fixed center one or is it center relative (place your finger where you want= center? )?
And, about trills, did arturia solve the bug of the pitch controller that prevented the trills? I mean, when I used to play more with the CS80V, to have a trill with a ribbon wasn't satisfying for me, as the pitch glided audibly...don't know if they ever fixed this; on the original you could make trills with two fingers: the first finger was steady (had the 0) while tapping with the other made the trill with no glide; anyway it surely will be fixed one day, I wish so   :wink:

That is why I use the touch screen Max.... :)
the first finger places the centering finger on the CS80V ribbon and the second touch places a cursor at the mid point of the 2 fingers ...I just have to make my trill a larger interval than the expected result which is easy on a 15 inch screen...

thumky

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: NOVATION Remote SL -- A Good Controller for the CS-80V?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:21:30 pm »
Looks like an old thread.  But if anyone is interested, i just setup the Novation SL to work with CS-80V ( plus the JupiterV and TimeWARP 2600 ).  It took quite awhile.  I'm not a fan of the "AutoMap" feature it just assigns the controls to any old parameter: what should be a button is mapped to a slider or vice versa, plus there's no overall logic.  ( it justs makes the assignments sequentially).  I don't think the templates that came with mine are that good either, so i just made up my own.

The Novation seems okay otherwise.  My only other compliant is the poor support for accelerated pots, encoders or sliders.  When mapped to TimeWARP some of the parameters like Attack and LFO speed jump way up when you make a tiny change making some parameters impossible to control.  I had to bypass the Novation software and use the built in Accelerator support of the Midi Assignments in the plugin.  This is less of a problem with CS-80V.

If anyone wants to compare notes on this stuff drop me a line.  IMO these plugins are useless without good controls.  But with good controls the creative possibilities are mind blowing!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines