April 19, 2024, 07:00:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: As good as the software?  (Read 13185 times)

weaponEX

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaponexmusic
As good as the software?
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:16:18 pm »
Can the Origin be used like a hardware version of all these softsynths? Is there any advantage to having the software instrument versions (+computer ) over the single hardware version?
This sounds like a stupid question, but I only ask because I've heard almost no demo sounds from the Origin. Among the onboard sound design utensils, which include all (all?) the V-collection VSTs as modules, is this unit the sum of all these parts and more? Or is super fine patch editing limited to just the computer?

BEN

Antoine

As good as the software?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »
Our software synthesizers are as-faithful-as-possible reproductions of the analogue classics monsters we so much appreciate.

Origin is a digital modular synthesizer, which is also embedding "templates" intended to reproduce complete synths: MiniMg, ARP-2600, CS-80, and so on...
Don't know exactly which ones will be present with firmware version 1.0 and which ones to follow on further updates, but you'll be able to load and play these complete templates, or rebuild these synths from scratch and interchange some modules with others...

So, not really the same goal.

Are you an ARP-2600/CS-80/MgModular/MiniMg/Prophet5/Jupiter8 addict?
Then the V-Collection is your best partner!

Do you excogitate only in terms of synthesis modules?
Trip in the guts of the Origin!
ex-Arturian

DeFrigge

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
As good as the software?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:29:41 pm »
Does this mean the software is closer to the original sounds than the Origin templates will be?

I have no problems with the latter (modular flexibility) concept and am sure it will sound great for its own sake. But I just happen to be one of those 'vintage fans' who seek to get sounds as close as possible to the originals. That's why I ask...

slammah2012

As good as the software?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:23:34 am »
Quote from: "Antoine"
Our software synthesizers are as-faithful-as-possible reproductions of the analogue classics monsters we so much appreciate.

Origin is a digital modular synthesizer, which is also embedding "templates" intended to reproduce complete synths: MiniMg, ARP-2600, CS-80, and so on...
Don't know exactly which ones will be present with firmware version 1.0 and which ones to follow on further updates, but you'll be able to load and play these complete templates, or rebuild these synths from scratch and interchange some modules with others...

So, not really the same goal.

Are you an ARP-2600/CS-80/MgModular/MiniMg/Prophet5/Jupiter8 addict?
Then the V-Collection is your best partner!

Do you excogitate only in terms of synthesis modules?
Trip in the guts of the Origin!

I want a "CS80" clone for Live......so I can retire my Yamaha CS80 from live shows... does the Origin do this or not???
Does it support Polyphonic aftertouch or not.........
if not,
Give the Arturia CS80v licence Code back to the MUSE Receptor people....
problem solved......

Pip

• http://www.thebabybuddahs.co.uk
As good as the software?
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:15:59 am »
My understanding is the only likely "template" on release will be the mini - this seems a very strange decsion, as if I've understood it, you have all the componenets of the synth(s) available. IMOP this will slow down initial sales unless the sounset is utterly fantastic a rare achievement with the initail presets of any machine.

I'm also amazed that even Origin don't now what templates will be available on release or when we will get them :roll:
Later
pip pip pip ... piiip piiip piiiip ... pip pip pip

slammah2012

As good as the software?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 03:20:06 pm »
Quote from: Pip
My understanding is the only likely "template" on release will be the mini - this seems a very strange decsion, as if I've understood it, you have all the componenets of the synth(s) available. IMOP this will slow down initial sales unless the sounset is utterly fantastic a rare achievement with the initail presets of any machine.

I'm also amazed that even Origin don't now what templates will be available on release or when we will get them :roll:

What they have shown in vids so far does not confirm what Vincent has told me....
That the Origin responds to Polyphonic Aftertouch......That is a must for me....the CS80 V does ..........I have asked for a pdf manual to view the claim but none are available.
The Arturia soft synths used to be licenced to work on the Muse Receptor giving live capabilities to Receptor purchacers, but Arturia pulled their plugins from the Receptor capable roster forcing all live use to either unreliable laptops, or the Origin......
I would prefer the Origin because of the multi outputs and control surface, but would also like the Muse for the plugins like AAS string studio.....
The Arp2600  Ringmod module, that is the only building block for RM on Arturia's list, does not have the components of the CS80 Ring Mod.....
Where is the info on Glissando vs Portamento.....Sustain types I/II...
the ADR Filter EG....
since Arturia's initial info release on the Origin, I have bought a Yamaha  MM6, a CreamWare ASB B4000 and ASB Prodyssey.... I have even helped SonicCore with Beta testing to further my Creamware purchases to the next level......
I don't get the responses Quick enough for my liking here.....
I asked for the confirmations of CS80 claims months ago....
Here is my live rig with the CS80 still intact.....

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:19:22 am by slammah2012 »

DeFrigge

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
As good as the software?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 02:38:12 pm »
Wow, a real CS80! But you don't carry it around to gigs, do you???

slammah2012

As good as the software?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:31:27 am »
Quote from: "DeFrigge"
Wow, a real CS80! But you don't carry it around to gigs, do you???

Yes I do actually... thus the handles on the ends...... This is my live rig  this time around....I would have loved if the Origin shed a few more pounds in CSweighty....

Pip

• http://www.thebabybuddahs.co.uk
As good as the software?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:14:40 am »
Slammah - so you would rate the software emulation of the CS80 good enough to replace your hardware for gigging purposes?

PS Nice rig
Later
pip pip pip ... piiip piiip piiiip ... pip pip pip

slammah2012

As good as the software?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 02:20:49 pm »
Quote from: "Pip"
Slammah - so you would rate the software emulation of the CS80 good enough to replace your hardware for gigging purposes?

PS Nice rig

1....If I could limit the Controller amounts of the Arturia CS80V so they don't exceed the Original Ranges....(Ring mod for example -0 to 100 on controller could be limited to controlling to 0 - 87% of the depth speed.....)
2....If I could raise the sub osc rate to go beyond the 1khz mark using Speed at "full aftertouch"......
3....If the portamento acting under Sustain I/II act the same way as on the CS80...........

the answer would be ....Yes........
but for now,I can't repeat the solo example here as it is on the Original....
for the same reasons........
http://audio.xanga.com/slammah/d533e1038642/audio.html

Philippe

As good as the software?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 06:12:06 pm »
Yes, Origin will manage the polyphonic (per voice) aftertouch but not necessarily in the 1st release because we first have to get our hands on a keyboard with that feature to test it.... And also, there are so many things to check and double check on this machine that the voice aftertouch is - honestly - not the top priority feature to release first :)
About templates: release 1.0 will include a MiniMg template. As I answered to another post, the following template will likely be the ARP2600 and be a part of - hopefully - the first major firmware update planned sometime before the end of 2008. We're also investigating on a Jupiter8 and a CS80 template for a later release. Some of you may feel that these delays are lengthy. The reason is for us a template is not simply an Origin preset with a dedicated GUI. We really try hard to reproduce the original sound and it takes time. As far as I can see looking at the feedbacks from our own sound designer within Arturia the sound of this template is really good. As is the sound of the machine in general, it has been qualified as "awesome" by external sound designers currently designing presets for the first release.
Finally, why a MiniMg template first? Honestly, because it was the easiest (or the less difficult...) to provide with a release falling in may.
Origin Lead  Developer

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
As good as the software?
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 06:58:55 pm »
thanx for the news phil

slammah2012

As good as the software?
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »
Quote from: "philwick"
Yes, Origin will manage the polyphonic (per voice) aftertouch but not necessarily in the 1st release because we first have to get our hands on a keyboard with that feature to test it.... And also, there are so many things to check and double check on this machine that the voice aftertouch is - honestly - not the top priority feature to release first :)
About templates: release 1.0 will include a MiniMg template. As I answered to another post, the following template will likely be the ARP2600 and be a part of - hopefully - the first major firmware update planned sometime before the end of 2008. We're also investigating on a Jupiter8 and a CS80 template for a later release. Some of you may feel that these delays are lengthy. The reason is for us a template is not simply an Origin preset with a dedicated GUI. We really try hard to reproduce the original sound and it takes time. As far as I can see looking at the feedbacks from our own sound designer within Arturia the sound of this template is really good. As is the sound of the machine in general, it has been qualified as "awesome" by external sound designers currently designing presets for the first release.
Finally, why a MiniMg template first? Honestly, because it was the easiest (or the less difficult...) to provide with a release falling in may.

That is a strange decision....
Given the fact that
"Mg" and "SonicCore" have the MiniMg covered in hardware form....

Wouldn't it be smarter to hold back on the release date before the initial reaction of "what did I get for all that money" kicks in??
the SonicCore MiniMax ASB costs around $700 US.....The ARP version"prodyssey"costs around $1200.....
No one has a Hardware CS80.........I would have played that card first...

Philippe

As good as the software?
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 09:39:35 am »
Quote from: "slammah2012"

That is a strange decision....
Given the fact that
"Mg" and "SonicCore" have the MiniMg covered in hardware form....

Wouldn't it be smarter to hold back on the release date before the initial reaction of "what did I get for all that money" kicks in??
the SonicCore MiniMax ASB costs around $700 US.....The ARP version"prodyssey"costs around $1200.....
No one has a Hardware CS80.........I would have played that card first...

Not so strange.... The CS80 is the most difficult template to develop. Choosing this one would have meant a release date around november 2008 and we feel here at Arturia that we have to release Origin as soon as possible because people have been waiting so long now. Once again, "as soon as possible" means when Origin is a reliable machine.
Origin Lead  Developer

omissis

As good as the software?
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:38:07 pm »
Quote from: "philwick"
. We really try hard to reproduce the original sound and it takes time.

I'm avaliable to assist you for Mr. 80, if you need help.
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines