March 28, 2024, 01:59:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Some Questions For The Arturia Team  (Read 6757 times)

Bernard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Some Questions For The Arturia Team
« on: October 09, 2007, 09:33:11 pm »
Hello Arturia,

Thank you for developing the Origin. Some questions:

1 - LFO Speed (max 20Hz) - Will the modular structure of the origin allow a sound designer to use a spare oscillator module to go above 20Hz to match Yamaha CS series 50Hz, Roland's 100Hz LFO speeds and beyond?

2 - Envelopes (can be fast) - How fast, 1msecs?

3 - Headsets (2 separate outputs for Headsets mentioned in the control section of the guided tour) (1 Headset output mentioned on the Connectivity section of guided tour) - Is that a misprint or is there a shared output on the rest of the outputs for a second Headset?

4 - 32 Voices Polyphony for a typical patch - As we have one patch per program and up to four programs in a multi, does this mean we can have up to four times the polyphony for a four patch multi or does it stay the same or drop lower?

5 - 3 Effects - Is this per patch (up to 12 Effects per multi) or per Origin unit (only three Effects for all sounds on one Origin)?

6 - 1 Sequencer (with 3 sub sequences) - Is this per patch (up to 4 Sequencers per multi) or per Origin unit (only one Sequencer for all sounds on one Origin unit)?

7 - Processor Power (24/96 Sound quality) - Other modular Hardware/Software synths have quickly run out of processor power for complex patches. Given you have set the sound quality to 24/96, is there still enough processor power left to allow sound design freedom or are you pushing limits on complex patches?

8 - No Vocoder - Is one planned in the future?

Best Regards

Bernard  8)

Kappa

• Beta-testers
  • Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:16:52 pm »
1 - LFO Speed (max 20Hz) - Will the modular structure of the origin allow a sound designer to use a spare oscillator module to go above 20Hz to match Yamaha CS series 50Hz, Roland's 100Hz LFO speeds and beyond?

For now the max frequency for the LFO is 50 Hz, but this may change before the release.

2 - Envelopes (can be fast) - How fast, 1msecs?

Indeed, for now they have a minimum rise time of 1msec but it's not final...the final values like lfo speed, envelope times, max cutoff frequency , etc. are not final yet

3 - Headsets (2 separate outputs for Headsets mentioned in the control section of the guided tour) (1 Headset output mentioned on the Connectivity section of guided tour) - Is that a misprint or is there a shared output on the rest of the outputs for a second Headset?

I'm not sure where you saw this but I guess it's a misprint, there is one phones out, two master outs(all four progs mixed toghether) and eight aux outputs(two per part), there are photos with Origin's back where you can see the I/O configuration

4 - 32 Voices Polyphony for a typical patch - As we have one patch per program and up to four programs in a multi, does this mean we can have up to four times the polyphony for a four patch multi or does it stay the same or drop lower?

32 voices of polyphony per patch means a single patch could play up to 32 voices ALONE, so if you have patches loaded on all four parts you will be sharing this polyphony between all four patches...the polyphony may also drop if using more complex patches, actually it's calculated in real time, so if none of the DSPs can process a new voice, the voice with the smallest amplitude (the least loud voice) will be killed

5 - 3 Effects - Is this per patch (up to 12 Effects per multi) or per Origin unit (only three Effects for all sounds on one Origin)?

3 effects per part = 12 effects in all, the limits being you can only have one delay and one reverb per patch...which is pretty normal anyway

6 - 1 Sequencer (with 3 sub sequences) - Is this per patch (up to 4 Sequencers per multi) or per Origin unit (only one Sequencer for all sounds on one Origin unit)?

one sequencer per part

7 - Processor Power (24/96 Sound quality) - Other modular Hardware/Software synths have quickly run out of processor power for complex patches. Given you have set the sound quality to 24/96, is there still enough processor power left to allow sound design freedom or are you pushing limits on complex patches?

I think you would be pushing the limits...but you could try whatever patch you want and see what it's limits are....

8 - No Vocoder - Is one planned in the future?

not yet but we would like to make one in the future

hope this clarifies you and any one else who's interested
Arturia
Audio Lib

Bernard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:12:37 pm »
Dear Kappa,

Thank you for your reply. Just on question 6, I am still a little unsure as below.

1,2, This may interest you:

http://www.sequencer.de/specials/fast-LFO-synthesizer.html

3, On:

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/origin/guided-tour/control.html

In the first 'FLASH Player Image' of the Origin, move your mouse over the far left volume controls. The misprint comes up in the box below (last sentence).

4, Thanks for the detail.

5, Yahoo, that is great! Make sure this is highlighted in future, it may sell more Origins. On many Forums people moan about a lack of simultaneous effects on Hardware synths.

6, To be absolutely clear, I think you are saying the Origin can run up to 4 separate sequencers (with 3 sub sequencers each) one for each of the four parts? Certainly sounds like that in the audio demo.

7, I guess some examples may help later when time allows the Arturia Team.

8, Great news, I hope this becomes a reality in future.

Best Regards

Bernard  8)

PS Does this mean Japanese visitors need to take care on this forum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)

:mrgreen:

Kappa

• Beta-testers
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 09:16:19 pm »
Hey Bernard,

1,2 Thank you very much for the link, it is very interesting to read and the links it contains lead to sites that are going to be useful and instructive for me personally as I was just starting to ask myself these very questions: what are the habitual values for different modules controls'? I am sort of a newbie to synth making so I'm really thankful for this type of info.

3. I saw it it's a misprint, I think it should have read: " it offers a SECOND separate CONTROL for the headset output ..."

4. No prob!

5.&6. There are 3 effects and  one sequencer(with three subsequences each) per part/synth/patch/timbre(or however else you want to call it, there are four of them on Origin :lol: ). You're right, it should be better explained as it actually means that Origin contains 4 "complete" synths...

7. We'll get to that also hopefully, for now we're doing the last few developments before starting the beta testing so we're all very busy.

8. Me too, but the odds are on our side ;)

Thanks for the links ;p and no  :lol: there's no danger for anyone from me  :)

Cheers
Arturia
Audio Lib

slammah2012

Re: Some Questions For The Arturia Team
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:17:32 am »
Quote from: "Bernard"
Hello Arturia,

Thank you for developing the Origin. Some questions:

Bernard  8)

1 - LFO Speed (max 20Hz)WHAT??? - Will the modular structure of the origin allow a sound designer to use a spare oscillator module to go above 20Hz to match Yamaha CS series 50Hz, .............

Firstly.... If you own a CS80 you will find that the "Sub osc" or LFO rate can reach speeds greater than 1khz "if" the speed is on full 50hzand Aftertouch is applied to control the Sub osc speed above the initial 50hz setting.....
I certainly need confirmation that the CS80 portion of the origin can reach these speeds before I retire my Yamaha from live use.....

If it doesn't reach these FM speeds, and doesnt respond to polyphonic aftertouch as I have heard "it does", I won't be buying one....

Bernard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:25:50 pm »
Quote:

''Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic
.''

Yes automated admin overlord, but due to the loving care with which the Arturia team have built the origin, this delay is amply justified  ;D

Dear Arturia Team

Question 1 - We have noticed a major change? :

''44,1, 48 kHz''

The demo's sound fantastic, so just wondering why, not complaining  :D

Question 2 - As before your new spec page:

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/origin/specs21.html

May be sending the wrong message, I assume one programme can do this:

''Synth (modular structure):

up to 9 oscillators (including analog emulations from the MiniMg, ARP 2600, CS-80, JP8, ProV, noise modules);
up to 4 wavetables oscillators; 
up to 4 filters (switchable multimode filters including analog emulations 1, 2 & 4-poles LP, HP, BP and Notch modes); 
up to 4 output VCAs;
up to 5 mixers (5 "Minimixer" and 1 "Joystick mixer");
1 RingMod;
2 faders
1 BodShifter, 
up to 4 poly LFO and 2 mono LFO mono;
up to 8 ADSR Envelopes modules;
1 Galaxy module;
1 2D envelope. 
MiniMg template:

up to 3 oscillators; one 4-poles LP resonant filter, one mixer; 
2 envelopes; one LFO and one modulation matrix. ''

As there are four programmes, it is worth emphasizing it is actually four of the above if so? ;)

slammah2012

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:06:22 pm »
When is the CS80 Template being added?....
again ...Polyphonic Aftertouch....
once more ...LFO speed should reach FM speeds around 1khz.....

Bernard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 05:57:52 pm »

Specs now show:

Operating sampling frequency 44,1 kHz

slammah2012

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 03:58:39 am »
Dear Kappa,

Thank you for your reply. Just on question 6, I am still a little unsure as below.

1,2, This may interest you: Bernard.... this is wrong....the CS80 can reach  over 800 cycles on the LFO......I Know ...I have one.....
http://www.sequencer.de/specials/fast-LFO-synthesizer.html

3, On:

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/origin/guided-tour/control.html

In the first 'FLASH Player Image' of the Origin, move your mouse over the far left volume controls. The misprint comes up in the box below (last sentence).

4, Thanks for the detail.

5, Yahoo, that is great! Make sure this is highlighted in future, it may sell more Origins. On many Forums people moan about a lack of simultaneous effects on Hardware synths.

6, To be absolutely clear, I think you are saying the Origin can run up to 4 separate sequencers (with 3 sub sequencers each) one for each of the four parts? Certainly sounds like that in the audio demo.

7, I guess some examples may help later when time allows the Arturia Team.

8, Great news, I hope this becomes a reality in future.

Best Regards

Bernard  8)

PS Does this mean Japanese visitors need to take care on this forum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)

:mrgreen:

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines