News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Demo  (Read 15994 times)

Gramarye

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:25:08 pm »
I noticed that a demo of J8 is supposedly available, but when I click on the link, it wants to log me onto the ftp site and requests user and password.  Current i.d. doesn't work.  I assume this is 'new demo download routing' problems (or at least hope that's all it is), but it's like looking in the window at the candy store and the store ain't open !!
Anybody got any ideas?
Peace.

Dave

Gramarye

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:37 pm »
Never mind - persistance paid off.  After re-entering user & password 4 times I got the link.  This is gonna be cool. Gotta go play now.
Peace,

Dave

afewster

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:45:20 am »
Is the CPU saturation evident only in the demo, or should we expect to see this in the final build?

semtek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 01:21:13 am »
1. Massive props to Arturia for making the demo available without dongle authorization. It is great to be able to try this properly, and makes me MUCH more likely to reach for my credit card (I have already started writing with it, so it's essential now, you see)

2. Sounds AMAZING at both low and high end.

3. As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, cpu usage seems high (tho understandable). I managed 3 instances with total of 18 voices between them before max out: intel core duo 2ghz macbook, 2gb ram, osx 10.4.9, buffer size 512.

4. The AU version crashed Ableton Live when I tried to edit the effects section, and there is a bug when you open the fx/patch/galaxy window.

5. When max out occured, using the VST version, there were hanging notes left on 2 of the instances.

6. The filter response seems to be unstable at times when using the bass celm preset - get a couple of clicks even when resonance is 0.

Otherwise, so far, I love it.

wintersun

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 03:01:08 pm »
Ive tried it extensively and its pretty good, but i dont think i'll be retiring my trusty 8A just yet somehow, i suppose the width and warmth are something you can only ever get out of real voltage controlled circuits.

Having said that, its really good for the bread and butter jupiter sounds.
So i'll still be buying.

Sweep

Demo
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 10:34:13 pm »
The CPU useage issue seems a bit strange:

I've been using the demo as a VST - I can't get it to work at all as a standalone. It comes up, but it's so slow it's almost at crash point. I did manage to access the preferences menu and allocate my sound card to it this morning and get a couple of notes, but it won't do that now.

In VST mode I started to get the CPU useage problems, and I did a few experiments -

The first weird thing was that the useage went above 100%.  I got over 900% at a couple of points.

The second weird thing was that although CPU useage relates to demand on the software, as you'd expect, it isn't entirely consistent. I managed to get an arpeggio running with several instances of the onboard effects - high demand things like echo and reverb, with no problems at all (and it sounded pretty good, BTW). But less CPU intensive things caused it to seize up. At one point just moving one of the filter sliders caused it to seize, though this worked perfectly at other times. I don't think that was connected with the number of active voices or anything else demanding, either.

But those percentages are what amazes me most. :D

BTW this is on a PC running Windows XP. The same PC runs other Arturia software including the MMV. The only Arturia software that's ever crashed is the MiniMg V, due to a problem that I resolved, so that doesn't count, and the MMV, which has only crashed once, when I tried something that you can't really do in software. So these CPU demands from the Jupiter seem odd in view of that.

JWaltman

Demo
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 10:20:08 am »
on my machine, dual G5, AU hosted in logic 7.2.1 the cpu meter doesn't work at all, just sticks at 0%..

it works in the standalone though..

semtek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 02:50:52 pm »
Quote from: "JWaltman"
on my machine, dual G5, AU hosted in logic 7.2.1 the cpu meter doesn't work at all, just sticks at 0%..

it works in the standalone though..

I also had the same issue with the AU, but not the VST.

semtek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 06:13:23 pm »
Also just noticed a strange bug in logic:

when you click on the jupiter window, logic stops responding to key commands, or anything else from the keyboard.

when you click in the sequencer again it goes back to normal.

it's not true of the other plug ins i checked - strange...

JWaltman

Demo
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 09:16:01 am »
some plugins have this behaviour.. its a choice one can make..

Gavin

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 02:03:22 pm »
Hi guys,
Thanks for the feedback.
We are aware of the bug in Logic with the cpu meter. We are currently working on this, it has to do with some of the timer threads running into problems, which is also causing a problem with the visual feedback of the sequencer and the galaxy.
I'll post here when we have a new demo version available, should be sometime tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
Gavin@Arturia

semtek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
Quote from: "JWaltman"
some plugins have this behaviour.. its a choice one can make..

is it a choice the user can make, or is it just a choice that is made during development? none of my other plugs seem to demonstrate this bug, and though minor, it's annoying if you have to click in the sequencer to start it every time you've used Jv (you can't just press space for the above reason)...

JWaltman

Demo
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 04:53:17 pm »
Developer's choice.. I remeber some of the plugz I use have this behaviour.. and yes..it annoys the hell out of me too ;)

or choice, could be they forgot to implement something that corrects this behaviour :)

Sweep

Demo
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 02:05:35 am »
Version 1.02, under Windows XP:

VST version runs fine - this is under VSTHost, but not in a sequencer program as I don't use those. Tried to crash it by overloading the CPU with long release times and extensive keyboard work, and by using the onboard effects heavily, but it survived that.

Still problems with standalone verison, though. Took ages to load the first time. A bit quicker later, but still ridiculously slow. Unable to use. Seizes up. Tried to access the MIDI and audio preferences menu but was unable as the software seized when I tried that. This seizing happened on about four occasions, and on each occasion I had to turn off the power to the PC as I couldn't get out any other way. The last time I didn't try the keyboard and went straight for the preferences menu. It still seized, but I was able to exit the program using control+alt+delete.

rovermark

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Demo stand alone versions not responding to MIDI
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 07:05:50 am »
Is there anyone else who can't get the demo of the Jupiter-8V to respont to midi input? I downloaded the 1.0 demo and it didn't respond to MIDI. I figured there was a bug. Sure enough Arturia released demo 1.02. I downloaded it and still no luck.

I'm trying to use a M-Audio O2 with a dual PowerMac G5 2.5 Ghz machine with 8G ram and/or a 2.0Ghz Intel core 2 Duo with 2G RAM and have had no success with either.

I tried downloading other Arturia demos and they all worked fine. Is this only a problem with the Jupiter-8V demo or with the full version?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines