March 19, 2024, 04:01:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Brass Crashes Sonar  (Read 14520 times)

galanis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Brass Crashes Sonar
« on: January 28, 2007, 05:34:28 am »
Hi,
Tried to install Brass a couple of weeks ago. I have a PC 2.66 Ghz Pentium 4, with 2.00 Gb RAM and 3*80GB Hard disks running Windows XP Professional (Version 2002 SP2). Brass seemed to install correctly (no errors) and even seems to work in the Stand alone mode. But when I try to use it in Sonar 5 (Studio) either as a VST or DXi plugin, it seems to hang the whole computer. Inspecting performance using the Windows Task Manager indicates that around 600MB is used by the applications (with 1.5GB spare) but the CPU useage is sitting at 100%. This happens even with no other plugins and no audio being rendered. It just happens as soon as you try to load Brass as a plugin.

I have tried everything, including loading the latest version of Synchrosoft and the Brass 1.1 update from the Arturia site, installing Brass for generic processor, moving the dongle to other USB ports, and turning the virus checker off. I'm now at a loss.

Anyone have any ideas??    :(

galanis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Two weeks later and heard nothing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 11:24:56 am »
Is this normal? I put in a service request and have seen no progress whatsoever on my Brass problem. Not even an indication that anyone has even looked at it. Is this the way Arturia operate. What have others experiences been?
I may have to send Brass back and get a refund.

gecko961

Running into same problem
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:31:48 pm »
I'm running into the same problem trying to use BRASS with both SONAR 5 and 6. Was this issue ever resolved?

Ted Perlman

• http://www.tedperlman.com
Re: Brass Crashes Sonar
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 04:06:13 am »
Quote from: "galanis"
Tried to install Brass a couple of weeks ago

They really need to change the name. In case anybody at Arturia knows anything about music, a Saxophone is not a member of the Brass family and does not belong in anything labelled "Brass".

Typical Arturia misshap...besides the fact that Brass uses waaaaay too much CPU resources.

outland

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Musical Taxonomy of the Saxophone
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 02:55:05 pm »
Hi Ted:

In Jazz, Rock, Blues, and contemporary popular music, the saxophone is often referred to as "brass" (particularly when playing in a "brass section" with trumpets or trombones), hence Arturia's choice of cognomen. The main exception is big band music. There, the sax is often referred to as a "reed" to differentiate it from the "brasses".

In Classical (or "art music", if you prefer) the sax was of old generally considered a woodwind, but now, the trend seems to be to refer to it as a "bastard instrument". I'm not being coarse here, but this seems to be something of a technical reference (I'm judging from the contexts in which I've heard the term).

FWIW,

outand

musicman100

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 12:23:12 am »
Brass 2 is crashing Sonar producer 8.5 every time I try to load it as a VST.

BRASS will play as a stand alone instrument BUT only from its keyboard, it refuses to recognize any external midi inputs

DevinThomas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 01:36:06 am »
What worse than calling a sax a brass instrument is calling an ensemble a "kit" which is what Arturia does in Brass 2!

What's with that name? Are they thinking of a drum kit or something?

I think they need a better translator!

Devin Thomas

P.S. See my mini-review of Brass 2 under Brass Technical Issues forum!

jgnunez

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:34:19 am »
I can understand why some of you may be so "concern" about the name that Arturia decided to call certain things (like including a sax in the BRASS family or using the word KIT instead of assemble).

On the other hand, I am more concern with having my system crashing every time that I load BRASS (using Sonar 8.5). At this point I wouldn’t care whether or not they want to include a piano in this "kit" and call it BRASS 3. Good for me, more instruments under one hood...IF I can make it work, of course.

But, then again, that is just me… I don’t even speak English that well, right?

So, right now, I suggest we concentrate on having this software working for us and let's keep the nomenclature issue for later.

Just my two sent.

Thank you

jgnunez

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Brass Crashes Sonar YES: CONFIRMED !!! Please HELP
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:48:00 am »
Yes, it is true. It has been confirmed.

Brass 2 does not work as a VST with Sonar 8.5 nor did the BETA version either. I have reported this before but has not gotten an answer from Arturia. Does anyone know of a solution to this?

The standalone feature does work.

Thanks 

JAB3

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 05:34:18 am »
 :'(  Yes. Quadruple confirmed.  Arturia Brass 2.0 crashes Sonar 8.5.  I am surprised that the staff let the Beta Testing go to final release knowing that Sonar 8.5 crashed with Brass 2.0. Oh well, I will log a ticket to the technical support as well. But in the meantime, I will just use the Mojo Horn Section Kontact library I purchased last month.

outland

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 03:16:07 pm »
I can understand why some of you may be so "concern" about the name that Arturia decided to call certain things (like including a sax in the BRASS family or using the word KIT instead of assemble).

On the other hand, I am more concern with having my system crashing every time that I load BRASS (using Sonar 8.5). At this point I wouldn’t care whether or not they want to include a piano in this "kit" and call it BRASS 3. Good for me, more instruments under one hood...IF I can make it work, of course.

But, then again, that is just me… I don’t even speak English that well, right?

So, right now, I suggest we concentrate on having this software working for us and let's keep the nomenclature issue for later.

Just my two sent.

Thank you

Hi JG (I hope calling you that is okay; no disrespect intended):

No reason to ignore one at the expense of the other, I think. I only posted as I did to show that there are reasons for the cognomen, i.e., Arturia is not in error in calling it Brass, just following a different standard. Anyway....

But yes, obviously getting the s/w fully functional/stable across all professional platforms is the main thing. I hope there's a patch or update released soon.

outland
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:31:59 pm by outland »

AdamArnold

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:36:18 pm »
I solved my crashing problem. I hope it works for any of you. I opened Brass 2 in stand alone mode, and in the "Audio and Midi Settings" I didn't have the Pro Tools aggregate I/O box selected, and I see that I can also control the stand-alone module by either selecting MBox2 midi in, or the USB from my KeyStation.

I loaded 3 tracks on pro tools 9, and when it is a CPU hog (27%now), it has recorded and played back some mean trombone solos. I love the bones, the saxes and trumpets? No. But I am just starting to play with it. I might find a way to ,like

I assumed that pro tools or Brass 2 would have automatically hooked the I/O up on their own. So I learn.

Hope it helps anyone,

Adam

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines