April 19, 2024, 09:31:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI control via wheels, sliders, etc.  (Read 8441 times)

bg

• Beta-testers
MIDI control via wheels, sliders, etc.
« on: October 27, 2003, 04:39:32 pm »
MIDI control of on-screen levers works in reverse of what might be expected.  Hardware wheels and sliders have to be at maximum to make CS-80V controls be at minimum.  I understand the logic of doing it this way, as this behavior matches the direction of the on-screen controls.  Perhaps it's just me, but it seemed counter-intuitive.  Suggestion:  In the MIDI learn box, add a polarity reverse check box.

SirTemplar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:56:40 am »
It is true, it is a little hard to get used to after working with other software synths or when switching from one synth to SC80 and back again.

omissis

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 08:50:41 am »
Hi
maybe I'm getting wrong but I believe this is more about the controller itself which would have to change its polarity....I don't know :roll:  :roll:
Max

a CS-80Vist

f.massara

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 11:19:11 am »
If I remember well from the manual, this has been a programmer's choice to preserve the original "unusual" feature of the instrument.
Maybe a wise choice could be to let the user choose between two different "skins" / workflow approach. But I assume it probably would be complicated, dunno...

omissis

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 12:37:09 pm »
:shock:  :shock: OH NO PLEASE!!!!

I got used to these backwards levers on CS-80V! It reminds me also of old Oberheim pitch-mod levers which were reverse polarized on the OB series ( pitch up = lever DOWN!! ).
Anyway I go on saying it is the physical controller itself who would feature a polarity reversion though.... :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

FabP

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 02:32:50 pm »
Good idea..

But I'm afraid that if we change anything too much far from the original, some people won't like it !!  :D
Fabrice PAUMIER
ARTURIA Marketing Manager

bg

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 06:45:37 pm »
Since my initial post, I've changed my mind.  After working with the CS-80V since its release and learning all I can about the original, I've become accustomed to the way the controls work and now actually find it natural!

BTW, I noticed that the 1.2 update reversed the polarity of the Exp pedal input.  It now behaves "normally"--toe down louder, heel down softer.  Before 1.2, it was the opposite and like the original CS-80, I believe.

When in doubt, keep it like the orginal.   :wink:

omissis

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 07:58:35 pm »
When you deal with a real CS-80 you deal with an enormous array of controls but in facts you "play" the most with the performance controllers...I think that Yamaha engineers considered that when you're playing something you have to do it the most natural way , it means you have to think to music and not thinking about how to set your hand for tweaking the given control ( that's also why the CS-80 had "false" sliders : it really had knobs under the panel but on the control surface they were treated as  sliders and with the look of them!!!)....well, the most natural way they thought  to get a change in the sound was by pulling something rather than pushing it.......luckily they were right
BTW : even the levers were nothing more than knobs but they were built to reach the most easy way to control them!!

When in doubt, keep it like the orginal.  

Nothing to add, you're right mate
Max

a CS-80Vist

Pihmukhak

• http://how-to.buy9.info/start-a-podcast.html
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 10:12:55 pm »
Too early...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines